Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

Hybrid or Not

If anyone has time, I would love to know what you think is better and why with the fold out canvas bedding vs the hard exterior.

Looking at a Shasta Oasis 18BH to purchase or a Jayco Ex-port. New to this so I would greatly love some advice and opinions.

Thank you in ADVANCE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your questions!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We're on our 2nd hybrid. Both are a little larger than what your looking at with slideouts. One was 25' (2005) the one now 26' (2013) , both Aerolite brand. Total of about 650+ nights. So you can say we have some experience with hybrids. With that said, yes I would have bought the same type of RV again.

But we are looking for that next RV, which will not be a hybrid. The problem is finding a floorplan and sleeping space in a RV under 30'. Also in a higher end brand (Arctic Fox, ORV or Highland Ridge. Weight also comes into question. The hybrid we have now is 4300 dry, the few units we have looked at are pushing 6500-7500lbs.

Both hybrids we have had a lot of storage space good counter space and a couch at or larger than 64". If I went with a 25' regular RV trailer with sleeping for 3 adults, I would have very little storage, very little counter space and no couch. Another reason moving away from hybrids is during the cool season, it will take more to heat the trailer. We have camped during Thanx-giving weekend with nights in the 20's.

Personally I wouldn't have a trailer without a slide. It just opens up the whole inside so much. Our 2013 has the couch and kitchen in the slide. But a slide will add weight and another $1000 or two or $3k to the price.

Before the two hybrids we had a Coleman pop-up, we were set to buy another new popup until we looked into a hybrid. I would defiantly take a hybrid over a popup any day.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

We had neighbors who had a hybrid and in rainy or very cold or hot weather they would close up the sides and sleep on the fold out couch. It worked for them and they loved their hybrid.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When we went to Alaska last summer, many nights where we stopped for one night, we kept the RV hooked up and only put down the rear bunk. My son would just sleep on the couch.

When Wally-docking since we have the large pit dinette, we put that down plus the couch for a convenient sleeping arrangement.

Having a couch in my opinion at or over 64" is a must. Been kicking tires lately on the next non-hybrid tt under 29', with sleeping for 3 adults, full size couch, higher quality RV, OK counter space and enough storage space has been hard to find. So a hybrid offers the space in a much shorter length. Our 26' hybrid, I would have to a 32' - 34' length to get the same space and storage.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 AM   #6

We're moving into year number four with our Jayco hybrid, and we use it year round. For what it is, we've loved it, and wished we had it when the kids were growing up. We've never had an issue with it being too hot, or too cold in the camper. Admittedly, that really relies on personal tolerance.

The positives:
That same tent-like feel you get in a pop up. Open up the bunk end windows on a cool mountain afternoon .
Our 20' trailer sets up to be 27', without the added weight of a non hybrid.
Takes up less space in storage.
It has most of the amenities of a hard side pull behind (shower, toilet, fridge, microwave, stove, tv, etc.).
Faster set up that a pop up.
Usability in transit, as opposed to a pop up. (pull over, make some lunch, sit on the couch)
Two adult-sized beds.

The negatives:
Canvas is not conducive to muting over-exuberant neighbors, who think that over-sized Marine Corp sticker on the rear window of their lifted four by four exempts them from the constraints of courtesy.
Just like a pop up, breaking camp in the rain means additional maintenance once you get home.

For my wife and I, the hybrid was the perfect camper for that time of our lives. The kids had all been evicted, and we wanted to move up to something that took less prep time than the old pop up we had, since we no longer had the chinese fire drill going on when we pulled up to the lake.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Just like a pop up, breaking camp in the rain means additional maintenance once you get home.
Agreed...

Here in NE. Ohio, our season starts about April 5-10th usually to a local state park as a check list as to what we forgot to re-stock the RV with. The season will end when ever the day time high stays in the 20's usually by Thanksgiving. Most people in our Northern part of the state winter-ize by mid Oct.

With our 2005 Aerolite hybrid and this 2013 Aerolite hybrid we have well over 650 - 700 nights. My wife is a little more pushing to get that "next" RV trailer. I'm perfectly fine with the one we have now. I'll only pull the trigger if it's a higher end 4 season unit.

But to stay in a comfortable towing range that my Tundra can tow and the length and height of trailer that will fit up my driveway, it is limiting what is out there. Have the bunk beds just provides the length being 4' to 8' shorter with a hybrid over a non-hybrid floorplan.

Here is a Highland Ridge Light floorplan we want to look at that could fit the bill to sleep 3 adults and under 27'. It's a triple slide with a rear bed slide. It's a strange floorplan our dealer said they would never carry.

So on our trip to Yellowstone in May we are going to stop at the factory (Elkhart IN.) to check it out. Highland Ridge LT221RQB YouTube video of this floorplan
Old 02-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Agreed...

Here in NE. Ohio, our season starts about April 5-10th usually to a local state park as a check list as to what we forgot to re-stock the RV with. The season will end when ever the day time high stays in the 20's usually by Thanksgiving. Most people in our Northern part of the state winter-ize by mid Oct.

With our 2005 Aerolite hybrid and this 2013 Aerolite hybrid we have well over 650 - 700 nights. My wife is a little more pushing to get that "next" RV trailer. I'm perfectly fine with the one we have now. I'll only pull the trigger if it's a higher end 4 season unit.

But to stay in a comfortable towing range that my Tundra can tow and the length and height of trailer that will fit up my driveway, it is limiting what is out there. Have the bunk beds just provides the length being 4' to 8' shorter with a hybrid over a non-hybrid floorplan.

Here is a Highland Ridge Light floorplan we want to look at that could fit the bill to sleep 3 adults and under 27'. It's a triple slide with a rear bed slide. It's a strange floorplan our dealer said they would never carry.

So on our trip to Yellowstone in May we are going to stop at the factory (Elkhart IN.) to check it out. Highland Ridge LT221RQB YouTube video of this floorplan

Thanks for sharing the video. Really nice set up.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I saw the Highland Ridge Lights at the Cleveland RV show last month, but not this floorplan. They are a "wide body" 102". So I have to take that into question.

There are some hybrids now on the market that have two slides that really open up the inside. One think you have to think about a 2 slide hybrid. You already have the opening from the front and rear bunks, now add two more holes in the side walls of the trailer for 2 slides. So you better design the wall / floor structure to support all this missing wall space holding this trailer together.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnmarie13 View Post
If anyone has time, I would love to know what you think is better and why with the fold out canvas bedding vs the hard exterior.

Looking at a Shasta Oasis 18BH to purchase or a Jayco Ex-port. New to this so I would greatly love some advice and opinions.

Thank you in ADVANCE
We ended up buying a semi-hybrid. We upgraded from a popup, and were looking at a couple of Jayco hybrids when we came across the Jay Feather X213BH. It's hard sided, but with a rear slide king bed. I think it's grouped with the hybrids because with the slide in, the dinette and couch are not usable. Everything else is accessible, so it works even if we had to to an overnight in a lot where we couldn't put out the slide. It gives us a hard sided camper, and with the slide out, it turns an easy towing 24' TT into a nice light (5500 lb max) 29 feet.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

Question about bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Agreed...

Thanks for the link! I'm curious, though... where does the bed go when the slide is pulled in? It doesn't look like there's room for it.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaMartha View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm curious, though... where does the bed go when the slide is pulled in? It doesn't look like there's room for it.

lol, I though the same thing! The mattress seem like it would hit when the slide came in.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The rear bed slides right over the top of that short curb side couch. Without actually seeing it, my wife questions, with the slides closed is there any room to walk into the trailer, frig? specially boondocking at a WalMart and I don't put any slides out, can I reach the back bed, can I open the frig. We will not know till I see one in person.