Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Your Thoughts on Freightliner sportchassis

Hi, I'm new to the forum in the last couple of weeks and have joined the Excel owners forum. I ordered a new 2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo toy hauler, it has a GVW of 21,000 lbs. I have a 2011 F350 DRW and think the coach will be to much for the Ford. I am now looking at the FL Sport and they seem to vari quite a bit in price. I found a 2008 at a dealer new not registered. What do think this truck should cost? Any ideas on this would really help me out over the next week. Here are the pictures of the truck and info.

Cummins 330/1000 ISC

Rick
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

I have been to the Sportchassis plant in OK. They really do a great job in converting the M2. A new Sportchassis will retail around $100K. This one should be a lot less since it is a 2008. You might call the Sportchassis plant in OK and see what they would value this truck at. Have you tried to look this truck up in Edmunds Blue Book or something similar?

Good luck. The truck will do a great job in pulling that new trailer. I have a 2005 M2. I would never go back trying to pull a heavy trailer with a pickup again.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

oh man do i want one of those trucks! If i could find a used one for 45,000 i would buy, but i doubt that will ever happen since they retail for 100k.
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance View Post
I have been to the Sportchassis plant in OK. They really do a great job in converting the M2. A new Sportchassis will retail around $100K. This one should be a lot less since it is a 2008. You might call the Sportchassis plant in OK and see what they would value this truck at. Have you tried to look this truck up in Edmunds Blue Book or something similar?

Good luck. The truck will do a great job in pulling that new trailer. I have a 2005 M2. I would never go back trying to pull a heavy trailer with a pickup again.
Thanks for the info!!
It seems that there are a lot of 2007-2008 non current new FL SC out there but everyone wants about 95-110K for the non currents and even more for 2009-11. I have to find someone willing to deal. Do you think the plant will give out any values of non current new trucks...or just talk with their dealers? I'll try the blue book also to see if I can find something.

Rick
Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Rick,

Have you considered a Class 7 or Class 8 truck? Folks buy trucks which have been retired from commercial service and convert them to RV Haulers for about 1/2 of $100k. This forum will give you some help if you think this might be an option.

We recently purchased the truck in our signature with 174K miles in turnkey condition and ready to tow our Excel for less than I would have paid for a Class 6 truck of the same age and condition.

There are several other big truck guys on this forum who will likely chime in with their own opinions and experiences.

Happy shopping!

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
A friend sold his M2-106 after it was too slow lugging his 22K lb S.O.B. 5er up big hills. I test drove his new M2-112 and it could handle anything thrown at it, however it was pricy although really nice (2L). If I were considering ordering a WC today I might go with something on the used market, plenty of great examples out there at half the price or less. used Peterbuilt for sale

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the replies!! I'm sure glad I found this forum with so many people willing to help others out. I am probably going ahead with the FLSC just looking for the best deal I can find on one. I just don't have the time right now for any conversions or projects....also like the fact of getting into a new truck with little or no miles with warranty.Just going to pickup something pretty much ready to go like the truck pictured above. I hope the 330/1000 Cummins will do the job. It should be a lot safer than a F-350 / F450.

Rick
Old 03-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We converted from a Chevy 3500 drw crewcab fully equipped to our set up for less than a new 2011 Chev 3500 drw fully equipped. Ours came witha two yr engine warranty and we are currently saving about $150 / mo in fuel bills. BigBit (Volvo) gets 7 mpg towing and LilBit (Smart) get 40 mpg in the city. We have horsepower to spare for towing and more than sufficient braking power coming down any hill.

The Smart is fun, safe and has lots of room for anything we need. Our furthest trip has been 850 mile w/o any problems. It's fun to go to the gas station and fill up, 6 -7 gals after driving 250 - 280 miles. It's NOT fun to put in 100+ gals in the truck.

Driviing the big truck is very easy. It has a better turning radius that the Chevy did. Oh did I tell you that DW drives it too?

Converting it is easy. I drove mine to Herrin Welding in Kilgore, TX, gave Larry the keys and came back 6 weeks later with the Smart. We loaded the Smart and drove off. There was NO hastle to me at all. This was turnkey and customized to my specs.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully you can make the deal, whichever way you go, work for you. That's what's important. What works for you!

Oh! BTW, a 2008 is NOT a new truck. I think by BB standards it's already a 4 -5 yrs old model. So pay accordingly.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Tim,
I guess the question is what is a a non-current 2008 FLSC with warranty started on delivery worth or what should I offer the dealer? It is a FL dealer that has the truck I'm looking at. Any idea's or random numbers would be nice to see.

Rick
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Tim,
I guess the question is what is a a non-current 2008 FLSC with warranty started on delivery worth or what should I offer the dealer? It is a FL dealer that has the truck I'm looking at. Any idea's or random numbers would be nice to see.

Rick
Here's how I would figure it. Starting w a base price of $100,000 when new in 2008. I'd figure 20% depreciation for 1st yr, then 15% for 2nd yr and then 10% for each yr there after. So at the 5th yr mark (now) it's not worth more than $55,080. The warranty may be worth a max of $3,000, if it's a long term bumper to bumper. There you have it, $58,000 is my number, for what it's worth.

What I do know. You'll wind up paying what it's worth to you, no matter what so enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Tim!!

It seems at the calculation these trucks are getting a premium. I can't find anything close to that....if I did it would be a done deal by now.

Rick
Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Tim!!

It seems at the calculation these trucks are getting a premium. I can't find anything close to that....if I did it would be a done deal by now.

Rick
The "premium" comes because people are willing / having to pay for it.

Most people we talk to NEVER realized that they could have owned a set up like ours for $40,000 - $65,000, including the Smart. We consistly hear that "we have the best of all worlds". The best pulling & STOPPING power along with the veratility of having the Smart for the daily commute with great gas milage. We tend to agree whole heatedly.

Ours had 645,000 mile when we bought it. I figure that we'll never burn it up when these are million mile trucks and we only put 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year on it. Last year we only put 6,400 miles on the truck. At that rate we have about 30 years before we need to think about an over haul. I guarentee you that in 30 years I'll be having someone drive me where ever we need to go.

Then there are those who's DW's would never allow owning a "BIG" truck and they have no choice but to pay the premium if they want to have the safety that comes with owning it. More than that, it's keeps peace in the household. When you travel in the confines of these quarters, that premium is well worth it.

Good luck and smooth travels.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the input! The FLSC has been purchased and am looking forward to getting on the road this season.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #14

post some pics, did you get a deal on the sport chassis?, where did you buy it from? dealer? private party?

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the input! The FLSC has been purchased and am looking forward to getting on the road this season.
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote