Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

Your first RV purchase

Just a question here how many logged into a discussion forum before there first RV purchase? lol I learned the hard way then found the forums The advice here is great if you come here first, go figure. What was your first experience purchasing the RV and TV like. Did you take the RV dealers' word as to what you should purchase?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Hind sight twenty twenty

I was told ten years ago at an RV show( I was brand new) that a 3/4 ton truck would be more then adequate for the fifth wheel I was purchasing. I bought a new then, 2003 Ram 5.9 diesel with confidence and found later that the payload of the truck was 200lbs under the pin weight, lol, only found this out after coming to forums like this. Later when I wanted more slides my truck was not legally up for it. So there is the truck for today's RV and the TV for when you figure out what you really want. Some consumers' might say bigger is better when it comes to your comforts on the road and that applies to tow vehicles too. (just ordered a new dually hope my next RV is not to big for it, lol) Oh and if your building a garage bigger is better too as my new trailer will not fit my 30' x 40' RV barn, go figure.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I bought my first RV there were no online forums, in fact there were no PC's. However these forums still help me get through the day and enter into any of my decision's on what/ or how before I proceed.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

We knew our objective - to find a MH or 5th wheel or TT to full-time in for 12-18 months at a minimum as we traveled.

When we decided a 5th wheel best met our needs, we researched different manufacturers for layouts. We toured factories & spoke with owners of different brands about the pros & cons of the brand. Touring RV shows & reading forums gave us more insight.

After 2 years of prep, we knew the brand we wanted, the layout we wanted, & that we would do a custom order to get exactly what we desired. Then & only then, we interview dealers to find one we felt comfortable with.

As to the TV, we narrowed the choices after we selected the 5er. Again we did a special order to get exactly what we wanted.

We're very happy with our choices with no regrets. We'd do it the same way again.

Martha
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Before I bought my first RV there were no online forums, in fact there were no PC's. However these forums still help me get through the day and enter into any of my decision's on what/ or how before I proceed.
You must have purchased your first RV in diapers, lol. I wouldn't think of making a big buck decision now without checking in with others experience I no longer walk alone if I think about it first, lol. Our first campers were pop ups so not a biggy when towing, the fifth wheels came post kids.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I found the forums after we bought our first TT. we were lucky the dealer we bought from was small and really helpful on our purchase. they asked about my truck and made sure it would pull the TT, after I found the forums I realized everything they told me was on the up and up. however I was sure glad to have found the forums prior to our next TT purchase, the salesman was cheesy and if I asked he probably would have told my riding mower would pull it.
the forums are a great place to find info and get advice.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

Just want the new man to know that he was not alone in coming here after the fact, lol. I think the modern person would think social media before this dino, lol, did.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Well, I did the same thing, in January 1977, and there were certainly no forums then. We flew to Michigan, bought a new leftover 1976 Midas Mini, and drove back to KY. We drove that little mini for 87,000 miles, then continued onward to have several other motorhomes. BTW, we paid $11,900, but that was big bucks to us.

The IRV2 forum is great, and I read it every day...

"Before I bought my first RV there were no online forums, in fact there were no PC's. However these forums still help me get through the day and enter into any of my decision's on what/ or how before I proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post
You must have purchased your first RV in diapers, lol. I wouldn't think of making a big buck decision now without checking in with others experience I no longer walk alone if I think about it first, lol. Our first campers were pop ups so not a biggy when towing, the fifth wheels came post kids.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The Forum? You mean the public square at the center of Rome? Our first TT was a 1967 Cox. We were pretty much on our own back then! LOL! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

We started out in 1970 tent camping did that for four years. We then bought a new 1975 Cox pulled it with a 1973 Jeep Cherokee. Kids still talk about the good times we had in that unit.

Jim W.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't have a clue this stuff existed. We just did the best we could and conducted a long process of due diligence and then bought. We got it right the first time according to us.

A fellow RV'r introduced us to IRV2 years later, oh what a resource it would have been.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

My 1st RV was a 5ver I bought from a friend, making payments to him, while I lived in it in his back yard. NEVER had a truck to move it. Had a RV mover tow it to the house I bought 4 years later. Sold it and used an enclosed bike trailer with a queen size mattress as an RV. That was better than a tent and the best I could afford - untill a former roommates dad had a salesman insult him on the trade value on a 2007 Salem LE Toyhauler. Bought it at such a deal, I have been offered 2x what I paid for it several times, and that would have been a sweet deal for them! Only problem was, it was too much for my 1500 GMC so I had to upgrade my truck.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

My first was a 1995 itasca suncruiser purchased in 2000 great coach for a starter. 2nd new 2004 HR vacationer 36 pct wife loved the floor plan. And today's Rv purchased new in 2008 our rev mom likes the floor plan and I like the chassis.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #14

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our first RV...hasn't arrived yet! LOL

But that's why I hang out in his neighborhood so much...

We had planned on buying this coming spring, after purchasing a replacement for current F-150. Unfortunately it now looks like we'll have to wait about another year.

Oh well, just gives me more time to hang about here more and get educated! Or at least get entertained...

Bill

Tags
purchase