Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Hard sided expandables

I am not familiar with the market yet -- but I am looking for an expandable with hard sides, about 15 - 20 feet long when towed and max weight of 4000 pounds.
I would be pulling it with a GMC Yukon with 5.3 engine.
When opened I would like to sleep 2 adults and up to 4 pre-teens, when closed are there any that still have a place for two adult to sleep?
All into would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
wstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are many floor-plans for hybrids now a days. Sleeping 6 there are many options. There are some hybrids that have 3 bunks. If your looking to sleep just two adults without opening any of the bunk door, look at models that have a "pit dinette" . But know before hand if the closed bunks mattress store vertically with each bunk, or like or 2nd hybrid the mattress have to be stored across the dinette table during travel.

Our first hybrid (2005 Aerolite) the mattress with the help of a bungy cord stayed with the bunk and folded up when you closed the bunk door.

Our newer 2013 Aerolite hybrid the mattresses have to be moved to rest across the dinette table when the bunk doors are closed up.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #3

Hybrid

We have a 17 ft. Kodiak Hybrid that I think would suit your purposes. Hard sided with two tip out queen size beds. And yes....a couple could sleep inside on a very small bed that can be made over the dining table. Very small bed, over the table.....you gotta like one another. We only use it when the weather is very cold or short stopovers. Usually I sleep on a nice Thermarest mattress on the floor and the wife takes the bed, when not using the tip outs.

We have towed ours 26,000 miles in the last 30 months and will soon be leaving on a 7,000 mile 30 day camping/hiking trip to the northwest. It weighs about 3,800 lbs. fully loaded. We tow it with a Hemi powered 2012 Grand Cherokee. Average about 9 mpg.

We have been very happy with the little camper. It has all the conviences. A/C, furnace, bath with shower, gas range, water heater, fridge that works on gas or electic, microwave. Large 50 gallon fresh water tank, 40 gallons grew water and 40 gallons black water tanks. We camp off grid 95% of the time and keep the batteries fully charged with a 130 watt portable solar panel.

I believe that Thor still makes a similiar Hybrid.

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the input

Are there any tip outs or slide outs that are hard sided? or are all of them canvas ?
wstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Sure,

But very little in the small size that you have as a preference. Probably going to have to move up into the 24 + ft. length to get what you want. Then the weight goes way up and your tow vehicle becomes an issue...assuming you will tow anywhere other than flat lands.

My friends with slide outs have lots of mechanical problems with them. Not saying that is typical....just what my friends have experienced. You are asking a lot of a small camper in the 15 to 20 foot range.

Best of luck.

bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I doubt that you will find a hard side expandable within your specs. This is the smallest/lightest one I know of...24' and 5500 gross.
2015 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213 | Jayco, Inc.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #7

My hybrid is a little larger than what your looking for but the main reason I went a little larger was the slide-out and for the 1 nighters it works out great. With the slide-out we can take the mattress from the tent end and place it on the floor with room to spare. In the AM just put it back and were on our way. It's only 21' but it looks larger. It's a Jayco 2010EXP21M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	72685  
Tunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only expandable that I know of with no canvas is the A-Liner:
Aliner - The original A-frame pop up camper

Click image for larger version

Name:	our-aliner1.jpeg
Views:	2866
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	72687

My old Mesa Apache was a true hardside pop-top...but that company is long gone.

Name:   4967841121_ed7cf65e62.jpeg
Views: 4432
Size:  28.5 KB
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just found that Jayco is making one too:
Jay Series Sport Camping Trailers | Jayco, Inc.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #10

We own a Kodiak 160SVT and managed a trip a month last year and a month in Florida. It has two queen beds and the dinette can be converted to a bed. On the way to FL this year, we stayed in truckstops and my husband and I slept on the dinette bed. I am a large woman, yet we were comfortable. We each slept with our head in the opposite direction than the other, if you know what I mean. It sure beat paying for a hotel room! We ate dinner at the truckstop and breakfast in the camper.
BabaMartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #11

although they can be a bit expensive when new, Trailmanor makes a hard sided expandable that is a delight to tow and easy to set up. They've been around for a number of years. Check out their website.
minniesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I owned a Trailmanor 2027SL for several years and loved it. It is completely hard sided. It tows at 20' long and pops out to 27' long. It is fully self contained. Take a look at: TrailManor Website | The Smarter Way To RV

Don
Old 02-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Another former TrailManor owner

We had a really big one a few years back. Two beds plus dinette would sleep 6 and still have some room. It can't be used without fully setting up though. Ours was long but light, so I would recommend a sway control for it. We sold it because we had a bigger vehicle but no kids left at home, but it was a nice unit.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:25 AM   #14

I believe the outback has a hard side tt that has a bed that slides out the back like a hybrid
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote