Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #1

We are considering the purchase of an older model Hilo Classic, 1984. All systems check out but one thing makes me nervous. The dealer has replaced some wall panels(and it looks like some ceiling panels too) because as they say, "they were marked up...you know...its a 1984".

Now I don't see any obvious signs of water dammage, on seams or elsewhere but is it possible that those panels were used to hide a host of dammage that I now can't see? How do I know? Is it normal for a dealer to replaced panels on an older model just to make it look nicer for sale or should I be suspicious?

The trailer suits our needs in many regards but we can ill afford to make a wrong move here. Any advice would be well appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

We are considering the purchase of an older model Hilo Classic, 1984. All systems check out but one thing makes me nervous. The dealer has replaced some wall panels(and it looks like some ceiling panels too) because as they say, "they were marked up...you know...its a 1984".

Now I don't see any obvious signs of water dammage, on seams or elsewhere but is it possible that those panels were used to hide a host of dammage that I now can't see? How do I know? Is it normal for a dealer to replaced panels on an older model just to make it look nicer for sale or should I be suspicious?

The trailer suits our needs in many regards but we can ill afford to make a wrong move here. Any advice would be well appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It's not very likely the panels were replaced for cosmetic purposes by a dealer. Most likely there was some wood rot issues that have either been repaired entirely or patched up to get by. It'd be hard to tell without being able to see inside the walls.

I have a Friend who has a late 80's or early 90's HiLo that he thought the lifting mechanism was broken. When I helped him remove the exterior aluminum to get to the mechanism, we saw that all the supporting 2x2's had dry rotted. There wasn't enough strength left in the wood to support the lift mechanism any more. He hasn't repaired it yet, it'll require a complete rebuild of the sides, still sitting under his shed.

Unless the price is so lucrative that you just can't pass it up or you don't mind taking the chance on internal wood rot, I'd pass on it until it can be unequivocally proved there isn't any hidden deterioration. Not sure how it could be proved without a tear down though.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #4

I'm with Richard; that does sound a bit fishy. I can't see a dealer doing cosmetic repairs to a 21 year old unit (I work at an RV dealer, so I do have some insight with this issue). Those are as-is sales, and a certain amount of cosmetic issues are to be expected for such an old RV.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #5

.....The sun comes up......... HiLo's have rotten wood over time.....what else is new?....What stick and staple trailer doesn't have after 20 years?...answer: a aluminum or steel structure truck conversion....Like on: TruckConversion.net ....geofkaye