Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Hybrid beds are to heavy

Last year I bought my first and only travel trailer a a Rockwood Roo 233s. My daughter and I looked into a number of trailers and I picked this one for me. I tried putting down the beds with and without her and I seemed to be able to handle them. Wrong I am to old to handle them compfortably by myself. The set up is great for me to take my children and grandchildren camping but I have had other adults with me to help. There is plenty of room with the fold down beds and slide out but, I can not do it myself. I want to go out by myself or with just my young grandchildren. I have contacted people at Forest River to see if there are any things that could be added to the beds to lower them and raise them esier for me by myself. I have also called various companys that sell Rockwood Roos no help there. I would appreciate any help or advice you could provide. Thank you Kathleen Debernardi
loveis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting question. Let me think....

~Plan "A" What about having someone screw in a small bracket on the inside outer section of the bunk. Attach a strong cord to the bracket, maybe put a handle on the end of the cord. So when opening the bunk up, you unlatch it on the outside. (The bunk will stay up as mine will) then go inside and grab the cord and or handle, give the bunk and mattress a little push and hold onto the cord to ease it down. On closing it back up, on the outside, un zelcro the material, fold it up (the tenting material), go inside and pull the cord. After using the cord just tuck it under the mattress.

~Plan "B"Get a old broomstick with a 90 degree hook on the end. Un latch the bunk, hold the hooked broomstick on the upper lip of the bunk and pull it open a hair, then use the broomstick to help ease it down.

~Plan "C" Ask for help....when you arrive at the campground. From 25 years of camping, I have learned fellow camps are there to help....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Hi. I'm new to the forum and joined to get the answer to the question you asked. My husband is going to have back surgery and will not be able to help. The problem is not getting the beds down, but getting them back up. I was hoping some engineering types might have an answer. Did you ever figure this one out?
Joelle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see the original ? was from 3 years ago. In that time we also bought a new hybrid, which sits about 8" taller, thus making the bunk doors even higher to reach. Getting them down is no problem, but getting them up I could do it if I really had to, but my son 19 year old son helps. I'm very able-bodied, but I could see if a people had a health issue it could be a problem.

Just thinking here
If I had some medical problem that I had to watch what I did, I would get a pole maybe 4' or 5' long, attach a pad at the one end as to not scratch the exterior and push the door up till it's about closed, using more of my lower body and legs than my back. Then with the pole tuck the tenting material in and then push the bunk door closed the rest of the way and latch it. Or just ask one of the neighboring campers to give you a hand. I would ask the night before "hey do you mind tomorrow if you can give me a hand lifting the bunk doors as my DH is limited to no heavy lifting."
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle P View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forum and joined to get the answer to the question you asked. My husband is going to have back surgery and will not be able to help. The problem is not getting the beds down, but getting them back up. I was hoping some engineering types might have an answer. Did you ever figure this one out?
Joelle, as Superslif said, that was posted 3 years ago and that person never posted again.

in 8 years of being on hybrid forums, i've never seen anyone come up with a lift system of any kind.
i'm 6' and i close up my bunk doors by myself and latch them.
i'm not in that great of shape at 60 but i can see someone with a back problem.
i hate to say it but hybrids do require someone or two people to be fit enough to be able to close the bunk doors.
i know of some people who have to get rid of their hybrids due to physical issues.
Superslif offers some good suggestions and hopefully one will work for you.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote