Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Bunk beds with room to sit up?

We are tent campers looking to upgrade to a lightweight travel trailer. My husband's truck is a Tacoma with a 6500lb towing limit. Obviously, we would like to be as far under that limit as possible.

My question is--is there a lightweight TT with bunks that adjust in height? We will be camping with a 10 yr old and a 15 yr old. I took my 15 yr old to look at campers the other day, and we were both a little disappointed that she would not be able to sit up in the bunks. I'd rather the lower bunk be on the ground and the second bunk be placed at a height so that both sleepers could fully sit up--if that makes sense. We looked at a hybrid with tent ends which we liked (the queen size tents are super spacious), but I'm afraid I won't be happy with a hybrid. One of my dislikes about tent camping is the noise factor. Tent ends on a hybrid don't block outside noise. Is there any other option?

ETA: Looks like the Jay Feather X213 has the lower bunk close to the floor with more head room, but it might be a little heavy to tow.

momto4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have seen hard sided (non-hybrid) trailers where the bunks have a decent amount of head room. Every brand makes some sort of "bunk house" floorplan or two.

Were on our 2nd hybrid and maybe 600 nights between them camping since 2005. The two Aerolites we have had now, my wife will read in bed by propping up 3 pillows against the bunk wall just before the soft canvas section starts. I always get the outer end of the bunk as I do my reading on the couch, and then go to bed. Usually she falls asleep reading....

You have to understand, if you want bunks and a couch, your looking at a 32' long trailer or more. The hybrids we have owned have been the most cost effective RV for the size. Ours is 26' and opened up it's like having a 32' rig.

In 26' we have two queen beds, 62" couch, huge pit dinette. Good counter space and a huge deep storage cabinets.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
We have a Jayco X213. I just looked at the bunks. The bottom bunk has a lot of head room, but the top doesn't have any, so I was thinking about modifying it. The bottom bunk is about 8" off the floor and it's on a hinge, so it looks like it'll be relatively easy to lower. Right now we store stuff underneath it when in use. The top bunk could potentially be lowered, but it would be more difficult. Since the front of the trailer is at an angle, if you lowered the top bunk, you would need a wider bed and mattress.

I could probably do it, but I think I'll wait a few more trips to see how our younger daughter deals with it.
Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
We looked at a hybrid with tent ends which we liked (the queen size tents are super spacious), but I'm afraid I won't be happy with a hybrid. One of my dislikes about tent camping is the noise factor. Tent ends on a hybrid don't block outside noise. Is there any other option?
Going from tent camping, to a hybrid will be a big improvement in noise mitigation. Simply leaving a fan or a/c running in the trailer will produce enough white noise to mask noise from outside the trailer.

Hybrids just give you so much more interior room vs. towed weight and length. To me they are ideal.

Take another look at hybrids like the Jayfeather X23F.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote