Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #1

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick question. Found a 2005 Yukon Denali XL AWD, 6.0 and 3:73 rear. It's a half ton. We have a 1999 Keystone Sprinter that weighs 5200 dry, 800 on the hitch and 7200 if completely loaded. There are 5 of us. Now the dealer was saying to me(this is why I am here) that you don't count passenger weight(I always thought you did). I looked up the towing capacity and it's just @8000.

The reason I am looking at this vehicle is that right now I've got the Dodge Mega Cab. My Mother had a stroke and it's very difficult to have her get in the truck because it's so tall(she's 83). The Yukon sits lower and it's easier for her to get into. Plus there are 6 of us altogether and it's too cramped to put us all in the Dodge-we've tried and with 5 full sized people-3 adults, 2 teens and 1-9 year old, it's not comfortable. So we take 2 cars now if we go somewhere.

Any advice? Suggestions? I've tried finding what we used to own-a 2500 Suburban-but they are like finding that needle in a haystack. If worse comes to worse, we may just have to keep taking the two cars around. Camping is totally on hold since her stroke, we can't leave her alone even for a weekend(she won't go camping). But we'd like to still keep the camper for when we could go again, and need a vehicle that can tow it.

Thanks,
Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #2

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick question. Found a 2005 Yukon Denali XL AWD, 6.0 and 3:73 rear. It's a half ton. We have a 1999 Keystone Sprinter that weighs 5200 dry, 800 on the hitch and 7200 if completely loaded. There are 5 of us. Now the dealer was saying to me(this is why I am here) that you don't count passenger weight(I always thought you did). I looked up the towing capacity and it's just @8000.

The reason I am looking at this vehicle is that right now I've got the Dodge Mega Cab. My Mother had a stroke and it's very difficult to have her get in the truck because it's so tall(she's 83). The Yukon sits lower and it's easier for her to get into. Plus there are 6 of us altogether and it's too cramped to put us all in the Dodge-we've tried and with 5 full sized people-3 adults, 2 teens and 1-9 year old, it's not comfortable. So we take 2 cars now if we go somewhere.

Any advice? Suggestions? I've tried finding what we used to own-a 2500 Suburban-but they are like finding that needle in a haystack. If worse comes to worse, we may just have to keep taking the two cars around. Camping is totally on hold since her stroke, we can't leave her alone even for a weekend(she won't go camping). But we'd like to still keep the camper for when we could go again, and need a vehicle that can tow it.

Thanks,
Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, you do count passengers in a towing calculation - as well as options, accessories, cargo and all the other things that aren't calculated into a "manufacturer's tow rating".

If your only problem is the height of the Dodge MegaCab, there are power steps available that automatically deploy when the truck's door is opened. Take a look HERE for one such approach. This would be much more economical than trading vehicles, especially when the new vehicle may not be satisfactory for your trailer towing needs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There are 2 weights to be concerned with.

One is the towing capacity of the Yukon. That is the total weight of the trailer, loaded with supplies, water, etc.

The other weight is GCWR. That is the total weight of the Yukon with passengers, cargo, etc, and the total weight of the trailer.

It looks like you are just under the towing capacity of the Yukon, but it also sounds like the Yukon will loaded quite a bit.

The GCWR may be close or over. You need to figure the loaded weight of the Yukon, and see if you are over the GCWR.

The closer you get the maximum tow ratings/limits, the less satisfied you be with handling/performance.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, you need to be concerned with the Denali's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) as well. This is the maximum weight that can be carried on the 4 tires of the Denali and includes the weight of the vehicle itself as well as driver, passengers, cargo, full fuel tank AND the hitch weight of the loaded trailer. If the total weight of the loaded trailer is 7200 lbs, then the 800 lb hitch weight you quote is probably pretty close. So, the total weight of the Denali with driver, passengers, etc. PLUS the 800 lb hitch weight of the trailer should not exceed the Denali's GVWR.

The GVWR should be shown on a sticker in the driver's door jamb.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Rusty's additional information is correct, as I failed to mention it in detail.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #7

here's my personal experience. I have an '03 XL Denali, so very close to the same vehicle. 7 adults pulling my 5000lbs of boat did amazing. Pulled well, plenty of power, never felt unstable. Same vehicle, 2 adults, 2 kids, all their stuff for a long weekend pulling a 20ft 7000lbs (loaded) enclosed car trailer did very well. A little under geared because it needed to downshift to pull some basic rolling hills. But it never wouldn't accelerate except on the worst hills. Never felt very unstable, but I've upgraded to LT tires since then so it should be better.

I didn't weigh anything but I have a lot of experience with trailers and felt very confident that anybody could happily tow this.

Hers - '03 GMC Yukon XL Denali, Prodigy brake controller
mbwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #8

one more note, I was looking for a 2500 as well and couldn't find one. I figured that I'd be ok since I could still use the truck for the big loads. I feel it was the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Hers - '03 GMC Yukon XL Denali, Prodigy brake controller
mbwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote