Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Yet another TT tire pressure question...

Hi All,

On a recent trip out west I had an experience that was a new one to me. I always set my TT tires to the max (50) before I roll out and periodically (once a day usually) check the pressure. I expect them to warm and go over 50psi during the trip and assume the tires are designed for this. But this past trip I was dealing with what I consider serious outside temperature swings. There were a few days where it was 107-109 degrees outside, and could get down to 60's at night.

So on these real hot days, tires that I set at 50 were going up to 55-58psi when checked. Then in the AM, they might be at 43-45. Keeping this in mind, there were a couple days where I left them at 45, knowing the days heat would bring them up to 50 (and it did).

So, whats the right thing to do? Put them at 50 in the AM and let them go over? Put them at 50 and if they go over let out some air? Or leave them lower in the AM and let them get to the max target of 50 on their own? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks for any replies,

2014 Jayco Jayflight 264 BH
2009 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax w/ Tow Package
daveRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Set your pressure at 50 in the morning before the sun hits the tires. Do not let air out during the day. The additional gain in pressure while running was taken into account by the manufacturer, and is normal.

When you replace your current tires, replace with D or E rated.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What timetogo said.

If you have one or more blow outs on trailer tires, immediately replace all with one size bigger, plus at least load range D. That might mean you must also replace the wheels. For example, three of my trailers came with ST205/75R15C tires with 5.5" wide wheels. I replaced them with ST225/75R15D on one trailer and ST225/75R15 E on two other trailers. But 225/75R15 tires require a minimum wheel width of 6". So I ordered new trailer wheels from Southwest Wheel's https://www.trailerpart.com/p-406-128696.aspx
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Thanks for the replies...haven't had a blowout, just wanted to be safe.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 264 BH
2009 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax w/ Tow Package
daveRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
50 psi is the recommended cold temperature for most situations. However, Goodyear allows 60 psi COLD in certain situations even when the sidewall suggests 50 psi.

Most blow outs are caused by too little pressure, that lets the tire flex too much and the sidewall falls apart.

Another problem with cheap trailer tires is they wear really fast. I went through the cheap set that came on my trailer from the previous owner in a bit over 5,000 miles.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Thanks for the replies...haven't had a blowout, just wanted to be safe.
The heavier the tire the more heat they can generate. I've seen my LT235/85-16 E at 80 psi tires on my equipment trailers with close to max loads run as high as 92-94 psi in 100 degree heat and a long run at interstate speeds.
All my tires on my trailers are cold set at max PSI.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
I would set them at the max in the morning and not worry about it. I would however worry about those ST's in the hot summer heat. Watch you speed and weight.

2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote

tire pressure