Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Carbon fiber RV first of its kind

Global Caravan Technologies, Inc. unveils its first all carbon fiber RV.

Style and craftsmanship are blended uniquely together in the CR-1 Carbon to pave way for unprecedented luxury standards and options, making camping more glamorous. The CR-1 Carbon is the first of many planned products in the CR-Series, and is one of the more premium offerings for super-luxury towables by GCT. Customers can take a step even further into super-luxury by selecting a custom build, or as a more practical option the CR-1 Luxury will blend carbon fiber content with full-time camping in mind.

View video at this link - CR-1 Carbon RV Unveiling Mar10 on Vimeo

Interior views video here - Global Caravan Technologies CR-1 RV - YouTube

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

I am in love

Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One negative I see, that black skin has to make the interior very warm in the sun.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Why? Just to say you have a CF trailer, I guess. How easy it is to part a fool and their money...
When I see one in Korea, I'll let ya' all know.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe they answered your why? In the video. As with any gimmick those with deep pockets will spend the $. That does not necessarily make them a fool. Heck look at all the unnecessary crap they make to accessorize our RV's and people buy, buy, buy. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

The first thing I look for in an RV is lots of windows; lots of light! The people who *designed* this trailer, have probably never lived in an RV. This thing must be as dark as a cave.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Why? Just to say you have a CF trailer, I guess. How easy it is to part a fool and their money...

When I see one in Korea, I'll let ya' all know.

I like an SUV and I like the look of that unit. It has nothing to do with the CF or the price (which I'm not affording anytime soon)

The QX56/80 is a beauty and it matches that trailer perfectly. I also love the interior appointments. I wish that combo was used more in RVs
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a statement about the makers of this new type of RV. Only $170k to start.

Quote:
Carbon fiber is becoming more and more prevalent on production vehicles -- look no further than the BMW i3 -- but a new company headquartered in Speedway, IN, is taking the ultra-light material to the next level. Soon you will be able to order a 35-foot-long, tow-behind RV made from a carbon-fiber monocoque chassis and body. The company behind it is called Global Caravan Technologies, and it recently revealed the production-ready prototype of its CR-1 trailer.

GCT was founded in the summer of 2013, and design of the CR-1 began in September. The company worked with IndyCar Series racecar builder Dallara to develop the technology capable of building such massive pieces of carbon fiber for the monocoque. It's still keeping the exact production process a secret. Company CEO Charles Hoefer tells Autoblog, "There are lots of patents involved and underway." The production model will be shown in the fall, and sales will begin in the first quarter of 2015.

"We are forging a niche that hasn't existed before," said Hoefer about GCT. He predicts the production CR-1 will have a base weight of about 6,000 pounds, which the company claims is about half as much as a traditional RV of this size. For drivers, it means estimated fuel economy that's 100 percent to 150 percent better than competitors. The body and monocoque are completely bonded with no screws or fasteners, which also makes the CR-1 one of the stiffest trailers available.

As you can expect with its cutting edge tech, the CR-1 won't be cheap. Hoefer predicts that the production version will start around $170,000 with a top-shelf, fully customized model coming in at around $770,000 -- a massive sum, but not unheard of in the RV industry. In return, buyers will be offered luxury features like a full-height closets, a walk-through master bath, 700-watt solar system, integrated generator, adjustable-tint privacy glass, run-flat tires, and system controls via iOS, Android or PC.

The CR-1 prototype was built at GCT headquarters, next door to Dallara, but the company is still deciding on a location for the factory. It has plans to expand in the future with more available lengths. Scroll down to watch a video of the launch and to read more about the revolutionary caravan that we're guessing even the boys at Top Gear won't want to destroy.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

So they're autoclaving the entire shell as one piece? Why?
I have a lot of experience with CF. I don't understand why they'd try to do it this way. It is probably written poorly. You can bond components together very easily.
Am I alone in thinking that someone who is willing to spend $700K+ will want more than a TT?
It's still neat. Too rich for my blood, though.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

I agree with Stan, not enough windows. The dark colors would be to hot in the west. Looks like they have some cool interior components. I hope to see the payback of cost to fuel savings make carbon fiber RVs happen soon.