Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #1

Hi Folks
I have looked at the above mentioned trailer. Looks like a well built rig with the aluminum frame and siding...Should not have to worry about delamination problems.........
Anyone have any comments about these trailers good or bad...Maybe to heavy for a 1/2 ton, thinking about the 268FL model , empty weight 6165Lb, GVWR 10,000Lb.......Thanks
Barrie

2013 Open Range Light 274 RLS trailer
go44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #2

Hi Folks
I have looked at the above mentioned trailer. Looks like a well built rig with the aluminum frame and siding...Should not have to worry about delamination problems.........
Anyone have any comments about these trailers good or bad...Maybe to heavy for a 1/2 ton, thinking about the 268FL model , empty weight 6165Lb, GVWR 10,000Lb.......Thanks
Barrie

Old 12-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Barrie,

I looked at the Sunset Creek and have a brochure right here. You know what your ½-ton truck will pull as well as anyone else. You know that we bought a new "lightweight". Just the UVW of our new TT maxes out the towing capacity of our ½-ton van.

We're both going to be in the tow vehicle market.....

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #4

HI George
Not sure I understand , did you buy another lite weight trailer.....

What do you think of the Sunset Creek , I looked at them quickly & everything appears OK.....

Yes I know the trailer is to heavy for my truck....I can't afford to buy another trailer which requires me to deal trucks also...
My 2002 Chevie 1/2 ton is a really nice fully loaded truck and I just love driving it , so it stays and the my trailer search will carry on..

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Barrie,

The trailer I bought was advertised as a liteweight. You can see our trailer click here My trailer is 4700# dry UVW. My van pulled it slow, slow, slow (like 45-55 MPH on the Interstate).

My opinion on the Sunset Creek is that they seem to be built really well and stong, but they set high off the ground thus raising the center of gravity. The one thing I really liked about the trail-lite was its low center of gravity. One thing that I hated about my motor home was the 5 steps to run up in. My new trailer is similar to the trail-lite in height and center of gravity, but much heavier in construction.

gm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by go44:
HI George
Not sure I understand , did you buy another lite weight trailer.....

What do you think of the Sunset Creek , I looked at them quickly & everything appears OK.....

Yes I know the trailer is to heavy for my truck....I can't afford to buy another trailer which requires me to deal trucks also...
My 2002 Chevie 1/2 ton is a really nice fully loaded truck and I just love driving it , so it stays and the my trailer search will carry on..

Merry Christmas to you and your family. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #6

This is a good post for all to see that towing with what some regard to be a good tow vehicle is actually quite marginal. The trouble with full size vans is they weigh so much that the tow capacity is low for a full size vehicle. I have also posted previously that the profile of traditional trailers makes the job of towing tough indeed with high winds, semis etc. Most learn the hard way, hopefully this make better consumers of what can be a dangerous situation.It may also steer some to trailers that cost more like Airstream and Hi-lo, but will pay more up front to have a an easier and more stress free experience.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Rocinate, Your reply only repeats what has already been stated. What's your point?

Did you mean to bad mouth ALLfull-size vans? Sure, some full-size vans are not suitable for pulling a 4700# travel trailer, but some other full-size vans are. The difference is in the configuration of their individual powertrain and suspension.

My full-size van is configured with an inline six-cylinder engine and even with the 3.55:1 differential, it struggled with our new trailer. A more suitable powertrain in a full-size van might be a 300 HP 5.4L V-8, or 360 HP 6.8L V-10. Case in point, not ALL full size vans are as dogs in the trailer towing arena.

gm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocinante:
This is a good post for all to see that towing with what some regard to be a good tow vehicle is actually quite marginal. The trouble with full size vans is they weigh so much that the tow capacity is low for a full size vehicle. I have also posted previously that the profile of traditional trailers makes the job of towing tough indeed with high winds, semis etc. Most learn the hard way, hopefully this make better consumers of what can be a dangerous situation.It may also steer some to trailers that cost more like Airstream and Hi-lo, but will pay more up front to have a an easier and more stress free experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #8

You are correct and probably the best deal for a tow vehicle is on the Enterprise rental cars website, vehicles for sale. 2006 chevy express 3500 loaded with 6.ol, 15 passenger with 19k miles and only 19,900. I would imagine this beast could pull most anything.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #9

George
I am planning a trip to Niagara Falls/KOA in late April , probably arriving 27 Apr 2007..
Just a heads up for next year if you /group are interested..
The KOA usually opens 1 Apr ..We were there a couple of years ago and the indoor pool was open early.
The KOA in NY across from Niagara-On-the-Lake also opens mid Apr, thinking of going there also for a couple of nights , want to shop at Campers world down by Buffalo in Hamburg...
Anyway this is all long range planning subject to change...We have a seasonal site starting mid May to Oct..We don't leave the trailer on site during winter..Usually go on a trip early spring and late fall..This planning has worked out great for us..
Barrie

Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #10

Our new full size van is a 1500LT. Has tow package, Vortec 5700 5.7L V8 engine with 3.73 axle ratio. Tow capacity is 6600lbs. We are not going to max the limit, but after hearing what George wrote, we are going to tow any prospective trailers up the road and back before we buy. Would hate to wind up with one that is too tough to tow.

Would like a hi lo or trailmanor, but they don't have a high enough sleeping capacity for our family. Need a bunkhouse.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote