Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
George, Glad to see you joined the "hybrid" family.....I still say you get the most bang for the $$$ with a hybrid. Remember I want to see a shiny trailer when we visit ya either this Friday or on the 22nd of June. You still have that jug of Gel-Gloss...... ? wax wax wax....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
George, Glad to see you joined the "hybrid" family.....I still say you get the most bang for the $$$ with a hybrid. Remember I want to see a shiny trailer when we visit ya either this Friday or on the 22nd of June. You still have that jug of Gel-Gloss...... ? wax wax wax....
Okay, waxing the trailer will be part of my post-op therapy
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats George - you are back in the lightweight club again. I learned something that I think you can relate to reguarding GVWR for TTs. There was a new federal law passed that requires a TT' GVWR to be no greater than the sum of the GAWR or the tire wt ratings whichever is lower. This elminates the question if the hitch wt is included or not.

Good luck with your new rig.

PS I still have my 05 Arctic Fox and have had no major problems with it.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Congrats George - you are back in the lightweight club again. I learned something that I think you can relate to reguarding GVWR for TTs. There was a new federal law passed that requires a TT' GVWR to be no greater than the sum of the GAWR or the tire wt ratings whichever is lower. This elminates the question if the hitch wt is included or not.

Good luck with your new rig.

PS I still have my 05 Arctic Fox and have had no major problems with it.
Is this a US or Canadian law?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
George, I am not sure, what I know is that Northwood changed all of their GVWR specs for 2010 stating that it was a legal requirement - since they make CSA certified rigs it could have been either US or CAN. However since it is just a spec requirement, they could have easily made two seperate datapoints one US the other CAN.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Getting the HTT ready for our first trip out, we found that 3/4 of the tires are dry rotted to a dangerous point.

The OEM tires are DURO F78-14 (205/75D14). I called DURO, who claims my 2009 camper is outside of their 24-month dry-rot warranty. DURO did tell me that they would offer me a 50% purchase on a set of tires, and upgrade my tires to radials, for $82.00 each including shipping. Then I have to pay for mounting.

My local tire distributor, Flynn's Tires, has TowMaster for $70.00 each installed, and Goodyear Marathon at $112 each installed.

Comments?
Pro or Con for either tire manufacturer?

Thanks,
George
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
George, Have you talked to the TT Mfg to see if they will cover it? Do you know when the tires were actually made? 24 mo seems like an awful short time for dry rot problems. As for your replacement options, I would go with GoodYear - even though most of the tires we buy here in the state are made in China at least GoodYear is a known brand and probably have better quality standards than others. I know that on my Arctic Fox web board there have been several discussions about tires and the the concensus is that china tires are junk and korean tires are better, US are best.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm with Randy, can you read the date code on the tires? 2 years does seem awfully short for dry rot. It took 6 years before dry rot set in on my car tires & it sets out in the weather 24/7/365 & basically sits nose north/ tail south so the tire sides are exposed the full brunt of the sun rising & setting every day.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
George what does your date code read?

When we looked at the trailer at the dealership, you would assume tires on a one model year old trailer were as "new". Check your date code. I know your at RV Village right now ..You sly devil If you would have told me a few days ago, we might have joined ya. I'm aiming to get our's out of storage Sat....

On another note on what Lori pointed to. Back in the fall (2010) my Toyota dealer had the best pricing on new tires, believe it or not. It was a buy 3 get one free. Well, the 4 tires they had in stock, stored in the building near the service exit drive "out" door had a date code that was almost 2 years old. But, looking at the tires, which in the placement on the tire rack, they were in the sun a good part of the day. They were so faded...and dis-colored. There was no way I would except those being put on my SUV. I made them order new stock from the warehouse which were dated the 15th week of 10'.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
Getting the HTT ready for our first trip out, we found that 3/4 of the tires are dry rotted to a dangerous point.

The OEM tires are DURO F78-14 (205/75D14). I called DURO, who claims my 2009 camper is outside of their 24-month dry-rot warranty. DURO did tell me that they would offer me a 50% purchase on a set of tires, and upgrade my tires to radials, for $82.00 each including shipping. Then I have to pay for mounting.

My local tire distributor, Flynn's Tires, has TowMaster for $70.00 each installed, and Goodyear Marathon at $112 each installed.

Comments?
Pro or Con for either tire manufacturer?

Thanks,
George
UPDATE:

Palomino (Forrest River) offered to sell me replacement tires at their cost. I found out that their stock tires are LionsHead (made in China) MOUNTED on white steel rims and my deal would be $100 EACH plus $30 (shipping) EACH !!!

Flynn's got my tire business today. 4 Goodyear Marathon Radials, manufactured 30th week of 2010, for $108 each.

George
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I put on a set of Towmasters last spring. I think they were about $68 each....so far so good...Still can't believe you have dry-rot after 2 seasons of use....They act as if dry-rot was expected by then....No way should a tire last only 2 years....