Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Bunk end weather strip needs replaced

I have a 2006 Coyote by KZ. The weather strip for the front bunk end is cracked and letting water in when closed. Does anyone have any experience with replacing this? Is a DIY project or would I be better off taking it to a dealer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
All the seals are a little different for each trailer. Some are just glued in, while others are in a grove. As a new unit back in 13' I would sometimes get leaks if we drove in the rain. On my they added a thin gasket to the bunk door too.

I would call KZ because they are still in business and ask if they have any 06' seals in stock. Or point you in the direction of who might have supplied gasket material back then.

At 10 years old I'm sure there are others in the same boat. Myself I'll spray silicon at least twice a year to all my seals. My slide and doors I spray maybe 5 times a year.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Thanks. I just bought this unit last fall or I would have been treating the seals regularly.
The local dealer said it would be less than a hundred dollars for them to change it. I think I will go that route. The old seal appears to be glued
Old 05-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I think that would be a smart move. How are the back bunk door seals? If the back ones are iffy, I think I would have them do that also.

The real test is towing in a driving rain.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #5

Yep. I scheduled to have both seals replaced. The back isn't as bad as the front but will be soon.

We bought this camper from somebody my wife works with. I have been surprised at how poor their attention to maintenance details has been. Looks like they did not understand what it takes to keep it in top condition. The just camped in it. End of the story!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We bought this camper from somebody my wife works with. I have been surprised at how poor their attention to maintenance details has been. Looks like they did not understand what it takes to keep it in top condition. The just camped in it. End of the story!
It's called pride of ownership. It's all the little things that add up to keeping it in descent shape. I'm always wiping around all the door openings, roof vents covers. I even wax my AC and frig vents. With our trip to Alaska I just under coated my wheelwells, and exposed frame on the front of the RV trailer.

Tags
ace, replace