Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Fridge while travelling

Hi Guys,

Is there anything special I need to do to keep my fridge on once the TT is hooked to vehicle and on the road? Last weekend stuff was starting to thaw on our way to the campground. Does it not run on 12 volt?

Thanks, Shannon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

From what I have read on this forum, your fridge can run on propane while you are travelling and it does not use all that much. I was told the only thing you need to remember is when pulling into a gasoline station to fuel up, be sure to turn off the refrigerator while refueling. Once you are done and drive away from the fuel pumps, you can turn the refrigerator back on.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by binspector View Post
From what I have read on this forum, your fridge can run on propane while you are travelling and it does not use all that much. I was told the only thing you need to remember is when pulling into a gasoline station to fuel up, be sure to turn off the refrigerator while refueling. Once you are done and drive away from the fuel pumps, you can turn the refrigerator back on.
Ok, thanks! I was wondering whether I need to run it on propane or not while travelling.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtilley View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there anything special I need to do to keep my fridge on once the TT is hooked to vehicle and on the road? Last weekend stuff was starting to thaw on our way to the campground. Does it not run on 12 volt?

Thanks, Shannon
hybrids, like most othe RV's, have 2-way fridges. meaning propane or 110AC shore power. no 12vDC, except for circuit board and lighting the propane.
3-way fridges are usually only in popups and truck campers and some older RV's that have small dorm-sized fridges.
only small fridges can be cooled by 12vDC power only.

only a handful of tunnels on the east coast, ban propane-run items being on when traveling through. otherwise, it's legal.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

hybrids, like most othe RV's, have 2-way fridges. meaning propane or 110AC shore power. no 12vDC, except for circuit board and lighting the propane.
3-way fridges are usually only in popups and truck campers and some older RV's that have small dorm-sized fridges.

only a handful of tunnels on the east coast, ban propane-run items being on when traveling through. otherwise, it's legal.
Perfect, thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Your refr uses 12V battery power to run the control board.
It uses either a 120V (shore power) heating element or a propane flame to heat and boil the coolant in the cooling unit.
If you leave the refr on auto and have good LP and battery power, it will go from 120V to LP and back automatically.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Not on newer RV's???? Where did this come from. My 2010 has a 3 way ref. This is likely the case for A's but not for smaller units. But it is just my observation, don't have stats to back anything up on this.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

I run my fridge on propane every time I'm in transit. I have went from WA to OH by way of Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore, 7 days of constant use in this manner. Never a problem. I was doubtful at first. But it works well. I have also installed a computer fan on the coils to help with heat transfer. It dropped the temp 8-12 degrees.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1045 View Post
I run my fridge on propane every time I'm in transit. I have went from WA to OH by way of Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore, 7 days of constant use in this manner. Never a problem. I was doubtful at first. But it works well. I have also installed a computer fan on the coils to help with heat transfer. It dropped the temp 8-12 degrees.
good idea re coils, will try that.

When I only had 2way fridge on my A's, I ran with propane all the time when no AC present.

Just left on Auto - why would you not run with propane on. This is what fridges are designed for.

I now have a 3 way and run on 12v just because it makes sense.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Not on newer RV's???? Where did this come from. My 2010 has a 3 way ref. This is likely the case for A's but not for smaller units. But it is just my observation, don't have stats to back anything up on this.
Libero
I don't think many newer RVs have 3 way refrigerators, even class A's.

2 ways need both 12VDC AND:
1.) 120VAC
OR:
2.) LP.

Does yours actually run/cool using ONLY #3, 12VDC?
If so it may have been an expensive option on yours when new?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

my 2001 & 2005 A's had 2 way. My 2010 B+ has a 3 way Dometic - best option IMHO

run on 12v while driving.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

If you have a 3way refr, the 12V heating element is only usually good to keep it cool, not actually cool it down from nothing.
On the older Norcold units (N8xx I think) that had the 3way option, the 12V heater only would kick on if the voltage to it was 14V or so. So very high. You'd only get that from the alternator, and on a trailer, you'd have too much voltage drop to ever get that thing running. Only a direct line from the alternator almost would get it to work.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If you have a 3way refr, the 12V heating element is only usually good to keep it cool, not actually cool it down from nothing.
On the older Norcold units (N8xx I think) that had the 3way option, the 12V heater only would kick on if the voltage to it was 14V or so. So very high. You'd only get that from the alternator, and on a trailer, you'd have too much voltage drop to ever get that thing running. Only a direct line from the alternator almost would get it to work.
My Dometic makes ice cubes while I drive with 12V selected. I would surmise that the fridge is more than just keeping cool, but I will test the heating and circuitry unit further to validate the operation, but making ice cubes to me implies it is "cooling". This is in a MH.

Good point about the TT.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #14

Checked the specs on my Dometic. It is designed for continious operation on 12v, 120Vac or propane. It consumes 170w of power (meaning 13, 6A@12vdc), no mention of 14v at all.