Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
OP here. The reason for gas over the diesel is run time. From my understanding, diesel does not like short trips, it likes long trips. After the 5er is parked what do you guys do for the little trips to the store or wherever, the ones that are less than 30 min. round trip? Do you see what I'm getting at? How are you guys running your diesel rigs when not towing or driving 50 miles at a time? Any problems?
Short trips are not an issue. My 03 did 10 min to work for years and my 14 did it for 2 and many trips shorter. I drive it as needed. Just use it as you would any other truck. That would be like saying a "Hellcat" has to be driven over 150mph now and then.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Opinions on switching to LT tires on a trailer by an industry expert.
RV Tire Safety: LT
Not sure I care as much about what an industry expert says vs the thousands of RVers who made the switch (to a higher rated LT tire) and are no longer suffering from tires exploding and failing after 3000miles. Shoot, DRV and LUXE are now putting LT tires as OEM equipment. That should tell you something.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #31

Alaska to AZ and back is a long ride in itself with alot of pulls. You will teally wish you had a diesel Fuel mileage wear exhaust brake and the list goes on. Pulling 12000 up and down mtns with a gasser is something you will regret. Put a spare tank on whatever you get and good luck !
Old 02-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #32

Quote:
OP here. The reason for gas over the diesel is run time................. Any problems?
I seem to recall reading a diesel fact article some time ago that specifically mentioned that today's consumer diesels are not as sensitive to short trips, nor do they require long warmups, but I can't find the article. I also recall another article about people doing early morning warmups with their big Class A diesels and it not being necessary. Perhaps google will be your friend if you want to try searching for some info. Also, speak directly with the truck mfgrs. to find out what they are now telling consumers and look at owner's manuals for guidance.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #33

Thanks guys! The more I read everywhere, the more I start listing towards the diesel side. Hard to believe that such a short little fat trailer causes so much trouble.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #34

I just thought I'd add that our old '89 Dodge W250 Cummins has 286k miles on it and still runs like it did when we got it at 80k. Most of the miles we put on it were hauling a 11.5' Caribou camper while towing a Samurai, and then a Tracker. The previous owner pulled a horse trailer. There has been nothing done to the engine except oil changes at 5k, fuel filters every 2 or 3 years, starter, alternator, and valve adjustments at 60k. I did replace the water pump and fuel lift pump last year simply because I knew they were going to fail eventually and would rather do it at home than on the road. This truck has always averaged 13.5-14 with the camper on and towing, or 15-16 with just the camper at 60-70 mph. It will get 18-23 with the camper off, dependent on speed. The 18 was on I-20 going West from Dallas at 80-85 empty(I got a ticket too). The old Perkins did about the same with a little less power. Based on the experience I've had with diesels since '81, I would not hesitate to buy another, especially for long distance hauling/pulling, and would prefer that over gasoline power.

When first starting out in the morning when loaded I would usually let the engine run for a short period of time while I checked everything, gathered up leveling blocks, etc., and then run 10 or so miles slower than normal until I felt that the engine and drive train had warmed sufficiently before going to more power and speed.

Best of luck with your choice.

Steve
Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #35

The gas engines in the heavy duty trucks seem to be stressed just moving the 7,500lbs of vehicle. They seem somewhat lethargic.

Now that same truck with a diesel engine seems athletic as the diesel engine is a better match for the weight it has to move. This is solo driving.

Now hook a trailer and the diesel engine really shines.

Test drive both the gasoline powered truck and diesel powered truck. You will see what I mean.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not towing I do 1,600 rpm's at 75 and 20+mpg, never shift down from 6th on any grade.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #37

That is reallyno problem these days,because of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) thier is alot less EGR Going back thru the engine. I have had my 14 Ram almost 2 yrs and short or long l have had no problems.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Not sure I care as much about what an industry expert says
Did you read the info, or is this just shooting from the hip? I'm gonna speculate the latter.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #39

The duellies are on the way out. A Diesel in Alaska has its problems and not realy well liked.
If it was me as we do, I would think seriously about the engine and stay with your choice of truck.
Selling your truck in Alaska might be a different problem then in Texas.
At home on canada they tell me I am crazy to drive a diesel due to the cold environment.
But in the same time the diesels hold their value very well.
Driving a duelly in the snows is a real problem. And no one upnorth wants one.
Your trailer choice is small for full timing and here in the south the SRWs are towing much longer units and the duellies are rare now.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #40

A trl that size has no need for a dually
An SRW 1TON will jandle it easily. Since you are doing Alaska in summer any diesel winter related challanges are a non issue.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Better check again, try 15,000 with the 4.30. The 3.73 is good for 12,400 in the 2x4 crew cab
Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks guys! The more I read everywhere, the more I start listing towards the diesel side. Hard to believe that such a short little fat trailer causes so much trouble.
IMO there is no problem with the trailer. Just with the responses from two different camps of posters.

Some are in the camp that says run on the edge because it will be OK. You will save money.

The other camp is buy more truck than you need. You will enjoy the travel more and arrive relaxed.

The first saves a bit of money, the second is priceless.