Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_28602
Yet another tow question

My wife has put a down payment on a TT. (2008 Fleetwood Prowler 2702BS) I have tried to tell her that we do not have a tow vehicle capable of safely towing it but she doesn't believe me. We have a 2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x2, 4.6 engine, with tow package. Here is the info on the TT:

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 6456 / 2928.4
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 1344 / 609.6
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 7800 / 3538.1
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 676 / 306.6

When we were talking with the salesman he punched in all of the information into his computer and said that my truck could safely pull 8100 pounds. My wife says that is more than enough to pull the TT which I disagree with. Even with a stabilzer hitch and a sway bar do we have enough truck to tow the camper safely and without burning up my truck? We will not be towing the TT across country or anything like that, but I would like to have enough truck to tow it to a campground further than 1-2 hours away.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_28602 View Post
We have a 2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x2, 4.6 engine, with tow package. Here is the info on the TT:

GVWR (lbs/kgs) 7800 / 3538.1
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 676 / 306.6
Your truck has a tow rating of up to pounds 7770 max trailer weight.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tundra/2008/features-specs.html?sub=double-cab&style=100948538

Maximum towing capacity: 7770 lbs.**
Maximum payload: 1415 lbs.**
** = note that word "maximum", which assumes you have the tow pkg, etc.

But the tow rating assumes an empty truck with nothing in it but a skinny driver. As a rule of thumb, subtract about 1,000 pounds from the tow rating to get a realistic actual tow rating of a wet and loaded truck ready to tow without being overloaded when you pull into the CAT scale in the middle of your trip.

So with your truck, I'd want a TT with a max GVWR of 6,800 pounds. The trailer you're about to buy has a GVWR of 7,800 pounds. So you're probably going to be a few hundred pounds overloaded when you drag that trailer to the lake with family and normal stuff in the truck and trailer.

Also note the hitch weight. Your truck with no options has a max payload for people, stuff, gas, hitch and hitch weight of 1,415 pounds. So you cannot haul a back seat full of linebackers and that TT at the same time without being overloaded.

Quote:
Even with a stabilzer hitch and a sway bar do we have enough truck to tow the camper safely and without burning up my truck?
Barely, maybe, if you are extremely careful about what you load into the truck and camper when towing. Travel with empty holding tanks, only a few gallons of fresh water for flushing the pottie, and paper plates in the camper. And only you and the wife and no additional weight in the truck. And as soon as you hit the road, pull into a truckstop with a CAT scale, fill up with gas, then weigh the rig so you'll know how much overloaded you are. The gross combined weight should not exceed the GCWR of the Tundra, and the weight on the 4 truck tires should not exceed the GVWR of the Tundra.

If you don't exceed the GCWR of the tow vehicle, then you should have no problems of overheating anything in the drivetrain, even when climbing mountain passes. But if you get close to the GCWR of the tow vehicle, you can expect to be the slowpoke holding up traffic on the mountain passes.

Your most likely problem caused by overloaded towing is an overheated tranny, which will crap out on you in a very short time of too-high tranny temps. So I would not tow over any hills or mountains without a good tranny temp gauge. The red line is 225 with the sender in the pan (sump) of the tranny. If it gets over that, stop, put the tranny in neutral or park, and elevate the engine RPM to about 1,200 RPM until the tranny cools off to around 210.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

I have always beleived that anything over 6,000 Lbs you should at least have a 3/4 ton pick-up not only for the weight and power but a stronger trans, turnda will pull it but again like the other guy said you risk it sell the taundra and get a 3/4 in gas or Diesel...best of luck
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
No you do not have enough truck to control the trailer swaying and fish tailing even with equalizer hitch and anti sway bar. You need a TV with a stronger suspension system and longer wheel base. Salesmen lie to get your money.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #5

I was towing a trailer with a Yukon XL. My TT is a little heavier than yours plus I had my family. I could pull it just fine but would get sway even with two anti sway bars on my WDH. I thought that was normal. The scary part came when I did a test to stop the truck quickly as in an emergency situation. It wasn't good. I started shopping and even pulled my TT with one of the trucks. Huge difference in control, stopping, etc. I picked up my GMC 2500HD diesel yesterday. After seeing the difference it was a no brainier.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
CD

Our 28' TT weighs 9K actual traveling weight (dry 6300). We towed it with a 3/4T Dodge wl Cummins. It towed OK but when we got the 1T dually the handling was so much better I wouldn't go back to a SRW truck.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #7

Sometimes it pays to listen to the ones that have experience about the ropes and toads...lol
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
No you do not have enough truck to control the trailer swaying and fish tailing even with equalizer hitch and anti sway bar. You need a TV with a stronger suspension system and longer wheel base. Salesmen lie to get your money.
X2 need larger truck to be safe
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I actually caught a gas truck on fire towing a toy hauler. It burner to the ground. Then i bought a 3/4 ton diesel. Yes, you can pull the TT with your truck but you will never really feel safe doing so.

3/4 ton trucks have beefier brakes, better trannys and larger cooling systems. If all goes well your tranny will be the first to complain, then warped brakes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
That particular Tundra is also known for not-so-great brakes....
Old 06-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris
I was towing a trailer with a Yukon XL. My TT is a little heavier than yours plus I had my family. I could pull it just fine but would get sway even with two anti sway bars on my WDH. I thought that was normal. The scary part came when I did a test to stop the truck quickly as in an emergency situation. It wasn't good. I started shopping and even pulled my TT with one of the trucks. Huge difference in control, stopping, etc. I picked up my GMC 2500HD diesel yesterday. After seeing the difference it was a no brainier.
By the way my wife thought our Yukon was fine until I did the stop test. Then she understood why we needed to make a change.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also note the maximum tow rating is reduced by the current payload weight, Including the weight of the wife, and your weight as well (Save for the first 150 pounds) those ratings assume the truck is being driven by a 150 pound driver and for the max tow the bed and cab are otherwise empty.