Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #15

Jam17....just as a side note/example, I had a 2011 F250 Crew Cab diesel XLT with 4x4 and the 6.75' bed. My yellow/white payload sticker = 2148 lbs. Not very much for a 3/4 Ton truck with 400HP and 800 ft. lbs of torque. The lack of available payload capacity was the nail in the coffin for me. My Toy Hauler has a 13,000 lb GVWR and I am now towing it with a F350 diesel Dually. Somewhat overkill for it, but plenty of available payload and plenty of room for upgrading at a later time if I want to.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Stirring the pot:

2015 Minnie 2451BHS:
Used 2015 Winnebago Industries Towables Minnie 2451 BHS Travel Trailer at Stoltzfus RVs | Adamstown, PA | #15766A

Edit: And a big road trip... not kidding, hear me out. Sunnybrook "birthed" the Winnebago line of travel trailers. Consider this a Minnie with "many" more features, and better quality. 5,500 lb dry weight, and I challenge anyone to find a better built, higher quality, new trailer at 2x the price.
You are being redirected...

Brochure (2011 identical to 2012)
http://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckima...%20Harmony.pdf

Heated, insulated tanks, all aluminum superstructure, 2" thick walls, pocket jig screw cabinets, hardwood faces, porcelain toilet, metal plumbing fixtures, high gloss gel coat exterior fiberglass, trail-air suspension with shock absorbers, heavy duty trailer frame.

Back to your regular program...
Oh my gosh you are awesome! I keep hearing what a great community this is, and it is for real apparently!

We actually saw that first one (it stunk to high heaven... I know with a little airing out it would be ok, but it was heavily smoked in and for the price, didn't seem worth paying almost as much for something that we would have to clean so much, and it had the old color scheme and we really like the new lighter colored wood.... and the bunk beds are bigger in the 2455 which allows our daughter some space to grow in it as she gets older...

The other ones are certainly far! but definitely will take a look at them!

Thank you for doing all this leg work for us!
JAM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #17

Ok, last time stoking the fire...

Here's a Sunnybrook 25CKS basically a long days drive from PA.
Forum ad: http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...harmony&cat=13

Craigslist (Tennesee/Kentucky border, Dale Hollow Lake)
https://cookeville.craigslist.org/rv...235227679.html

Read through this post, paying attention to Cruzbill, and his link to the Harmony sales manual, also watch the Haylett RV video of a different Harmony model and compare it to the new Minnie's. Winnebago bought out Sunnybrook to start the Minnie brand of travel trailers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/need-...ml#post3726253

I've spoken with the seller on behalf of a co-worker, and it comes complete as pictured, except for the quilt in the bedroom, and the outside chairs. Kitchen appliances, silverware all hookup hoses, chocks, blocks, even the WD hitch, are included and the price is down to $ 13,500 asking. I think the price point and age, puts it in a narrow spot. Too expensive for many cash buyers, too old and low cost for payment buyers?

Anyhow, it is a really nice trailer, that needs a good home, especially a family who is careful with their money. Hey, with the money you save on the right used truck, you could hire a local RV tech, get the trailer inspected, buy it, and save enough to do lots more camping.

(What is the deal with Normal Dave and those Sunnybrooks anyhow...?)
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Ok, last time stoking the fire...

Here's a Sunnybrook 25CKS basically a long days drive from PA.
Forum ad: http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...harmony&cat=13

Craigslist (Tennesee/Kentucky border, Dale Hollow Lake)
https://cookeville.craigslist.org/rv...235227679.html

Read through this post, paying attention to Cruzbill, and his link to the Harmony sales manual, also watch the Haylett RV video of a different Harmony model and compare it to the new Minnie's. Winnebago bought out Sunnybrook to start the Minnie brand of travel trailers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/need-...ml#post3726253

I've spoken with the seller on behalf of a co-worker, and it comes complete as pictured, except for the quilt in the bedroom, and the outside chairs. Kitchen appliances, silverware all hookup hoses, chocks, blocks, even the WD hitch, are included and the price is down to $ 13,500 asking. I think the price point and age, puts it in a narrow spot. Too expensive for many cash buyers, too old and low cost for payment buyers?

Anyhow, it is a really nice trailer, that needs a good home, especially a family who is careful with their money. Hey, with the money you save on the right used truck, you could hire a local RV tech, get the trailer inspected, buy it, and save enough to do lots more camping.

(What is the deal with Normal Dave and those Sunnybrooks anyhow...?)
That is not a bad deal! We are going to check out those links tonight! Thank you!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #19

Yet Another Truck Purchase Question

Someone above mentioned and was sort of pushing the 5.0 engine. No doubt it is a good engine, but one thing to consider concerning choosing it over the 3.5 EB is altitude. I don't recall you mentioning where you live or where you plan to camp, but if your camping plans may someday include going out West you will most likely encounter altitudes ranging up to passes as high as 10,000' or more. As Ford explained to me and research has showed, normally aspirated engines lose up to 50% of their power at higher altitudes, while turbo boosted engines lose around 12%. The 3.5 EB with its twin turbos will blow the socks off the 5.0 anytime, anywhere and most especially on the long, steep climbs. Two days ago, in Washington, we pulled our TT up a little 6-8% grade that took 5-6 miles over Sherman Pass at around 5-6,000' and our 3.5 EB purred along without breaking a sweat. Where I think the 5.0 might be better is on the steep descents where it probably has better engine braking. Also, if you are going to use it as a daily driver get something above the basic XL. We love our Platinum!
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #20

I have a 2017 F250 CCLB 4WD 4.30 axle ratio and it is a terrific tow vehicle. Light years ahead of the 5.4 E250 I had before.
My comment is about the mountains. I live or Portland and go over the mountains to go to the beach or Eastern Oregon. I have zero problems towing and if the engine loses some power at altitude I don't notice it.
The Coyote V8 will tackle any hill you encounter with no problems. The 3.5 EB is nice but you could easily live without it. All engines are complicated but the long term costs on the twin turbo could be higher.
You have a good plan you are following to select your truck and trailer. My preference would be the crew cab because it makes it much easier to go out with friends both while camping and at home. My grand daughter loves it and my sons twins fit in with no problems with their HUGE car seats.
I hope you enjoy the lifestyle as much as my wife and I do.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #21

With that 4.30 rear end I doubt you would ever have a problem. LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #22

OK, gang, road trip or fly and buy, but here's a dealer that knows how to order their 5.0L trucks...

Both are XLT Crew 2WD
5.0L
3.55 locking
302A package
HD Trailer Tow
Integrated brake controller
36 gallon tank

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....EW1CFXHFB61779

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....EW1CF1HFA57102

Ford Trucks RWD For Sale Near Charlotte NC

Now Ford folks, lots of confusion on "Max Tow Package" vs "HD Tow". I think our OP is fine with HD tow... I've read the Max Tow automatically include brake controller, but you can add brake controller to HD tow...Thoughts?

Hard to find these 5.0L with the 3.55 gears.

Edit:
Uh Oh...this one is bound to make your husband break out in a cold sweat:
F-250 SD XL
Super Cab
6.2 V8
3.73 locking
power package (windows, locks, mirrors)
4x4
long bed
snow plow prep (to clear the driveway of course)
integrated brake controller
and (drum roll please) upfitter switches!
On special for $ 35K
http://huntersvilleford.com/ford-f-2...otte-nc-217627

-you know, that's a lot of truck for the money...and it does have power windows, and with a 10K GVWR, you can get whatever trailer you want!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #23

Lots of good advice so far but i do have a question. Will you be doing any of the driving/towing when on vacation with the trailer? IF so, i wonder how comfortable you will be in the drivers seat of an F150 towing a trailer like that on the Interstates. You and your husband may want to look at a 3/4 ton Ram. Smokeywren has done a lot of research and is very knowledgeable on this forum. However, the truck he posted is about a bare bones F150 with some "additional" features but is still darn near a work truck at best. Ford trucks always cost more compared to the other two truck makers, especially Ram.

Here is food for thought. The pic is a file photo of a truck. CLick on the window sticker to see all the details of the Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. IT is less expensive than the F150 and you get more truck. You could order a truck like in the link from Dennis Dillon with a few more options like a Big Horn Model and be at the same price as the bare bones F150 XL truck listed earlier.

YEs, this is a 3/4 ton truck and i understand you will have to drive it as a daily driver but that is doable with some practice and patients.

New 2017 Ram 2500 Tradesman For Sale in Caldwell Near Boise, Nampa, ID | Vin:3C6UR5CJXHG776529
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #24

While I usually find myself working to follow the OP's interests and targets, Here comes Parks, injecting logic and reason into the discussion.

Compare this Ram Tradesman in Carmichaels, PA to the F-250 XL I posted above.
New 2017 Ram 2500 For Sale | Brownsville PA

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...UR5CJ9HG740332

"Woof..."
Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #25

That's a nice truck Dave. Great find.

OP, one thing to consider is that YOU will be the one driving the truck as a daily driver, from what you said earlier. You also need to consider your time behind the wheel when towing the trailer. It is my opinion that an inexperienced driver of a tow vehicle is much more suited to drive a 3/4 ton truck over a 1/2 ton when the weights are pushing 7-8K lbs. Then consider an inexperienced driver towing over mountain passes or in heavy winds or on say interstate 40 with dozens of tractor trailers per mile. Everyone talks about how well a truck will tow a trailer up a hill. Few will consider the braking and handling of the same truck and trailer going down a steep mountain pass.

Knowing all this, driving a 3/4 ton truck to the grocery store and having to park in the back of the lot where there is more space seems like an easy and sensible option to being able to tow safely.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #26

You all are so awesome! This has been so incredibly helpful. I have decided that the F150s that are available, especially used in our area, lack the appropriate towing capacity (they barely equip any of them with the max/heavy duty towing package) that I feel comfortable with, being that I will be the primary driver day to day and likely will have to pull the trailer occasionally, so I think we are going to move up to an F250. They are more plentiful/cheaper used, and have everything we need without having to add 10k to the price of the truck.... I have really looked at all your links and used all of the information in consideration, so I greatly appreciate it! I know there are a lot of "hidden" costs when first buying both a TV and a TT so I want to be as economical upfront as we can. Thankfully, I only travel like 4 miles a day from work and back, so I am not as worried about driving it all the time, but I certainly want to have more faith in my truck while carrying the trailer with my kid in the back and I think the only way to do that is to up it to a HD truck.

Thank you all! I'll update once we have actually purchased one or the other
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #27

And she slammed the door!
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #28

Smart Lady right there!..........
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase