Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #1

We found a good price on the Reese 350 mini-lite WD hitch. I am just trying to get info regarding weight dist. hitches. I know very little about them and have never used one in the past. We are upgrading to a new 2005 Jayco Select 12 HW. I was thinking of adding a WD hitch due to the increase in weight from our current Viking. We have a sway bar installed already. Since I have never really used a WD hitch, would it really make much difference? Are they difficult to install? Could I do this or should I have the dealer do it? I would really appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks

Tyler (son, 10), Emilee (Daughter, 8), Matthew (Son, 4)
syoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #2

We found a good price on the Reese 350 mini-lite WD hitch. I am just trying to get info regarding weight dist. hitches. I know very little about them and have never used one in the past. We are upgrading to a new 2005 Jayco Select 12 HW. I was thinking of adding a WD hitch due to the increase in weight from our current Viking. We have a sway bar installed already. Since I have never really used a WD hitch, would it really make much difference? Are they difficult to install? Could I do this or should I have the dealer do it? I would really appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks

Tyler (son, 10), Emilee (Daughter, 8), Matthew (Son, 4)
syoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #3

What are you towing with and what is the tongue weight on the trailer.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #4

Before installing your WDH I would make sure using one won't void the warranty of your pu.

2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Class A
fishncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #5

Since it's a safety item, I'd let the dealer do it. They are used to setting them up. Interesting idea from fishncamp. I never would have thought about that.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I am a bit lost, Why would a WD hitch void the Reese designed one for the Coleman PU . Thanks for the info all.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I would suggest looking at Reese's site(www.reeseproducts.com) and from there decide if the instalation is within your skills. BTW at the site select 'products' and side bar minilite. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #8

Before you buy a WDH, you should check with the manufacture to ensure you can use one on the new trailer. If the tongue on the trailer is C Channel you should not use a WDH. Unless it is a box frame you should not use the WDH.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:46 AM   #9

Some manufacturers of pu's will not warranty any damages to your frame cause by a wdh.This setup puts a lot of stress on the frame.We do not use a wdh but we take our unit fully loaded to the local scale on the highway and spent time distributing the weight as to not exceed the maximum gvwr on our tv and pu.Do not forget the weight of all your passengers and tongue weight go towards to total gvwr of your tv.Our local scale leaves the display on when closed so it makes it easy to spend some time distributing weight.Once you have it down remember where you packed everything for next time.A good way to lower weight is to not take any water,pop,beer,canned food(this stuff really adds up in weight) and buy them near where you are staying and fill up your water at the cg.If you still need more then add springs or airlift the rear of your tv.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #10

Springs or air bags will not increase the capacity of your vehicle or camper. It will mask the effects of being at or above it's limits. Capacity depends on more than just how much the back end will hold. Things like brake capacity, axle diameters, steering components, extra cooling capacity. And the list goes on and on.

A WDH uses spring bars to tourqe the hitch and transfer weight to the front tires of the TV. You camper frame must be able to handle this tourqe, as well as you hitch, which must be a class 3 or better receiver. You must still be withinn the limits of your vehicle.

If you have sway control allready, consider the model 400 instead. It does not have sway control built in like the 350's, however, the 350 is designed for the Colemans with all the "stuff" Coleman or should I say Fleetwood like to put on the front. The 400 uses a single spring which comes up the center instead of the two on the outside (350).
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #11

The addition of springs or airlift does not mean you can carry more but can keep your vehicle more level while towing under the maximum gvwr.Spending some time at a scale and distributing weight properly is time well spent.Good luck to you.