Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Camping in cold weather

Hi everyone I am new to site have been camping in a trailer for years. I have not camped in weather where it is in 20s and 30s at night. We are due to go and the weather is calling for below freezing at night 40s maybe lows 50s during day. Camper is not inclosed in underbelly Microlite25ks. Will the pipes freeze if I use city water hook ups? Should I just use bathhouse at campsite hate to get out at night to go to bathroom. Thanks for any advice always worry about freezing pipes.

camper2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Be safe and use the campground facilities. Better to ere on the side of caution.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Another option would be to fill a couple of gallon milk jugs and use them to flush the stool instead of using your fresh water system, will keep your pipes empty, and you won't have to go outside either. We did just that on the start of a trip a couple of weeks ago, for a day or so until we got out of cold weather area.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Will this not make black tank freeze the camper it winterize so will that help?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Camper2013, welcome to iRV2! Lots of good folks here so enjoy readind and posting.

With an unenclosed underbelly with gray and black tanks exposed, I would NOT use any part of the water system. In fact, you should drain them and winterize before heading out and use the campground facilities exclusively.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #6

The camper is winterize already thanks just getting view points. The campground has a nice bathhouse so I think I will Take Desert Flyer advise and use their facilities was not expecting this cold temps but it happens. Already had reservation didnt want to lose deposit and not go.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Safe travels. We too will be leaving Massachusetts in 9 days and I am watching extended weather reports. I will fill with fresh water, but will not fully dewinterize until I get into warmer temperatures. 🚍🤠
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Another option would be to fill a couple of gallon milk jugs and use them to flush the stool instead of using your fresh water system, will keep your pipes empty, and you won't have to go outside either. We did just that on the start of a trip a couple of weeks ago, for a day or so until we got out of cold weather area.
That is what we have done. There is a state park near us in NE. Ohio open all year round that has a heated showerhouse. Otherwise we have camped at times where the night time lows were in the low 20's and had no issues with when there was water in the pipes. Now I didn't have the water hose attached to the campgrounds water supply. But the next day the temps were at least into the high 30's. There was enough heat inside the trailer at night to get some residual heat to the plumbing system.

The only warning I might give is if you do the thing with the water jugs and the waste water in the tanks butts up against the dump valves when the temps get in the mid teens and the next day stays under 32.

Our new RV tt is rated down to zero degrees as long as the furnace is running.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just take a few gallons of water with you for cooking and bathroom. take a gallon of rv anti-freeze on pour down the drains to get some ant-freeze into the tanks.. works perfect for us.

Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cold weather