Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

2004 Camper Floor Rotted

Hello new to the forums today and I must say i really like this one so far. This is what I have going on. I have a 2004 Stampede by Palomino i believe the model is S246 that the floor is rotted out of on the front half. I have found the problem of the slide seal being cut and am I am having it replaced now. I havent looked into this floor much but it appears it be a slim piece of plywood with foam attached under it. My questions are 1. What can I use as a replacement? 2. What is the original floor? 3. Has anyone ever replaced a floor in a hybrid camper? I am new to all of this and just looking for pointers and tips. Thank you in advanced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Whatever they used to build it the first time, it only lasted 11 years. If you're lucky, it wasn't built the way many travel trailers used to be built. They would cover the frame full width with a sheet of plywood or particle board then build up the sidewalls on top of that floor.

I'd suggest using pressure treated plywood to replace the original floor. Use foam insulation and perhaps a plastic sheet barrier between the foam and the plywood. Get as much of the rotted flooring out as you can, if any is left it will just continue to spread in the future. If some can't be removed, use a product like Git-Rot to treat any soft wood left in place.
http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Life-Git-.../dp/B01607ALSC
Git-Rot is a watered down epoxy that will absorb into the soft wood and harden to stop any future water infiltration. I used to use it on wood boats, it does work for soft wood that you can't replace.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Most trailers in the hybrid style the floors are a sandwich of a thin sheet of plywood / 2" of Styrofoam / and another thin sheet of plywood....all pressed together to form the floor.

I have seen people in this same issue, replace the rotted section of flooring with 5/8" or 3/4" single sheet of plywood and use shims to bring the floor level up to match the good part of the floor.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

the whole floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Most trailers in the hybrid style the floors are a sandwich of a thin sheet of plywood / 2" of Styrofoam / and another thin sheet of plywood....all pressed together to form the floor.

I have seen people in this same issue, replace the rotted section of flooring with 5/8" or 3/4" single sheet of plywood and use shims to bring the floor level up to match the good part of the floor.

The problem is the whole floor is gone there is about 1/4 of the floor is good so i have decided to just throw it all out and build a new floor. my floor is however sandwiched like that. Is there a main stud that runs along the bottom of the wall? if so i could just pull the top off the frame 3/4 plywood / 2x4 frame and insulate / and 3/4 plywood and set the camper back on the frame? or is there a better way to do all this. im open to suggestions and learning.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Cabinets

Also how do the cabinets come out? I have everything unscrewed everyone i have seen but its like they are stapled to the wall?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Like my two hybrids I have owned, the walls are built on top of the floor. No, there really is no stud under the bottom of the wall. The frame rails are about 12" towards the center of the trailer. There are "out riggers" that branch off the frame to help support the wall structure, but the sandwich make up of the trailer floor as a whole is where the strength comes from. You will notice as you pull up the rotted wood, there is a big space between supports. When you put down the new wood, I would suggest adding more underlying support.

My cabinets have screws into the side walls and floor.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote