Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

2016 Coachmen CLIPPER 16FB Ultra Lightweight

Newer than Newbie here ... About to pick up a brand new CLIPPER, but have been reading some absolutely awful reviews [on the internet] of Coachmen Quality and post after post about horrible leaks. Most of these it seems are related to slide-outs and our little Clipper doesn't have any of those, so I'm hopeful this won't be a problem for us. Can anyone out there help ease my mind and tell me we are not buying a brand new TT that will only give us problems. I'd sure love to hear from a Coachmen Clipper owner, or anyone who owns a Coachmen period ...
Thanks much ! Harky
in Hillsboro

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Hey Harky..

We have a 17FQ.. Very similar to yours.. So far I've fixed leaks at the drain points and the outside shower.. I installed a PI surge protecter and found some loose wires that would have eventually been a problem.. I fixed it all myself rather than drag it back to the dealer ..Besides I wanted to see for myself how it was all put together..

Joe

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As with any new RV you should go over it for at least an hour before you sign final papers. I would make sure the frig runs and cools both on electric and gas. Have a water hose hooked up to pressurize the water system and check for leaks. Your going to have to get down on hands and knees and look in the cabinets and under the sink cabinet to see any loose connections. Take a flashlight with you and a rug to put down to look under the trailer.

Just looking under the tt I found where one of the lower exterior wall trim piece bracket was missing a bolt. It was just hanging there. Also the low point drain caps were positioned right on top of a trim bracket. The bracket had to be moved over 2" to access the low point drain caps. Caulk was missing on top of the shower tub surround. For about 20 minutes the service tech could not get the frig to light on gas. Here there was a very small inline gas valve that was turned off.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #4

Thanks to Joe [meganjoe] and Superslif! Appreciate you both taking the time and responding so quickly !! I will dress appropriately to get down and dirty and look at every possible nook & cranny top to bottom and front to back before we sign on the dotted line! Thanks for all the tips !! Not looking forward to the day we have planned to go in and pick it up, as it is forecast to be 100 degrees that day. I may put it off for another week until the weather cools down. I think I will be more inclined to really do my due diligence in cooler weather. Thanks again !! Harky
Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

I have the viking 16fb same as the clipper no problems in 2 years use it every weekend.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Thanks CocoaB6 ! Really glad to hear this
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #7

Hello Harky, we own a 2015 Clipper 17FQ. Currently have 7,400 miles on it. Just love the queen bed with access on both sides, no more crawling over each other. It's been good to us with some standard minor issues. This is our third camper and buy far the least expensive. When you buy a 10K TT you get a 10K TT, so be honest with yourself. At about 2,500 pounds it pulls well and at about 20' long you can almost take it through a drive-thru, lol. Anyway, good luck with the new trailer.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #8

We are taking our 17FQ back to the dealer today to have them look at the axle and tires.. The tires/wheels look like they are tilted out and the axle looks like it might be bent.. They said on the phone that they have replaced some axles from different mfgs. lately.. I'll let you know how it goes..

Joe
Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Hi Joe - Wow, that's a real bummer ... hope they can fix it to your satisfaction and make it safe to pull !! I'll definitely give ours a good eyeball when I get home from work. All we've done so far is pull ours home [about 1.5 miles from Curtis Trailer in Aloha, OR] and level it in the driveway. Testing everything and trying to figure out how we're going to stow it with all of "necessities". Oh, and we ordered a new Memory Foam Mattress. The mattress that came with it is a spring-loaded piece of junk ! Really appreciate you letting us know about the problem and anxious to hear how things go, so please do keep us posted ! Thanks much ! Harky
Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Hi Mountain Man,
Good to hear from you and nice to know you've had relatively few issues!! I agree with your point about getting what you pay for. We'll be careful with it and take good care of it. I'm pretty handy and so not too worried, just didn't want to bring home a pile of trouble on wheels right out of the gate. We've got it in the driveway and I've measured all of the cabinets in preparation for building some inside racks for several of them. Ordered a better mattress and getting ready for our first trip just across the river into Washington in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to it ! Question: Have you ever installed a hood over the top of your bathroom fan vent? Parts guy at the dealership tried to talk us into one and I'm questioning the necessity ... he said people forget to close the vent a lot and then it gets ripped off in the wind. For now I plan to trust our memory to close the vent ... this could be a big mistake Thanks again for your post !! Harky
Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

The fan vent cover is one of the first accessories most camper owners purchase. If you are away or forget to close it, you will pay dearly. I strongly recommend you get one. The price is reasonable and they are easy to install. Just use a considerable amount of silicone on the screws. Again, good luck with the Clipper and say in touch.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Thanks Mtn. Man ! I will follow your advice ! Appreciate your time ... Harky

Tags
coachmen, light, weight