Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #1

Is the use of a water filter required for water hookup.

Is it required to use a filter for all water coming in. Is it really that important? Does most people use a filter? Thanks, JD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess it is a question of do you want to trust every campground to have good clean potable water. Some campgrounds use well water and may have an odor problem or perhaps has a system that has been contaminated. I have 2 filters. One that filters all the water from the campground spigot and the other under the sink to filter the drinking water. Each filter has a little different characteristic. I also use a surge protector to protect my coachs electrical system from electric anomalies associated with campground electrical systems

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Some think it is required and some do not. You have cheap do nothing filters and some
good ones but most are over rated as to what they will do for you.
I use a filter when I do not know anything about the water I am getting and I disinfect
the system every couple of weeks if in use.

Art
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Required?? No, not legally anywhere that I've ever been.

Highly recommended?? Yes.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

It sure can't hurt. As mentioned above we filter all water coming from the campground supply. Water for drinking and ice twice. A relatively cheap (considering) surge regulator for electric is worth having.
Remember to install a water pressure protector while you are at it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you ever seen the Fire department turn on a fire hydrant? What they are doing is flushing the water system to get out all of the sediment & etc. in the lines.
Now on the same note, have you ever seen park personell flushing out their lines ?
In all my years of camping I have never seen nor heard of them doing that. So, for what it's worth, I do have and use a large sediment filter and a charcoal filter for all incoming water to the motor home.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #7

For a good information on the various types and use of filters try http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. (I have no affiliation with them, though I do purchase product from them). The wife is very picky on her water for drinking and I want to minimize any plumbing problems. So we have a sediment and charcoal filter on all incoming water including the fresh water fill (at least from city water inlet). Then we have an additional ceramic filter for the drinking water.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

That was funny RustJC. I need to proof read my post, I did not mean required, ha ha. I never thought of drinking the water in any trailer. I have a reverse osmosis system at home & fill 10 gallons in two special portable water containers for the week, I'm thinking on adding another 5 gallons. I was wondering on what city water would do to the plumbing & if there was any warnings from the manufacturer of problems not using a filter. Now thinking about it the water heater tank would most likely be a sensitive item that would require filtered water, because of destroying the anode rod quicker or possibly the heater tank itself. I bet a shower feels much better with filtered water, I will pick a filter up before I go. Thanks, JD
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiansnpvp View Post
Is it required to use a filter for all water coming in. Is it really that important? Does most people use a filter? Thanks, JD
I filter and regulate the water coming into my coach, and use bottled water for drinking/cooking.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I filter and regulate the water coming into my coach, and use bottled water for drinking/cooking.
Me too.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

X2, and I use a simple charcoal filter just before the water enters the rig. Sometimes I drink the city water and can't tell the difference between it and the bottled type. The filter takes the hose-taste away.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our favorite CG has the RUSTIEST water ever leaves a stain in the toilet the sink . Filter is a MUST with pressure control also.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #13

filtered water

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiansnpvp View Post
We have a outside water filter at the tap with a pressure regulator at the same place (this keeps the pressure down on the hose itself). I also have an elbow (90') at the inlet on the trailer so the pull/weight of the hose does not affect the intake. We also had the dealer install an under counter filter with its own tap beside the faucet in the kitchen. We also got the dealer to install a surge protector in the trailer to protect our investment. We are quite happy with all of the other upgrades that we did. Just our 2 cents worth. Cheerio
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #14

We use a particle filter to take out the large chunks of iron and the sand. DW uses a Brita filter on a pitcher for drinking water. I drink whatever is coming from the tap.

Tags
water