RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Would this trailer be too much for use? (Ford F150 and Micro Minnie)

We just checked out a 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108FBS today that we really liked. But I wanted to check in with people who are a lot smarter about these things than I am to make sure we wouldn’t be making a mistake.

We tow with a 2017 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with the 145” wheelbase, 3.55 axle, and max trailer tow package and 7000# GVWR package. I’ve checked in the manual and it looks like it has a GCWR of 16900 lbs. The sticker inside the driver’s door says the GVWR is 7000 lbs. And the yellow sticker in the door says our vehicle can take people and cargo up to 1754 lbs. We have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar for our current trailer as well, if that makes a difference. The truck would be carrying me, my husband and our daughter, who all together weigh about 400 lbs.

The Micro Minnie 2108FBS has a GVWR of 7000 lbs, and a dry weight of 3900 lbs. The sales guy showed us the sticker on the side of the trailer and told us it could carry up to 3100 lbs of cargo — which I am 100% positive we would never reach. Our current trailer has a CCC of 915 lbs, and we’ve always been fine with that. It’s also extremely unlikely we’d be driving with any of the tanks full — we never have in the 5 years we’ve had our current trailer. We don’t ever camp anywhere that doesn’t have a dump station on site, even if it is dry camping otherwise. (Though it wouldn’t hurt to know whether it would even be safe to drive with, say, a full fresh water tank given our tow vehicle - it has a fresh water capacity of 31 gallons, and black and grey of 25 gallons each).

Would this be a reasonable trailer given our tow vehicle? Or is the 7000 GVWR on the Winnebago cutting it too close, even though I doubt we’d ever get close to that.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information too. And thank you for your insights! We want to be sure we don’t make a costly mistake.

dani80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani80 View Post
We just checked out a 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108FBS today that we really liked. But I wanted to check in with people who are a lot smarter about these things than I am to make sure we wouldn’t be making a mistake.

We tow with a 2017 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with the 145” wheelbase, 3.55 axle, and max trailer tow package and 7000# GVWR package. I’ve checked in the manual and it looks like it has a GCWR of 16900 lbs. The sticker inside the driver’s door says theGVWR is 7000 lbs. And the yellow sticker in the door says our vehicle can take people and cargo up to 1754 lbs. We have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar for our current trailer as well, if that makes a difference. The truck would be carrying me, my husband and our daughter, who all together weigh about 400 lbs.

The Micro Minnie 2108FBS has a GVWR of 7000 lbs, and a dry weight of 3900 lbs. The sales guy showed us the sticker on the side of the trailer and told us it could carry up to 3100 lbs of cargo — which I am 100% positive we would never reach. Our current trailer has a CCC of 915 lbs, and we’ve always been fine with that. It’s also extremely unlikely we’d be driving with any of the tanks full — we never have in the 5 years we’ve had our current trailer. We don’t ever camp anywhere that doesn’t have a dump station on site, even if it is dry camping otherwise. (Though it wouldn’t hurt to know whether it would even be safe to drive with, say, a full fresh water tank given our tow vehicle - it has a fresh water capacity of 31 gallons, and black and grey of 25 gallons each).

Would this be a reasonable trailer given our tow vehicle? Or is the 7000 GVWR on the Winnebago cutting it too close, even though I doubt we’d ever get close to that.
I think you are confusing YOUR Truck's GVWR with travel trailer's GVWR.

I think you are going to be fine with that Truck trailer combo. (IF set up properly)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

You are good to go with that truck / trailer combo. You have plenty of truck and power so have fun.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I think you are confusing YOUR Truck's GVWR with travel trailer's GVWR.

I think you are going to be fine with that Truck trailer combo. (IF set up properly)
The white sticker inside the door frame on our truck says “GVWR: 3175 KG (7000 LB)”. The spec sheet for the trailer also says GVWR of 7000 lbs. So they are the same.

Maybe the truck’s GVWR doesn’t matter, and it’s just referring to what it can handle on its own — no trailer. But I’ve been trying to read up on how to calculate what we can safely tow and as much as I am generally a numbers person, I am not a car/truck person and I freely admit my brain feels like it has blown past its own towing capacity. So, please do correct me if I’m confused on anything though!

Any tips on what setting the truck and trailer up properly would look like with this combo? Does that mean ensuring the right payloads within limits of each axle? Ensuring the weight is distributed properly throughout the trailer and between the trailer and truck? What else needs to be considered?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Get a Weight Distributing Hitch with cam-lock sway control (run away from friction sway control) and as others have said - you'll be good to go.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

Would this trailer be too much for use? (Ford F150 and Micro Minnie)

Your truck’s white sticker with GVWR of 7,000 lbs relates only to the truck. With a cargo capacity of 1,750 lbs this means your truck weighs about 7,000 - 1,750 = 5,250 lbs. Now, your actual truck weight is probably higher than that with various options so your actual cargo capacity is just less than 1,750 lbs. All of this has no relationship to your travel trailer’s GVWR of 7,000 lbs. Two different things.

All that being said, your 1,750 lbs payload/cargo capacity is more than enough. Your 7,000 lb TT will need 12%-15% of its weight on the hitch for towing stability, so that is about 900 lbs. Add another 75-100 lbs for hitch hardware and you are at 1,000 lbs loading the ball on your truck. That leaves you 1,750 - 1,000 = 750 lbs for people and everything else you will load into your truck.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #7

Most 150/1500 series trucks are good up to 7,000 lbs. with towing a travel trailer type of trailer. They can tow more weight with a flatbed trailer or even a boat trailer.

The 1,750lbs cargo capacity of your truck is plenty to carry the tongue weight of your trailer plus people and other stuff in the truck as long as you do not go crazy.

I towed a 5,500lb travel trailer with a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre engine comfortably. The rig was so comfortably to tow I even let my wife drive for an hour. She never towed anything in her life. She was actually tickled pink towing. It was fun to watch her.

In 2015 the F-150 was redesigned and made better with a longer wheelbase which helps in towing. The Eco-Boost engine is the best engine in a 150/1500 series trucks to tow with.

In 2019 both GM and Ram caught up to Ford and maybe even passed Ford by a little bit. The 2019 GM 1500 series trucks are huge with a long wheelbase and solid frame. Same for Ram. The F-150 is going to be redesigned in 2021.

Bottom line - your truck is going to tow that trailer fine. Now if you want want to tow a Winnebago Mini Plus that trailer is too big.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Would this be a reasonable trailer given our tow vehicle?
Good match for your F-150, if you realize that you limiter is payload capacity (GVWR of the F-150 minus the weight of the F-150) and watch the weight you haul in the trailer and bed so you don't exceed the GVWR of your F-150.

Your F-150 has max payload capacity of 1,754 pounds. The TT has dry weight of 3,900. Which means it probably actually weighs about 4,500 with battery and propane tanks and some optional do-dads. If you don't load more than 1,000 pounds in the trailer, then 5,500 wet and loaded trailer. With 13% tongue weight (TW), that's 715 pounds TW. After you throw away your cheap WD hitch and replace it with good one such as an Equal-I-Zer or Blue Ox SwayPro, add 100 pounds to the TW to get hitch weight of 815 pounds. Add another 85 pounds of fresh water so you can flush the pottie while on the road. If the fresh water tank is under the front bed the way mine is, then assume all the water weight will add hitch weight. So about 900 pounds hitch weight. 1,754 payload capacity minus 900 hitch weight leaves 854 pounds of payload capacity you can use for people and stuff. With 400 pounds for people, that leaves 454 pounds for tools, jack and jack stands, toys, firewood, Dutch oven and stand for cooking over the campfire, and anything else you haul in the cab or bed.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Thank you, all! I really appreciate your insights on this.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #10

Dani80, everything is pointing to your TV and TT being a good match. One further criteria is rear axle load of your TV. You should have no trouble, but others with heavier trailers should check this critical weight rating. In addition to overall GVWR, all vehicles also have a rear axle gross weight rating. A heavy TT will require a heavy hitch weight to get that magic 13% hitch load for stability. That heavy weight loads primarily the rear axle and not the front axle so rear axle load versus it’s rating could be the limiting factor in many cases. The only way to verify is to be fully loaded up and then go to the weight scales. Again, with a lightweight TT, you will have no problem.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 AM   #11

Your combo will be as matched better than most anything on the road!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #12

Agree with Rolling Ragu.

I have a friend that tows his Micro Mini with his Toyota Tacoma. He says that his truck is maxxed out and really does not go far from home. Typically he camps at the 2 local State Parks both within 25 miles of his house.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:

We tow with a 2017 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with the 145” wheelbase, 3.55 axle, and max trailer tow package and 7000# GVWR package. I’ve checked in the manual and it looks like it has a GCWR of 16900 lbs. The sticker inside the driver’s door says the GVWR is 7000 lbs. And the yellow sticker in the door says our vehicle can take people and cargo up to 1754 lbs. We have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar for our current trailer as well, if that makes a difference. The truck would be carrying me, my husband and our daughter, who all together weigh about 400 lbs.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information too. And thank you for your insights! We want to be sure we don’t make a costly mistake.

Read the Ford tow specs from the manufacturer or get the tow specs from the dealer not the door jamb numbers.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Read the Ford tow specs from the manufacturer or get the tow specs from the dealer not the door jamb numbers.
What? Bad info.

The towing specs tell you only how heavy a trailer you can tow without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on hills and passes, and without overheating anything in the drivetrain. But the towing specs do not tell you if you are overloaded over the payload capacity of your tow vehicle.

Payload capacity is GVWR of the tow vehicle, minus the weight of the tow vehicle, including trailer tongue and hitch weight. If you exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle, you are exceeding the weight capacity of something in your chassis - tires, wheels, springs, suspension, service brake capacity, frame strength, something that makes it unsafe to tow that heavy a trailer with that tow vehicle.

Almost every wet and loaded tow vehicle will exceed the GVWR (and payload capacity) before they reach the GCWR (and towing capacity). So it's nice to know the towing specs, but it's critical to know the GVWR of your tow vehicle. The GVWR is one of the door jamb numbers. Weigh your wet and loaded rig, add the weights on the steer and drive axles to get GVW, then compare that GVW to the GVWR. If you exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle, you are not towing safely.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, trailer