Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
No, we don't filter our water if we fill the fresh water tank at the campground as we use mostly state parks. If we have full service we will use a water pressure regulator. For cooking and drinking we'll have a gallon or two of store bought water.

Only one time at a state park in SE Ohio after filling the fresh water tank, we realized the water was funny looking. The state park staff said the water was tested as being safe, but they (The state Of Ohio) knew they had a problem with its appearance.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #16

We use one of those blue inline filter at the campground faucet and then use a Brita Pitcher for all drinking water which works for both campground water and water tank water. There are more eloborate systems but these make us feel better about the water we drink.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We run two filters on all water to the RV. First is a particulate filter with a wound filament element and second is a carbon element.

It is amazing at how dirty the first filter gets in short order.

Ken
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
'Screen washers' in both hose and inlet. Water filter pitcher inside.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #19

Conquest102 said "Our favorite CG has the RUSTIEST water ever leaves a stain in the toilet the sink"
Rust!..... Yuck!!!!!! I just got a filter today. It seems that the more I dig into a situation another one or two comes up. 1. Need to regulate the water 2. Surge regulator for electric. Thank you all for the great reply's. JD
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #20

I've spent the last 3 winters in Georgia and Florida and have never filtered the water. I use my washer/dryer and take showers but drink bottled water. I have no idea why people filter water if they don't drink it?

Just my TCW

Mike
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
I've spent the last 3 winters in Georgia and Florida and have never filtered the water. I use my washer/dryer and take showers but drink bottled water. I have no idea why people filter water if they don't drink it?

Just my TCW

Mike
I use a particulate filter to keep sand and other crap out of my water system. Bad for the pump, valves, seals, etc. I drink bottled water.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I use a particulate filter to keep sand and other crap out of my water system. Bad for the pump, valves, seals, etc. I drink bottled water.
I agree, with the exception that we drink, cook, and make coffee from the spigot that has the under counter filter. If the water that comes out of any faucet is still suspect (even with the 2 filters) then I would either get bottled water or find a new campground.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
As with many things I feel it is better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. We wilderness camped for many years and relied on a General Ecology First need filter to get rid of the nasties. I currently use a ceramic carbon first filter, and a GE filter for times when I am pulling water from a lake or stream.
The one real convincing argument is that the ceramic filter is cleanable, and needs to be.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #24

Thanks for all of the inputs, it is great to get useful information from all of you kind people. I just got back from a camping trip & used a carbon filter for all water except drinking. I'm curious on what the carbon filter users do when they are back home from a trip, do you empty the water out of housing & let the filter dry out in the sun as I just did or do you just leave the water in & use it next time? I'm starting to think on getting a ceramic filter as mentioned above, it is cleanable. Thanks again, JD
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #25

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I empty the housing and air dry the filters. Once the are completely dry I place the filters in a plastic tub and screw the housing together loosely until the next use.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #26

Thanks Chickenman, that's what I did. Before your reply I really wasn't sure, but it just made since to me to do that. Thanks again, JD.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #27

I prefer to filter the water at the post and not in my body!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
I was in the process of reviewing water filters. Quite frankly the myths and just plain falsehoods are astonishing. If you are going to filter you should do it right or why bother.
Water Treatments
Water Filter System Comparison Britta by the way gets a D rating and only takes out chlorine and Mercury tastes better but...
Bottled water may or may not be better Bottled Water 2011: Home | Environmental Working Group

Tags
water