Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
2005 Aerolite Cub 236

Hello, I am new to this and would like to ask a few questions about a 2005 Cub 236 . My wife and I have been shopping for a quality hybrid camper and we found this one for a good price . What are the good and bad things I should look at on this specific model ? I saw a few posts about water leaks on front and rear doors , but is there anything else i should check ?

Thank you for the help

bert5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have owned our 05' Cub (model #236) since new (Jan. 05'). What sold us on the layout was a amount of counterspace and the amount of cabinets. Looking at a number of hybrids, I thought the Aerolite's had a better "fit & finish" quality. Here is a IRV2 album I have for the Cub #236

We use ours about 50- 60 nights a year. Starting our 6th season were pushing 300 nights, We're very happy with the way the Cub has held up. Here is a list of the selling points of this model.

~ Light weight for the 24 1/2' length (3800 lbs.)

~ Dry hitch weight of only 315 lbs. Some hybrids were pushing 500+ lbs.

~ The small couch slide really opens up the aisleway

~ for the 05' model year the Cub's went to 8' wide. The 04's were 7 1/2' wide.

~ 24 cabinet storage areas. The overhead ones (3 above the sink + 3 above the couch are nice and tall, with large doors)

~ Large 46 gallon fresh water tank. Some trailers are as small as 25 gallons, 46 is large for a trailer this size. We have never ran out of water. Even on 10 nights in one spot.

~ Better design on the latches for the front and back bunk doors. There were some problems on older Cubs. with seal problem. And bunk door problems. The bunk support 1200lbs. each

~ Very low step in Height. Meaning the floor only involves one small step. I think this was because of the "Euro" style of frame used. It keeps the floor level closer to the ground.

~ Nice countertop material (Formica). Some of the other hybrids had plastic counter tops that looked cheap.

~ For the price, you get a lot of Sq. footage. If I remember we paid $17,250 Out the door (tax included) back in Jan. 05'.

~ Large windows, solid feeling drawers....

~ besides all the kitchen cabinets, you get a whole back of cabinet for the rear bunk. There are 2 large doors under the rear countertop, and 2 smaller ones above. The counterspace (2' x 3') is used for books, alarmclock, glasses...

Here a few things to watch out for in looking at a used unit..

~ I noticed others with 05's and 06's were starting to get small tares in the tenting material near the top of the bunk ends. Here is a picture What causes this is the support cables inside being in the wrong bracket hole allowing the bunk to hang down a extra 1" putting more stress to the top of the bunk end material. To change this you simply un-bolt the cable and move it to the next hole, keeping the bunkend 1" higher.

~ the shower is a little small, My wife and son really like to take showers during weekend trips. I get a little claustrophobic. It's actually a tub unit verse a corner shower unit some models had. But it works....

~ actually I can't think of any other issues. You can say were very happy campers with this unit. In the future I would like to move up to a 5er, but hate to give up a solid trailer.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
you might want to check out Rockwood Roo, they are very well built and less money, try this link to get info.
2010 Rockwood Roo 233S (233 S): Roo Travel Trailer
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote