Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The only issue running the little portable ceramic heater is if the campground has poor power wattage. In that case I will run a separate extension cord right from the campgrounds 20 amp outlet and snake it in thru the bunkend flap to run just the heater. I also have a analog volt meter I have in one of the outlet that I keep any eye on. You should be in better shape. The biggest power users are you micro, electric hot water heater, AC, ceramic heater and color TV's (flat panels use less wattage ). For the most part your not going to run all of these at the same time. There as been times when I would have to shut off the AC to run the microwave oven.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A long time!...Buy an electric mattress cover and before you go to bed turn it on low....wake up in the morning and run to the furnace and turn on the coffee...then run back to bed!!!!!!!!!
Richard

She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #17

Yes Jim, mine has the same lever. Thanks for the Aerolite 2004 brochure, I did not have this one. JD
Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I once used a 5 gallon tank for my 38 Foot triple slide out Class A. .lasted 2 days and still had gas left.. Of course I don't know how cold it will be out where you are (Or remember how cold it was where I was) or how hot you like it (70 for me) inside.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #19

Even running the furnace quite a bit, I typically figure that 1 gallon/day is a pretty conservative planning figure.

Steve
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You do have to remember were talking about a hybrid trailer. And yes the person sleeping towards the bunk window will feel the cold. In the fall we lay out sleeping bags for the bunks...

The coldest we have camped was the low 20's under the cover of trees on a clear Oct. night. In the open field area where there were some people in tents it was in the mid teens....I have a digital thermometer that I'll get a reading for as to walk around the campground in the morning coffee rounds.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #21

I just got back from my first camping trip with my Aerolite Hybrid. First I would like to say thank you for all of your suggestions. To answer my question to all of you, my two 5 gal/20 lbs propane tanks lasted the entire 6 days. I ran out of propane in one tank on the day we were leaving & the other was still full. The temp. was low 40's at night, so I ran the furnace at night for about 10 minutes & the same in the morning. The comforters did the job through-out the night. I may in the furture mix it up a little by adding an electric blanket & an electric heater for temps in the 30's. We have 4 in the family so we took showers every night & the kids every-other, plus we cooked every day with the stove & used the oven twice. Not bad for just one tank & I was worried that two was not enough. Thank again for the great suggestions. JD
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #22

propane

Yeah this is a great site & has helped me very much! The ceramic space heaters work very well but it is always important to run the propane furnace to help with vapor control! I would bet that you won't even use one tank on that trip. Mobil stations here will fill your tank up & or top it off & only charge you for what you used! You will be surprised how little you will use! Sounds like a great trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiansnpvp View Post
Wow, thank you everyone for your input, this forum is great. I got answers & suggestions I did not even think of. I did not think of trying one tank at a time to see how much is used & yes I will be plugged in so a electric heater is a great ideal. I'm thinking of a quick furnace heat up at night & morning & not run it through the night, but I will bring an electric heater just in case. There is a town close by, so great idea I could get more propane if needed. I think the furnace & water heater on the Aerolite Cub C160 runs only on propane, I did not see electric for these items. I even got the weight of propane 4.2 lbs per gallon, this place is better than going to the library. Thanks a lot, JD
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #23

We full time, and a 30# bottle lasts about 3-1/2 months when we just cook and use it for the hot water. We do not leave it set "on" for the hot water but use it as a backup when more is needed.

For heat, we are electric...................
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 40 gallon tank (32 usable) I really don't know how long it lasts. I fill it every couple of years when the gauge shows it's low.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on how cold it is at night, and things like that. But Two tanks...

Just open one tank valve, leave the other closed,,, You won't use even half the tank you open.

If the tanks can be easily removed (To transport to a refill facility) then scale the tanks, A common bathroom scale will work but I like the accuracy of a beam balance.

Note the "FULL WEIGHT" on both tanks (use a magic marker or a luggage tag or a P-Touch or equivlent labeling system)

When you get home at the end of the week. close the valve (if not already closed) disconnect the tank and again scale it on the same scale Not the difference.

In the years I pulled my PUP.. I think I refilled the tanks one time.

My class A (Which uses a lot more propane) 27 gallon (100 pound) tank, 2 - 3 times a year, Last time was Saturday.

Tags
propane