Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Does anyone have the 2014 Wildwood X-lite 231RBXL or a Wildwood TT?

I have been talking to a dealer about a different model when he mentioned he had the Wildwood he would like to get rid of at a very good price, now I know its an entry level type TT but for now it fits what we would use it for camping 6-8 weekends a season some early and into October it has a nice slide out. Everything else we are looking at is $10,000 more example the Palomino Solaire 201ss and others in that class. I realize that there is no comparison to the two.
Question is what kind of quality is the Wildwood? Its a Forest River product so I would think its not all bad. It is highly discounted so if I upgrade in three yrs I don't think Ill take a beating. Any input would be awesome. Thanks
vt skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt skier View Post
I have been talking to a dealer about a different model when he mentioned he had the Wildwood he would like to get rid of at a very good price, now I know its an entry level type TT but for now it fits what we would use it for camping 6-8 weekends a season some early and into October it has a nice slide out. Everything else we are looking at is $10,000 more example the Palomino Solaire 201ss and others in that class. I realize that there is no comparison to the two.
Question is what kind of quality is the Wildwood? Its a Forest River product so I would think its not all bad. It is highly discounted so if I upgrade in three yrs I don't think Ill take a beating. Any input would be awesome. Thanks
My DH and I own this model and we've taken it out for 3 trips and so far so good, we love it! It's our first experience with a tt and it fit what we were looking for and was in our price range. We had only one minor issue so far and it was a small leak under the bathroom sink and all that was needed was for a clamp to be tightened just a little. We're looking forward to another trip later this fall.

Not sure if we're the best source for advice b/c our experience is quite limited, but I've heard that more expensive does not always mean less headaches. I suppose our expectations are we expect a few bumps along the way. We feel we made a very good decision.
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
My DH and I own this model and we've taken it out for 3 trips and so far so good, we love it! It's our first experience with a tt and it fit what we were looking for and was in our price range. We had only one minor issue so far and it was a small leak under the bathroom sink and all that was needed was for a clamp to be tightened just a little. We're looking forward to another trip later this fall.

Not sure if we're the best source for advice b/c our experience is quite limited, but I've heard that more expensive does not always mean less headaches. I suppose our expectations are we expect a few bumps along the way. We feel we made a very good decision.
We are in the same boat first TT and it pretty much is what we are looking for. I'm a bit nervous spend a ton of money first time out and realizing we made a mistake, its hard to research some of these units so that's why I am asking for some input. Seems like you are pleased!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, the Wildwoods are more of a entry level unit. Are you looking at a 2014 model? What price are they quoting you?

Things to look at and take note are:
~size of fresh water tank. Anything under 30 gallons is small

~ how do the cabinets look as far as construction. Where the drawer slides are attached to the back inside of the cabinet is it plastic. Plastic ones tend to break very easily.

~ does the model you are looking at have a slide. Resaling a RV without a slide is harder

~ is the floor plan user friendly. Is there enough counter space, cabinet storage.
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Some of the things I love about this model, specifically the 2014 231RBXL:

1) the counter top space is better than most trailers we looked at in the price range and size we were considering - we also got one of those wooden cutting blocks that go over the stove to give us even more space.

2) the slide and layout made the interior space seem open and spacious - perfect for the two of us.

3) large window in the slide (u-dinette) really lets in the light.

4) nice sized bathroom in comparison to other trailers - you can sit on the pot without feeling cramped up, lol!

5) liked that the outside door and the bathroom is on the side of the trailer farthest from the bed

6) plenty of storage for clothes - I bought some IKEA hanging storage organizers to make the most of the space - they fit perfect!

7) turned the wardrobe next to the bathroom into a pantry

Other considerations:

- we could tow this without having to buy a new tv

I can't remember how the drawers are attached, but I'm sure I could fix that up if need be without too much trouble. Part of the fun is doing mods! In fact, we planning a small trip before our 'fall' trip to install a couple more mods. We're going to install some Horbst probes (since the sensors that typically come with trailers are trash) for our black water tank as well as a quickie flush to keep it as clean as we can. Can you tell we're having fun!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Some of the things I love about this model, specifically the 2014 231RBXL:

1) the counter top space is better than most trailers we looked at in the price range and size we were considering - we also got one of those wooden cutting blocks that go over the stove to give us even more space.

2) the slide and layout made the interior space seem open and spacious - perfect for the two of us.

3) large window in the slide (u-dinette) really lets in the light.

4) nice sized bathroom in comparison to other trailers - you can sit on the pot without feeling cramped up, lol!

5) liked that the outside door and the bathroom is on the side of the trailer farthest from the bed

6) plenty of storage for clothes - I bought some IKEA hanging storage organizers to make the most of the space - they fit perfect!

7) turned the wardrobe next to the bathroom into a pantry

Other considerations:

- we could tow this without having to buy a new tv

I can't remember how the drawers are attached, but I'm sure I could fix that up if need be without too much trouble. Part of the fun is doing mods! In fact, we planning a small trip before our 'fall' trip to install a couple more mods. We're going to install some Horbst probes (since the sensors that typically come with trailers are trash) for our black water tank as well as a quickie flush to keep it as clean as we can. Can you tell we're having fun!
Same exact model with the power jacks tongue etc, again starting to get excited about this!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Yes, we got the 'Showstopper' package, lol! Being that you're looking at a 2014 late in the year, I do hope you get a good price if you decide to go with this trailer. I saw an advertisement in GA for one under 14k - we paid more but we bought ours in March/April so no big surprise there

In any event, you will be the ones to have to live with the decision so whatever you decide, I hope you will enjoy it!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It nice to get the DSI hot water tank. With a flick of a switch you can heat water with electric or propane. A few years back a basic manual light water heater was found on base models the DSI (direct spark ignition) was a upgrade. But now most tt's are coming with the DSI.

Will worth getting. Never know when you are camping at a campground with poor shower houses. Or like tonight were camping in northern ohio with the lows in the mid 30's were able to take our showered in our unit.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

Showstopper pkg it is! This is just under $15k there is a dealer about 3hrs away who has it for under $14. Will be talking to the sales re on Monday.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking at that model (2014 Wildwood X-lite 231RBXL ) I don't see a whole lot of inside storage. Normally you will see cabinets above the bed and above dining area. The storage under the bed will make up for limited inside storage. The access door from the outside is rather small to get to things that way. Another thing is the outside awning is only 14' and doesn't cover the entry door. At least that is what Forest River's website shows. But I do see on dealer websites ones were the awning does cover the door. It might be that the standard (non-powered) awning is a 14' one, but the power awning is longer. Something to confirm.

The website says it coming with a "Gas" DSI water heater. Would be nice if a "gas / electric" DSI water heater was available.

The 631 lb. dry hitch weight is rather heavier for a 24' RV. That might go up a little with added options not included in a "base" unit. My 26' hybrid is 530lb which I see as a little over average. My slide (couch / kitchen) is more towards the front of mine.

With all said if you can get this unit under 15k your in the ballpark. I always deal with a "out the door price". I want to see one price on a quote. (tax, prep, ad fees, doc fees) otherwise they will add stuff under the final price.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #11

The awning does cover the door on this unit good call on the water heater need to ask, and yes the extra fees can be a killer, this dealer wants $350.00 doc fee to register the trailer I had to remind him I need to register in VT and wouldn't be paying the doc fee then he said well I need to charge you $150.00 for a transportation tag I mentioned I can go to the DMV and get it for $50.00 I think I enjoy aggravating these people.....Anyways my wife has not seen it yet so we are driving the 2 hrs this week to go see it and possibly put a deposit on it. I find it mind boggling that they charge a prep fee and still want to sell me a sewer hose etc.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like I said...Ask for a "out the door price". You will have to tell them what the tax rate is for VT. but it hinders them from sneaking in other fee's.

My Toyota salesman know that when I'm ready to buy, I hand him a piece of paper on it with one number. You need to beat this..You have one chance...

On my 14' Tundra I had thought I received a outstanding offer from an other dealer across town which was $3000 - $3500 less than I had received elsewhere. I had my wife call the dealer 2 blocks away and say "Hey Sam, I think Jim is about to buy that new Tundra he has been thinking about from a out of town dealer, I really like you because you sold me my last two Corolla's. maybe you better talk to him before he signs papers". Sure enough a minute late, Sam calls me and says to bring by my trade back again to have a 2nd look. Sure enough, after 15 minutes of three people looking over my trade again, he said what will it take to get your business, gave him the piece of paper with my OTD (Out the door) price. Really didn't think they would beat it. Sure enough 5 minutes later I was signing papers.

I remember they had a "advertising fee of $200" added on that they crossed off my bill of sale. Yes, the Doc fee was there, but above the final price.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

The dealer is unable or not wanting to pay the taxes to VT nor can they register it in VT as they are a NY entity so that's the reason for transport plates. So you are from NE Ohio hows the lake effect by you? I'm from south of Buffalo (Colden NY) originally we would get blasted every yr with lake effect when I would get to the office I was the only one with deep snow on the car and everyone would say you must be crazy......We loved it
Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking for that first big snow to do a pre-X-Mas Peek-n-Peak ski trip. Nothing for them to get 2' or 3' early in the season from a lake effect storm.