Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Aero Cub Floor Repair - What the heck is under there!?

HI All! We have a 2002 Aerolite Cub Travel Trailer. We had a water leak from the slide out which we think we have fixed but the entire floor is rotted and spongy with mildew under the linoleum. Our question is what type of framing is under the floor? Does anyone have a skematic or pictures of the frame? We just want to see what we are dealing with before pulling up the floor. Can we just cut the floor out from around the cabinets and put new plywood down? Are there joists there to support it? Any pics/ideas if you have done this would be great! Thank you!
Campmichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a 2005 Aerolite and now have a 2013 Aerolite. I know on the 2005, the floor is like a sandwich. 1/4" plywood - 2" strafoam - 1/4" plywood. By themselves, there is no strength, but sandwiched together they are ridged. On the 05' the underside of the trailer was exposed. The floor studs were spaced out more than a homes floor would be 18" on center.

I friend of ours had a 99' Aerolite that he bought where most of the floor had to be replaced. He made spacers on top of the studs and then used 5/8' plywood as the new floor instead of he sandwich...Personally I would add
floor studs between each other to give more support as you walk across the floor. Our 05' we had a little flex as a person walked over the floor. The 13' it seems much more solid, with out as much floor flex.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks so much for replying! We've torn out the linoleum and are letting the floor dry out, but its pretty bad. I think this is going to turn into a mess! I'll take pictures though, maybe it will help out the next unfortunate cub owner
Campmichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
What's under there? Not much!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
See if this link helps...Dutchman "parts manuals, archived literature, service videos"

It has PDF files of models going back to the 80's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

1999 cub

Hi Campmichy, I just bought a 1999 Cub F19, the floor was rotten when I bought it but got it at a good price. The first thing I did was take the floor out all the way down to the rubber membrane. There is no cross support on these trailers just the frame that runs the length of it. I put in 3/4 inch plywood as my base then 3/4 inch foam insulation then 1/4 plywood. Then I went under the bottom and put in 3 cross supports made out of 2x6's. Now I am putting in new linoleum. My floor is strong enough to park a truck on now. The leak was coming from under the trailer where the rubber membrane had come loose from the frame,I haven't figured out how to seal it back up but thinking about using butyl tape and sealing it up. I haven't taken pics yet but will when I finish the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmichy View Post
HI All! We have a 2002 Aerolite Cub Travel Trailer. We had a water leak from the slide out which we think we have fixed but the entire floor is rotted and spongy with mildew under the linoleum. Our question is what type of framing is under the floor? Does anyone have a skematic or pictures of the frame? We just want to see what we are dealing with before pulling up the floor. Can we just cut the floor out from around the cabinets and put new plywood down? Are there joists there to support it? Any pics/ideas if you have done this would be great! Thank you!
scoutman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

Look forward to your photos. I have a 2002 Aero Cub and have to replace the floor near the toilet. I also have to figure out why there is a leak under the toilet that is wetting the subfloor but on top of the floor. Any ideas?
My fresh water tank is cracked and I need to replace. Is it true the only replacement parts are from a Dutchmen dealer?
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

Exclamation Dying to hear more

Hello folks.

I am new around here and will certainly scooter over to the proper category to introduce myself but since I came across this thread while browsing, I might as well get my question out there, to begin with.

I would be very happy to hear more about the floor renewals mentioned in this thread as I will be doing the same thing when the spring is back.

On a day where I clearly wasn't thinking straight, I went wild and bought a 16 feet Cub where most of the floor, if not all, have to be replaced.

Any information on this topic and pictures as well will be highly appreciated.

I am above average skilled in carpentry and that kind of work (according to myself ) but getting some insight from experienced people is always good.

Thanks
Lars
LarsQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #9

Thanks for responding a lot! Wherefore so are letting its, although a floor dry outside and've torn out the linoleum. I believe that this will develop into a wreck! Though maybe it can help out the club proprietor, I will take images like kraftyowl.com =))))))
senaidat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #10

2010 Cub 214 water damage on floor and front bunk end

Just found my vinyl tile peeling up by the entry door and after 2 days of pulling up the damaged floor, foam, and rotten underlay now am trying to figure out how to replace the floor and where to attach it. There are a couple of of 2x4 pieces over the steel joist which are not closely spaced with elevator bolts. Not sure how I am going to secure the floor to the edges of the rig. The plastic covering under the camper seems to be secures with a screwed in strip along the bottom edge. Ugh!! any suggestions would be welcome. Will take some pics tomorrow. Also, re caulked everything and think the issue came from the lower seam on the slide out wall. Supposed to rain tomorrow so will see what happens
campin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On that year Aerolite Cub, did they use the light weight euro-frame, or did it have the "I" beam type frame?

Our 2005 Aerolite Cub had the euro type frame (Stamped steel with oval holes every few feet)

Our 2013 Aerolite hybrid had the traditional "I" beam frame.

With the the euro-frame type, an area of concern is how the steps are attached thru the foam floor. And not to the frame. The bolts that attach the steps to the trailer start to pull themselves thru the floor. I ended up making up a special bracket to transfer the weight to the frame. Our 2013, the step were attached to the frame from the start. No issues..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729(3).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	288205

Name:	P1000658.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	288207
Attached Thumbnails