Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Black Water Shows Full All The Time

Hello Everyone , I have a star craft 21 rb and the black water tank is showing full even know I have emptied it and flushed with fresh water. could one of the sensors or the ground to the sensors be bad? NEED HELP. p.s. it's a 2003 model.

taz1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Most likely not a bad sensor, but you have something stuck on the top sensor. Might try filling the black tank with fresh water and letting it sit for a couple days. Then drain again and re-test. If that doesn't work some people put water and ice cubes in the tank, agitate by driving around a bit, then dump and test again.

Or do like most of us do and don't worry about the gauge or sensors and enjoy your camping. When it is full dump, otherwise ignore.

Hope this helps.

jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Probably a piece of TP......
2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Try adding Dawn detergent to the full tank of water. You could also use Calgon Water Softener, but it's hard to find. The additive will help make the water 'wetter' and dissolve solids that could be blocking the sensors. A drive down a curvy road will help slosh things around and help things break loose too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard sensor is a length of metal rod that sticks into the tank, the assumption is if the rod is wet, the level is at least that high, There is basically nothing that can go wrong with it.. HOWEVER....

if the wall the rod penetrates gets "Slimy" the slime can make the rod wet... And thus it sees the level that high.

how can I fix this?

Well, temp solution (works till the tank refills) is to blast the sensor wall, a tank wand called the Master Blaster by Valterra is one way to do this IF you can use it.. I kind of built my own even before I saw one for the first time.

(half inch PVC, cap the lower end, drill a quarter inch (or thereabouts) hole in the side of the cap in line with the indicator strip on the pipe. glue a garden hose adapter on top and put on a back flow preventer and quarter turn valve)

I actually used an elbow short piece and a cap on mine.

However with some toilets that can not be used.

Better solution:
Many have reported good results with Horst Miracle Probes. (google them)

Ultimate Soultion: Google See Level RV Tank Monitors
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
how much Dawn do I put in the tank?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by taz1323 View Post
how much Dawn do I put in the tank?
About a cup should do for a full tank of water.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Sometimes I will dip the used dishwashing water out of the kitchen sink and put it in the toilet. That usually keeps the black tank a little cleaner.
Sealevel Ram, 2004 Ultimate Freedom
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Sealevel Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
Thanks to all Posters!!!

thanks to all that posted ideas. I am going to try the dish soap today along with the spray wand .I will let all know how it all goes

Thanks again, Taz.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

I have the same problem and bought a master blaster from EBAY. I hosed it real good last time we used it and haven't tried it since so I dont know how well it works. It sure blows the water out from the nozzle tho! A heads up keep your face back when you are spinning it around , DONT look or you will get a face full of spray. I keep telling myself it was clean water-clean water wife thought it was real funny until I chased her down to wipe my face on her shirt
signmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
What i do when traveling i fill my tank at the quarter then put 2 bags of
ice in cubes than go the ice will hit the sides and take the toilet paper off the sensor good luck
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #12

Many say this works good.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411557518.360596.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	74807
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
TAZ...get used to this phenomenon happening over and over again as you grow up RVing. If you use the RV regularly and flush the tank...you experience this on and off...if you drive and slosh the tanks frequently for the most part the tank level indicators stay free of debris.

Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote