Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
Well this all has me curious, I just bought a used Prowler Lynx fifth wheel it is a tandem axle 18.5' and it came with a set of Marathons on it already, they are fairly well used, but they are ST175/80R13.
Are these also a bad size for blowing, I see most of the others were bigger sizes.

Live life with no regrets.
partsman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #16
I just took delivery of a new Carriage Fifth Wheel at Lazy Days outside Tampa, Florida. I was very disappointed with the tires I found on this rig.

235X80X16 Load Range "D" Goodyear Marathons. One of them had a slice in the side wall. That has been changed out. This rig is >14,000lbs in GVW. In my opinion this installation is marginal and should have at least Load Range E tires. E's are 3/16" larger in size V and W.

Whats really disappointing is the manufacturer says thats the tire for the rig.

Before I venture to far from the house some E's in the form of XPS Michelins will be on there.

Will update the Avatar when I finally leave Lazy Days. Headed for Fort Wilderness from here. Have all the grand kids on board.

CoastalDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers

I find it interesting that your new Carriage 5th wheel has a 235/80R16 load range 'D' tire mounted as the original equipment tire. The Carriage website indicates those trailers are equipped with 215/75R17.5 H-range tires as standard on models CW374, CW376, CW382 & CW378. Perhaps yours isn't one of those models or perhaps you have the Carri-Lite trailer or the Cameo-LXI trailer which gets the 16" tires?

Michelin indicates their 215/75R17.5 XTA tires are rated at 4805# @ 120# psi.

As a point of interest, the 235/80 R16 load range 'D' tires you have are rated for 3000" @ 65 psi, not much different from the ratings of 3042# @ 80# psi for a 16" tire in range 'E' but a whole lot different from the 215/75R17.5 range 'H' tires listed on the website.

Perhaps there's a misprint on the website, a 4805# tire seems like it'd be overkill on a 5th wheel trailer with a GVWR around 14,000#.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #18
Lost 2 Goodyear Marathons on the way home from the rally in PA. One was a blowout the other has a separation in the tread. Got the first one adjusted have not tried for the 2nd one yet.

01 Sunnybrook 33 BWS

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #19
I've sent Carriage an E-mail asking about the Load Range D tires. The Carriage I have is the Compass. GVW>14,000.

I realize there's not much differance in the D's and E's for capacity, but there are two extra plys in the sidewall that make the differance in my opinion. Marathons tend to blow out in that direction.

Will let you know what they say.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #20
Carriage says the reason they use the Load Range "D" Marathons is to provide a softer ride for the coach. My response to that was change the shocks and use a better tire that is a load range "E"

The info they gave me on my axles ratings indicates that at max GVW there is 500 lbs of displacement left in the Marathons. That does not leave much in the 4 tires for dynamic loading, meaning boucing on the interstate.

They also said Goodyear recently increased the load rating of this tire to 3000lbs at 65psi.

I found two brands of tires in the 235x80x16 size of Load range "E". One is rated at 3042 (Trailer Kings) and the other at 3570lbs. The ones rated at 3570 are 125.00 each on the net.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #21
I've had the Michelin's XPS Ribs on my trailer for two years now, love them and not a hint of problems, quite a change after those xxoo#@&$ Carlisles!!!

I was so satisfied that I went with Michelins on the tow as well,replacing the Wranglers with Michelin LTX M/S last year.

Bob and Lois, Snowbirds!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #22
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I realize there's not much differance in the D's and E's for capacity, but there are two extra plys in the sidewall that make the differance in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ain't so. The difference between Ds & Es is the ability to carry more air pressure for more load capacity.

The tires only have three plies of cord, don't they? Read the fine print on the sidewall. Tires DO NOT have 4, or 6, or 8, or 10 or more plies of tire cord in the tire body. That was cotton cord of 50 years ago. Modern Load Range E tires have 3 plies of cord unless they're steel...those have 1 ply. The only 4 ply tires I know of are specially made for off-road racing and not suitable for everyday use.

I agree about the virtues of the Michelin XPS, but just about any quality Light Truck highway rib-tread Load Range E tire will be the best for trailers in 16". There are no LT tires that carry the load of ST tires in 15". In 14", Cooper and Kumho 857 offer LT tires that do a fine job for trailers.

KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KLS:
I agree about the virtues of the Michelin XPS, but just about any quality Light Truck highway rib-tread Load Range E tire will be the best for trailers in 16". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A key difference is that the Michelin XPS Rib is all-steel radial construction. They ran noticeably cooler than the E-rated Goodyear Wrangler HT polyester-and-steel radials that came as OEM equipment on our previous 5th wheel. The G-rated (3750 lbs @ 110 PSI) LT235/85R-16G Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST radials on our current 5th wheel share the XPS's all-steel construction and cool running characteristics. Both the XPS Rib and G614 RST are recommended by their manufacturers for commercial trailer service.

My point - not all 16" E-rated LT tires are equal.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote