Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Any ideas on floor replacement?

Aerolite cub has a weak floor, as I have found floor rot in front of door. Noticed dislocation and springiness and decided to check it out. My question is has anyone done this job on a similar TT? It is a must for me and I'm going to start in 2 weeks, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #2

Ouch.
since all RV's are built from the frame up you will soon learn that to access the floor you will need to remove everything. Now, if the problem is not too large, then the best is to cut the floor out back to a couple of joists and replace the plywood that is rotten. Do not be too surprised to also find that some of the floor joists are also rotten. In that case, remove the bad wood, sister in new joists and start building up from there.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Thats exactly what I had to do on my TT last year. Took everything out of the bedroom and living area. Took out the plywood and removed any joist that was bad. Rebuilt everything back up and insulated the floor and walls better than new. Put new carpet and finished the walls as well. Took about 20 hours to complete and ended up with a TT that was better than new. Only reason we sold was it wasn't practicle for our family. Just like fixing a floor in your home.

Good Luck
awarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I had a moment of Zen earlier as I removed the vinyl floor and found I do not need a complete floor replacement!! Only in front of the door and at the front of the TT!! I should be able to tackle this in no time (famous last words!! Haha)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What year Cub do you have?

I have a 05' which the floor is a sandwich material (5/16" wood / 2" styrofoam / 5/16" wood) bonded together. All "lite weight" trailers have basically the same floor structure. And all have some give when walked on.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

my TT is a 2000 model, i see the junky Styrofoam floor and not a fan of it. im going to replace it with marine plywood and open up the bottom so it will be able to breathe a little bit.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Smile

Hey 16kellogg how did it work out on your floor? I have basically the same trailer (2003 Cub Aero-Lite 21ft) and it's a bit spongy about 3-4 inches in front of the door. the vinyl floor also has some balck staining in other areas where it appears water has leached in. I plan on replacing the floor covering with some laminate that is in a slate pattern. Any advice? thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyneck
Hey 16kellogg how did it work out on your floor? I have basically the same trailer (2003 Cub Aero-Lite 21ft) and it's a bit spongy about 3-4 inches in front of the door. the vinyl floor also has some balck staining in other areas where it appears water has leached in. I plan on replacing the floor covering with some laminate that is in a slate pattern. Any advice? thanks in advance
To be honest I haven't done it yet. With my schedule it would take me a long time to complete. My family decided we would just live with it this season and I will tackle it over the winter as we don't camp if it's too cold. It seems to be just a time consuming job and not too hard manually. Good luck and tell me how it turns out for you!!
Kelly
Old 09-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Alaska 6 months out of the year, as for the other 6, somewhere in the Lower 48
Just a thought, be sure you find the source of water that has damaged the floor and correct that issue while you are at it.

sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote