Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

I did a MAJOR goof!!

Being a new trailer owner and brand new to the camping community, I found out yesterday that the 30 amp shore power plug fit perfectly into my 220 volt receptacle! I heard a "pop" then instantly unplugged it. Ran inside and after the smoke cleared, literally, I then plugged into the 110 volt and began troubleshooting for damage. I noticed all the breakers were tripped but all the fuses looked ok. Outwardly there appeared to be no other damage but I am NOT an electrician. I reset the breakers and I have power to the fridge, microwave, and water pump but I have no interior lights. It just couldn't be as simple as blown light bulbs, could it? Please help. What did I break? I did learn a very valuable lesson so please, no chastising. Thanks. What does a new converter run? Is there something I can check before the electrician gets here?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Sorry I can't give you a direct answer but at least it sounds like your major items survived.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time for the RV shop.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You may have fuses on the converter.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If the only 12v item not working is your lights, then I would suspect a fuse that you have over looked. The best way to check a fuse is with a multimeter set on ohms (resistance). If you probe the two very small contacts on top of each fuse, the meter should read "1".

Sometimes fuses are not always located in one place....you may need to look else where.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Even if the converter was damaged or a fuse for it blew you should still have 12 volts to your lights. Since your water pump still works you are getting 12 volts to it. Most likely the fuse for your lights blew.

Didn't see Ron's post before mine.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

You could have a blown fuse, that is not in an obvious place, as stated by others. If you have a multimeter see if you have voltage in your lamp sockets. If you don't have one, replace the bulb and see if that makes a difference
Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If you have a hybrid, you should have a 12 volt outlet, usually by the TV antenna plug. Also on a hybrid you should have the 12 volt plugs there too. This way you can at least see you are getting 12 volts somewhere.

Pull off the lens cover for one of your overhead 12 volt lights to see if the actual bulbs blew. When they blow they usually turn black. If the lights were not actually turned on from your boo-boo the bulbs should be good.

In the fuse panel is there any indication of "melting"?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Thank you all for your responses. To Superslif, no, no obvious evidence of melted wires or any burn marks anywhere. That certainly doesn't mean there isn't any, just means I couldn't see any!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

To answer one of your questions the converter could go from 250.00 on up, you probably need to find it and see if it has some reset type buttons that may be causing your problems. The smoke clearing comment does not bode well for no major damage. In essence the converter is changing 120 volt AC power to 12volt DC power. You may have fried the converter hence the smoke, it would not affect the 120 volt AC breakers as the 220 volt caused them to kick as they should.

On good side the converter is pretty simple to change out if you have to replace it. Usually under the seat of dinette or under couch.

Best of Luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Unplug the shore power cord to see if the 12 volt water pump will work from the battery. You need to establish that any 12 volt or no 12 volt power is being converted from the power converter.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote