Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

Generator on rear end of rv (install rack)

I have a 2002 hybrid Trail Lite bantam 23 foot long. I want to install a metal rack on the rear of my RV and keep my generator that weighs probably 400 lb. Do you think this is a bad idea? I have it mounted on front of RV at the present time. Can someone help me with this question? Should I do it or no?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cephus View Post
I have a 2002 hybrid Trail Lite bantam 23 foot long. I want to install a metal rack on the rear of my RV and keep my generator that weighs probably 400 lb. Do you think this is a bad idea? I have it mounted on front of RV at the present time. Can someone help me with this question? Should I do it or no?
There are no hard and fast rules. Adding 400lbs to the back of any trailer is allot. It may increase the sway.

Before doing anything you'll want to figure the hitch weight or you may end up in the ditch....or worse.

The best systems incorporate 2 receivers which prevents the weight from flopping side to side.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #3

Would you tell me more about "two" receivers, I don't understand, and if they will help with fish-tailing, I really want to know more. thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

I am really interested in learning more about two receivers. If anyone can shed light on this, please respond to this post.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Generator on rear end of rv (install rack)

I donít have one but I am guessing that it is two receivers and two bars that support the rack. When you put a tow bar into a receiver, there is quite a bit of play and the rack could shift/sway/clank back and forth. With two receivers, much less play and more stable. But again as someone commented earlier, be careful about adding heavy weight at the back of the trailer for two reasons...1) the extra weight reduces weight on the hitch and may cause the hitch load to be too light and allow fishtailing and 2) most trailer bumpers are really just very thin-walled light gage tubes for the sewer hose and not strong enough to attach anything to (not even a spare tire).
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 400lb generator? That's heavy. Our champion 3100 weight is about 90lb. Even if carrying a couple 5 gallon containers of gasoline would not be 400lb.

What generator do you carry?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Heck, the Power Tech 7000 diesel generator in Mona only weigh's 424 lbs.

What generator are you planning to strap to the back bumper?
I would put it in the bed of your pickup truck, and bolt it down!
The Honda 2000i weigh's around 46 lbs.
The Honda 3000i weigh's around 131 lbs.
Any construction type generator is going to make you very unpopular in the CG, or in the boondock area very quickly! So, my advice, is get a quiet one for sure, and secure it good! JMHO! Rail!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
I donít have one but I am guessing that it is two receivers and two bars that support the rack. When you put a tow bar into a receiver, there is quite a bit of play and the rack could shift/sway/clank back and forth. With two receivers, much less play and more stable. But again as someone commented earlier, be careful about adding heavy weight at the back of the trailer for two reasons...1) the extra weight reduces weight on the hitch and may cause the hitch load to be too light and allow fishtailing and 2) most trailer bumpers are really just very thin-walled light gage tubes for the sewer hose and not strong enough to attach anything to (not even a spare tire).
I know you guys are talking about a trailer but I use one of these when I put a cargo carrier, or bike rack for that mater, in the hitch on my RV.

It really stops the twisting from the extra play. That play is insignificant when towing but when using to carry something it really makes a difference.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #9

Thanks so much - that pic of the double receiver really makes sense to me. I'm gonna use it & see. Thanks again
Old 10-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

Maybe it don't weigh 400-but it is heavy & I have it quieted down pretty good. I had a new bumper installed that will carry the weight. Just concerned about effect it may have on trip safety.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #11

hitch weight

One of the moderators or someone, not sure who it was, told me to check my "hitch weight" - I do not know what or how you determine "hitch weight", but I sure would like to know what it is and how you determine "it" - thanks for helping a 70 yr old "novice". My GVWR is 4682# - my UVW is 3351# - my CCC is 1042#. I wrote these numbers down from sticker inside cabinets of TT. I know it sounds like I know what they mean, actually all I know about them is what the initials stand for (off google) - however google is no help concerning "hitch weight", I don't think they know either, I know when questions get "hard", they start sending you to pages with more & more questions - wish they would say "we don't know"----just a thought
Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Its not just the weight of the generator. You also have the added weight of the carrier it rides on PLUS the added weight of the new bumper. That's a lot of extra weight that wasn't accounted for when it was built. Since you're asking I think its a bad idea.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With only 1042 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity on you hybrid, and your going to use 400 lb. for a Genny and say another 50-100lbs. for some sort of rack to hold it, your only left with 500 lbs. for all your supplies and belongings. My last hybrid ( 26' Aerolite hybrid ) had 2500 lbs. of cargo capacity.

There is another issue you will encounter. Exhaust from the 400 lb. genny "may" find it's way into the RV hybrid trailer because where you have it mounted (under the bunk).

Outdoors RV had a option for their RV trailers, with a "swing-arm" genny holder, where you pulled the "pin" and the platform would swing out about 2-3' away from the trailer when you wanted to use it. Here is a link ( TORKLIFT ) to who I believe supplied what they called the "Space Deck" It uses a 2" receiver, but only has a 250 lb. limit.

Where on your tongue do you now mount this 400 lb. genny?

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, install