Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Z-60 Suspension package

Looking at a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L w/6 speed auto trans. It has a Z-60 ( rather than the Z-71 that I'm familiar with) suspension package that includes 20" wheels, is slightly lower to ground, etc. I tow a 18' Fleetwood Mallard and am now using a chev avalanche 1500. Guessing maybe 5500# as pulled.
Any experience, opinion, advice re. advisability of getting the Z-60 pack?
JBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #2

Check the weight capacity of the rims, some of the specialty rims are not designed for much more than the weight of the truck.
I apologize for your question not being addressed in a timely manner. Hopefully other members will see your post and offer their advice and knowledge.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Not for certain, but I believe the Z60 is a plush ride option. They had Z60 package when I bought, but the owners manual I have indicates for the higher towing capacity, you must have either the 'towing package' or 'Z71' package. My truck has both. Springs may be the same on both packages, but 'towing package' has a trans cooler external of the radiator. Lines do not go through the radiator, but a cooling fin assembly in front of the radiator.
These are something to consider researching in a manual or chart at the dealership.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Isn't the Z-60 the regular 4x4 package without the heavier shocks and skid plates. I've pulled my 26 TT with no problems.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBruce View Post
Looking at a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L w/6 speed auto trans. It has a Z-60 ( rather than the Z-71 that I'm familiar with) suspension package that includes 20" wheels, is slightly lower to ground, etc. I tow a 18' Fleetwood Mallard and am now using a chev avalanche 1500. Guessing maybe 5500# as pulled.
Any experience, opinion, advice re. advisability of getting the Z-60 pack?
Z60
Silverados with the Z60 suspension are said to focus on "street performance". The Z60 package includes 20 inch tires, and sits around an inch lower in the front, and two inches lower in the back than standard Silverados, because of the sport suspension. This model is designed to improve cornering and holding capabilities on the road.

Performance
Both the Z60 and Z71 suspensions improve handling and steering slightly over the standard Z85 and Z83 models. The Z71 package offers a better overall ride quality as the improved shocks make for more controlled body movements. The Z60 is a stiffer drive in comparison."

I would be concerned the Z60 package may not be the best for a tow truck. Check with a GM truck dealer in fleet sales as usually these guys know more than the usual "car" salemen.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Thx for the comments. I bought the truck and so far like it fine--have not been able to give it a good tow test yet but I think it will do fine for my pull. Will share any revelations--good and/or bad.
PS--hooking up the electric brake controller was a trip. If anyone needs to know how, contact me.
JBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

I thought most all trucks came with the factory installed brake controller.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

At one time no trucks came from the factory with a brake controller. Then they started to show up in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
I think this started only a few years ago. Now just about all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks will have a factory brake controller and about half the 1/2 ton trucks.

Some trucks come pre-wired for a brake controller which makes it easier to add one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
At one time no trucks came from the factory with a brake controller. Then they started to show up in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
I think this started only a few years ago. Now just about all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks will have a factory brake controller and about half the 1/2 ton trucks.

Some trucks come pre-wired for a brake controller which makes it easier to add one.
My 04 GMC with tow package was pre wired (from under dash to 7 pin trailer plug) and had a pigtail connector that plugged into the trucks wiring harness under the dash. It had wires to connect a brake controller of your choosing to the truck. Had I known how easy it was, I would have saved $25 installation fee!

I have the Teckanesha brake controller, I think I would like the option of having one in my next truck instead of whatever the factory engeneers choose for me.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension