Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #29
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Tell the tranny shop or the liability lawyer(s) about that theory...
I'll stick with common sense and experience. Just be safe out there!
Big Baron,
Canam experience is more than 20 years long and and hundreds of people found it outstanding, I could not find any negative negative results except when trailer is not selected carefully and GVWR is exceeded by 100 lb or so. But even in this cases performance is still great although technically this is against the law in some states.We are 450lb below GVWR and can afford more passengers and/ or stuff if needed.

7gtronic is almost as strong as Allison 1000/2000 ( you can check Wikipedia or other source) but more technologically advanced, in Europe they put it in Sprinter trucks as an option. In my application it works at 48% of its stated input torque capability. What problems should be expected other than sporadic?

Now, lawyers. I have to deal with them rather frequently due to my profession. They are our friends and neighbors after all, and have to pay their mortgages and kids tuition. If something happens the goal is to produce compensation for the injured and fees for trial lawyers at minimal time and expense and move forward to the next case. Imagine, a father of 3 kids is killed or injured on the road. Another guy driving RV for fun will find little sympathy in the courtroom, no matter how big is his truck and how small is his trailer. The case will be settled for full amount no matter what. Criminal liability is possible if the law was really violated (DUI, negligent driving) but there is nothing in the law about Towing Capacity, this is a very soft number, unlike federally certified GVWR and axle ratings.

In any case, I am not taking $50k from my 401k at this point to buy something which is going to sit at the parking lot most of the time, create many real problems while solving none.
At that's the common sense.
Drive carefully.

Gene//////'16 Passport 2670 BH
'11 Mercedes ML 350 gas, Reinforced OEM hitch receiver,1000 lb Eaz-Lift with custom welded head, 2 sway control bars, P2, tst 507 trailer TPMS
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #30
I saw your TV on your profile (it didn't show up on my phone)
I found this;
** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.
Your trailer is 5,800 lbs. or 7,400 lbs.? I presume the latter when loaded.

I saw one like this in Korea, but it was an AMG ML63 and it was pulling a European trailer which is lighter and smaller. (~$400K for the two in Korea)

I'm getting the popcorn ready. Anyone want some?

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #31
Popcorn? Now you may need it! May be even a sick sack...

Mini and Airstream Argosy.swf - YouTube

ML is a good example of irrelevance of towing capacity and a proof that TC, while may reflect technical capability, serve other goals as well, marketing first of all, can vary from market to market and can be inflated or lowered for no mechanical reason. ML's TC in Europe and most other places is 7715lb regardless of the engine and was well validated by thousands of people towing various things and this is the only number I would respect, at least to some extent. When ML II generation went on sale in US in 2006 it was rated at 5000lb. In a year or two a 2WD model came and...4WD model's TC jumped to 7200lb, while 2WD was rated at 4600lb. No major mechanical changes were done to the vehicle during entire production run. Same powertrain, cooling, brakes, springs, GVWR, same lousy hitch receiver which was improved to acceptable level only in 2011 and so on.
My vehicle is 2WD and I spent considerable amount of time researching it in details and getting separate professional opinions which were unanimous: The only difference of 2WD from 4WD is just...the fact that this is a 2WD! And these 2 versions are equally capable, as long as I am not trying to pull 7700lb boat on a slippery ramp.
The Passport I am pulling is approx. 4900lb empty/540 hitch, 7200lb gross, 5800lb in reality. I have a weight receipt with 3 people inside from 1 year ago; there was somewhat less stuff than now + fuel tank was only 1/3 full so 100lb should be added to the rear axle. WD was engaged.
ML63AMG on your picture is a great machine, but quite pricy. It can certainly accelerate the trailer up to triple digit speeds but its unsafe anyway and nobody would like gas mileage. Basic V6 is simply enough to do the job of pulling TT at 60-65 mph in almost all real life situations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_155116.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	50491   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_155623.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	50494  

Gene//////'16 Passport 2670 BH
'11 Mercedes ML 350 gas, Reinforced OEM hitch receiver,1000 lb Eaz-Lift with custom welded head, 2 sway control bars, P2, tst 507 trailer TPMS
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Very interesting. Looks good to me.

The folks with the ML63 aren't worried about gas mileage, trust me. (gas is $7-8 a gallon here) These folks were loaded. This pic was taken at the Formula 1 race.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote