Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Before I bought my first RV there were no online forums, in fact there were no PC's. However these forums still help me get through the day and enter into any of my decision's on what/ or how before I proceed.

well there were no IBM pc's nor any internet but there was arpanet when I bought my first one in the 70's (or does a hippy dippy shag carpeted van count as one ?!? )

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
My 1st RV was a 5ver I bought from a friend, making payments to him, while I lived in it in his back yard. NEVER had a truck to move it. Had a RV mover tow it to the house I bought 4 years later. Sold it and used an enclosed bike trailer with a queen size mattress as an RV. That was better than a tent and the best I could afford - untill a former roommates dad had a salesman insult him on the trade value on a 2007 Salem LE Toyhauler. Bought it at such a deal, I have been offered 2x what I paid for it several times, and that would have been a sweet deal for them! Only problem was, it was too much for my 1500 GMC so I had to upgrade my truck.
Oh, and I found this site while researching "TOWING". Great info here.

Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
I bought a popup (RVs are too big for Korea) and had it shipped. I arranged everything on-line and over the phone. I also believed the brochures. Big mistake.
I presumed that everything would be as well-built as my 2007 trailer.

THEN I found the forums...
"I'm such a stupid."
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I joined this forum at the beginning of September, 2012 while I was looking at the RV that I was going to purchase. Got it at the end of September, 2012 and just recently passed the one year mark for both this forum and my RV. Glad I joined.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by biron View Post
Just a question here how many logged into a discussion forum before there first RV purchase? lol I learned the hard way then found the forums The advice here is great if you come here first, go figure. What was your first experience purchasing the RV and TV like. Did you take the RV dealers' word as to what you should purchase?
Good question.

You can look back at the first of my >9000 posts on this forum and I'm asking questions like... "what does RV stand for?"

A short time after that I bought my first RV... a new 40DP.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Didn't have forums in the '60s when we bought our first factory built RV which was a new 8' '68 slide in truck camper. Before that it was WW II box tents and a progression up to panel trucks and station wagons and then pickup trucks.
Having pulled GN and 5th wheel flatdeck trailers for a living commercially starting in the early '60s I already knew how much payload a truck could carry legally/safely and how much load it could pull safely and still have a normal work life expectancy.

I don't trash sales folks about weight issues as IMO its not their job nor should they be the one to tell me what my truck can carry or pull. They don't have size and weight training.
The truck owner is the only one responsible for the loads his truck carries and how much weight it pulls..... not a salesperson.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine was in the mid 70's also, no internet or pcs, '68 8 1/2' slide in truck camper. Had a '73 3/4 ton pickup.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
My first RV was a Class A and was a major disaster! I knew nothing about them, did not do much research and ended up buying a leaking lemon!.... In all honesty, the private party that I purchased it from told me it had roof leaks. But I figured, WTH, I can seal that up with no problem..... Well it also had electrical problems that he did not tell me about. Took me a month to figure out why it would start one time but not the next. Then for our first trip! We were so excited! It was only to Nashville for a weekend car rally/show but it was gonna be great! Well, it rained the night before we were to leave (first time since resealing the roof). When we opened the door the next morning, the water was pouring in from around the AC unit and the carpet was soaked. I was pissed and my girl friend was about to cry. But...it had stopped raining, the sun was shining, so we went anyway. We had the '51 Belair strapped to the car hauler and all hooked up so away we went to Nashville. Since I did no research about buying an RV, why would I have bothered to research how to tow a trailer behind one..... Needless to say it was white knuckle driving for the entire 3+ hours to Nashville.

I will say this, even with all this trouble (and I take full blame for it ALL) once we got to the event, it was one of the most enjoyable experiences we've had at one of these car shows and we still talk about it.

Of course I sold that RV right after that at a considerable loss. BUT....lesson learned.. Here is a pic of that RV....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firstrv.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	52133  
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now I feel old. I have purchased not one, but two rv's before Al Gore invented the internet.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Now I feel old. I have purchased not one, but two rv's before Al Gore invented the internet.
But think of the experience that you have to offer

Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote