Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Two Jays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 46
Hybrid open or not?

We bought a hybrid about 3 weeks ago, it is a Jayco, Feather Ultra Lite, 23 ft, 2012, not that all that has anything to do with this.


I would like to know if anybody does the same as what I am thinking of doing. We purchased the trailer/camper with our grand kids in mind. However, I am thinking that when it is just my wife and I, especially in the colder or hotter seasons, I would not open/pull out the tent bed extensions, leave it as a hard side. This will cut down on the LP usage when using heat (I also have purchased a small (1500 watt) heater to help) and the A/C would cool better when it is real hot.

Pros/Cons, please!
__________________

__________________
US Army, Retired
2012 Jayco, Jay Feather Ultra Lite, 23B
2011 Ford F-150, XLT, Ecoboost
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
kd8omt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
We do the same thing. Unless we need the beds down we usually dont put them down. When it's cold out and the heat is on it cause condensation inside the canvas. Put in the hot summer the a/c doesn't have to work so hard.
__________________

__________________
kd8omt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 127
which Jayco did you buy? there are 3 different "23" models, the 23B, the 23F and the 23J. and none of them are 23' long. they are all longer than 24' long, the 23J is over 25' long.

you need to do some reading about hybrids and mods done to help in hot and cool weather.

the #1 hybrid mod is getting PopupGizmos or the generic solar/sportsmen blankets for the canvas ends.
also, a lot of us get Reflectix for the sides or windows of the bunk ends.
both of these help retain heat or cool, depending on what you need.
"Turtling"(leaving the bunk ends closed) limits you to the dinette or sofa, neither are comfortable for adults, unless yours has the u-dinette.
we've camped in Yosemite when it snowed, with our bunk end open. had 3" of snow on the canvas in the morning.
stayed warm inside with our PUGs and Reflectix.
our Roo has heated mattresses which are great if we have electric hookups.
__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Luv2go's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,891
We did the same thing too, especially when staying only one night while enroute to our destination. That was one of the benefits of the hybrid design, we could sleep on the converted U-shaped dinette when we did not want to tip the beds out.
__________________
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
2006 Roadtrek Versatile 210
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Member
 
Two Jays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8omt View Post
We do the same thing. Unless we need the beds down we usually dont put them down. When it's cold out and the heat is on it cause condensation inside the canvas. Put in the hot summer the a/c doesn't have to work so hard.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We did the same thing too, especially when staying only one night while enroute to our destination. That was one of the benefits of the hybrid design, we could sleep on the converted U-shaped dinette when we did not want to tip the beds out.
Same for you, Luv2go.

Yep, the hybrid does add a lot of flexibility. You don't have to put the beds down, yet, if you don't put them down, you haven't lost any usable living space.
__________________
US Army, Retired
2012 Jayco, Jay Feather Ultra Lite, 23B
2011 Ford F-150, XLT, Ecoboost
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Member
 
Two Jays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
which Jayco did you buy? there are 3 different "23" models, the 23B, the 23F and the 23J. and none of them are 23' long. they are all longer than 24' long, the 23J is over 25' long.

you need to do some reading about hybrids and mods done to help in hot and cool weather.

the #1 hybrid mod is getting PopupGizmos or the generic solar/sportsmen blankets for the canvas ends.
also, a lot of us get Reflectix for the sides or windows of the bunk ends.
both of these help retain heat or cool, depending on what you need.
"Turtling"(leaving the bunk ends closed) limits you to the dinette or sofa, neither are comfortable for adults, unless yours has the u-dinette.
we've camped in Yosemite when it snowed, with our bunk end open. had 3" of snow on the canvas in the morning.
stayed warm inside with our PUGs and Reflectix.
our Roo has heated mattresses which are great if we have electric hookups.
I didn't know we were going to get technical about the size. It is a 23B! I don't know this for sure but I think that the specifications that show the 23B at 24.something feet long includes the tongue. That is why I just go with 23 ft. If there is 24.something feet of living space, I stand corrected.

I do not want to make any mods to my trailer, not at this time. That is kinda why I asked the original question. I don't see the need to put the beds down unless there is some safety or other issues with not putting them down.
__________________
US Army, Retired
2012 Jayco, Jay Feather Ultra Lite, 23B
2011 Ford F-150, XLT, Ecoboost
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 127
sorry, wasn't trying to be technical, just trying to figure out which model you had, since some don't have a u-dinette. it's just hard to determine that when a length is posted.
having a u-dinette makes a difference "turtling", since a standard dinette or sofa, are too small for two adults to sleep comfortably.
since you have the 23B, your u-dinette will make it easy to do what you want.
as far as the mods, they are simple ones and since you are a new hybrid owner, just trying to make you aware of things you can do that allow you to use the canvas ends in colder or hotter temps.
the PUGs or solar blankets simply clamp onto the top of the canvas and provide temp regulation, along with keeping the canvas clean and providing darkening for naps or late risers.
__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Member
 
Two Jays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
sorry, wasn't trying to be technical, just trying to figure out which model you had, since some don't have a u-dinette. it's just hard to determine that when a length is posted.
having a u-dinette makes a difference "turtling", since a standard dinette or sofa, are too small for two adults to sleep comfortably.
since you have the 23B, your u-dinette will make it easy to do what you want.
as far as the mods, they are simple ones and since you are a new hybrid owner, just trying to make you aware of things you can do that allow you to use the canvas ends in colder or hotter temps.
the PUGs or solar blankets simply clamp onto the top of the canvas and provide temp regulation, along with keeping the canvas clean and providing darkening for naps or late risers.
There is always a problem with the written word, unless you are a professional at it, saying something in the emotion that is intend to be. No harm, no foul. I tend to be a "to the point" or a "matter of fact" kinda writer, it kinda goes with 20 years as an MP, I guess.
__________________
US Army, Retired
2012 Jayco, Jay Feather Ultra Lite, 23B
2011 Ford F-150, XLT, Ecoboost
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
Were thinking about going out Thanksgiving weekend (NE Ohio). If the night time lows are in the 20's. we will leave one of the bunks closed. We will also leave that mattress home to save room. With that one bunk closed for the most part a ceramic heater should handle it. At bedtime I'll set the RV furnace at about 60 to cycle on if needed.
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: virginia beach
Posts: 25
Some these are the reasons that I got a Hybrid and also going for a hard sided trailer. My hybrid doesn't have the larger sofa as I didn't think of this need. My SO doesn't like the canvas and I do and to keep relative happiness with us have decided to look towards a hard sided trailer. I do have PUX's and was about to have them sized (from large) to accomodate the hyrid and then consider Reflectix to further insulate the unit but decided to wait until I decide about a hard sided trailer. And I recently purchased a ceramic heater. Closing up the bunks would be the reasonable solution if you can fit in the sofa (I can't). My PUX's might be for sale cheap if you are interested.
bsvirginian
__________________
bsvirginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
Any future hybrid or a hard sided trailer with a couch slide is a must. Our's is presently for sale. We love the Aerolite hybrid so much and were looking at another one where the kitchen and couch are in the slide in a 25' length. I still think you get the most bang & sq. footage for the money. We aim more towards the nature part of camping staying 95% at state parks....so a little crisp air while sleeping just means you get to snuggle a little closer to the DW'y.
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 127
Superslif, the slideout with the kitchen and sofa in it, was first done with the Roo/Shamrock 23SS.
its floorplan has been copied by almost every brand.
the Jayco 23J, the Palomino 238, the Coachmen Freedom Express 23GSX, the KZ Coyote 23CKS to name a few.

bsvirginian, i think you mean PUGs, not PUX. PUX is the nickname for Popup Explorer's website.
PUGs is nickname for Popup Gizmos.
__________________
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: virginia beach
Posts: 25
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Superslif, the slideout with the kitchen and sofa in it, was first done with the Roo/Shamrock 23SS.
its floorplan has been copied by almost every brand.
the Jayco 23J, the Palomino 238, the Coachmen Freedom Express 23GSX, the KZ Coyote 23CKS to name a few.

bsvirginian, i think you mean PUGs, not PUX. PUX is the nickname for Popup Explorer's website.
PUGs is nickname for Popup Gizmos.
__________________
bsvirginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Member
 
Two Jays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 46
Just as a follow up to my original post, we did not put the beds down the last time we camped (Tunica MS., Hollywood Casino). It was great. We did not use the on-board heater either, we used a little floor heater (with remote) and it worked well. We plan on not putting the beds down in the future when it is just the two of us.

My only concern is the amount of condensation on the inside of the wondows, especially in the morning. But, that is something I will have to figure out.
__________________

__________________
US Army, Retired
2012 Jayco, Jay Feather Ultra Lite, 23B
2011 Ford F-150, XLT, Ecoboost
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kz-rv


« no power | Boler »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013, Ford to introduce new hybrid F series trucks Ray,IN iRV2.com General Discussion 0 07-31-2011 10:38 PM
Black tank valve open!?!?!? lp5151 RV Systems & Appliances 12 04-29-2010 01:00 PM
Bed stuck open Hansville Monaco Owner's Forum 6 04-23-2010 06:24 AM
DOE Announces $30 Million for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Projects Hitchhiker Going Green 2 06-22-2008 03:24 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.