Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Jayco SLX 184BH

Just bought my first Camper. Went with a light weight 2015 Jayco SLX 184BH and am very excited to start using it. Does anyone here have any experience with these models? Any recommendations are welcomed. I am currently seeking input as to what size generator to buy and also how she will tow behind my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 35" tires and 4.88 gears. Thank you again.

Adam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

not a big fan of Jeep Wranglers as a full height TT tower.

as far as generator, you need to state what you want to run with it.
if a/c, how many btus is it?
microwave, recharge battery, run cpap?

if you plan on using in a campground, get an inverter generator. they cost more because they're quieter than open-frame generators.

if you plan on boondocking with it, such as desert or other undeveloped areas, you wouldn't need an inverter generator and could use any open-framed contractor type generator.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Sorry, my A/C is an 8,000 BTU I believe. I rented a Honda EU2000 this weekend and it handled everything else just fine, didn't push my luck as it was a rental, but I didn't try the A/C off of it either. I mainly want to know if id be fine with a non inverted generator and will not melt or blow up my camper. Figure people have used the old style for long enough that I should be fine, but don't know and wanted to see if anyone out there had any personal experience one way or another. The jeep towed pretty well considering. Thanks again.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

YoYo, how do you like the trailer so far. We are considering helping our kids buy one, as they have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma to use as a tow vehicle. Is there plenty of room for sleeping, and general use. Have you used the AC at all yet.

As for the generator you will most likely need something in the 4000 watt range to operate the AC. But if all you are doing is lights and fans ect the 2000 watt generator will be fine. We used that one on our Lance Camper and it worked fine for general use and keeping the batteries charged.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

So far, I love it. Tows really easy behind my jeep. Roomy and comfortable. Kids loved it and even my wife, who says she prefers tent camping is sold on it. I like the extra length just because it feels a little roomier with us all in it. I did not try the AC during camping yet, but everything else works as advertised. We rented a Honda EU2000 and it ran everything minus the AC just fine. I think it is a win for our family and am looking forward to getting tons of use out of it. Hope that helps.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
YoYo, how do you like the trailer so far. We are considering helping our kids buy one, as they have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma to use as a tow vehicle. Is there plenty of room for sleeping, and general use. Have you used the AC at all yet.

As for the generator you will most likely need something in the 4000 watt range to operate the AC. But if all you are doing is lights and fans ect the 2000 watt generator will be fine. We used that one on our Lance Camper and it worked fine for general use and keeping the batteries charged.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

Thanks Adam, we really liked it when we looked at it and it should be easy for them to tow.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a similar Shasta and have had one maiden voyage. Love these 18ft models - this was a step up from our previous 14 ft.
We use the basic lightweight Durostar 3000 series generator. It isn't much more noisy than the Honda etc. versions. It can be easily lifted or moved.
It runs all but the air conditioner when boondocking, but that is a personal preference as our sites are usually shady.
We use it to top off the batteries when boondocking and not to run things, so two hours tops a day when camping is all we need.
But, we use it at home during power outages. It has run for up to five days with downtime for refilling. It powers the fridge, upright freezer, and an extension cord we use to charge USB charging items like phones and lights.
Did not start one time, and that was the extended freeze this winter from a cold start in minus zero weather.

Tags
jayco