Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Disconnect battery on Aerolite C 160 ?

When sitting for weeks, is it recommended to disconnect the lead on the battery(When trailer is not in use)?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Never really thought about that....Ours has been sitting for 2 weeks between spring outings.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
With any RV, even if you are positive there in no drain on the battery(s), you need to fully charge the battery at least once per month and check the water level. If you don't, you are going to buy a lot of batteries!

With proper care, they will last 7 years or more.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
With any RV, even if you are positive there in no drain on the battery(s), you need to fully charge the battery at least once per month and check the water level. If you don't, you are going to buy a lot of batteries!

With proper care, they will last 7 years or more.
If I have the Cub plugged into power, am I charging the battery.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
If I have the Cub plugged into power, am I charging the battery.

yes, but it needs to be a 3-stage converter to safely keep the battery charged. older 2-stage converters can fry batteries, by overcharging, if not monitored.

why don't you just install a battery disconnect switch? charge the battery up and then disconnect it. if it's a good battery, it'll hold its charge for months.
i have one on my two batteries and i never have to keep recharging them.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

yes, but it needs to be a 3-stage converter to safely keep the battery charged. older 2-stage converters can fry batteries, by overcharging, if not monitored.

why don't you just install a battery disconnect switch? charge the battery up and then disconnect it. if it's a good battery, it'll hold its charge for months.
i have one on my two batteries and i never have to keep recharging them.
My unit is a 2002, any idea when 3 stage took over? I can install the disconnect No problem there. Is there an ID # to tell me what the inverter is?

Thanks
Thom
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
My unit is a 2002, any idea when 3 stage took over? I can install the disconnect No problem there. Is there an ID # to tell me what the inverter is?

Thanks
Thom
it's a CONverter, not an INverter. it converts 110v AC to 12v DC.
suggest you Google "12 volt side of life". lots to read and learn there to help you understand how it all works.

do you have the paperwork that came with the trailer. mine had a pamphlet from the converter's manufacturer.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

it's a CONverter, not an INverter. it converts 110v AC to 12v DC.
suggest you Google "12 volt side of life". lots to read and learn there to help you understand how it all works.

do you have the paperwork that came with the trailer. mine had a pamphlet from the converter's manufacturer.
Sorry for IN slip. No paperwork so I'm going to the manufacture for assist. Thank for tip on "12 volt side of life"
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley

Sorry for IN slip. No paperwork so I'm going to the manufacture for assist. Thank for tip on "12 volt side of life"
No doubt you have a single stage charger, unless a previous owner updated it. These chargers put out about 13.6 volts continous. At this voltage, it will eventually "boil' the battery dry if left plugged in. So it is imperative to monitor water level if you ever do.

When I had one, I would leave plugged in 2 days and off for 2 weeks.

Last year I upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics PD9245. I'm plugged in anytime I'm not on the road. Haven't needed to add water yet. The voltages are 14.2, 13.6, and 13.2. The first brings the batt to 90% charged. The second finishes the full charge. The last maintains the batt without boiling it.

The PD9245 is about $140 and would be a perfect upgrade for you. IOTA also makes a very good "smart" charger. I would avoid all others.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

No doubt you have a single stage charger, unless a previous owner updated it. These chargers put out about 13.6 volts continous. At this voltage, it will eventually "boil' the battery dry if left plugged in. So it is imperative to monitor water level if you ever do.

When I had one, I would leave plugged in 2 days and off for 2 weeks.

Last year I upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics PD9245. I'm plugged in anytime I'm not on the road. Haven't needed to add water yet. The voltages are 14.2, 13.6, and 13.2. The first brings the batt to 90% charged. The second finishes the full charge. The last maintains the batt without boiling it.

The PD9245 is about $140 and would be a perfect upgrade for you. IOTA also makes a very good "smart" charger. I would avoid all others.
Great info thank you
Thom

Tags
battery