Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just getting started

New to all of this. Purchased 2005 Cub about a month ago. It has been a real learning experince but has been fun so far. This weekend will be my last outing before the snow flies. Have read several helpful post from other Cub owners. Thanks
cubbycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club

We will be going out this coming weekend and then 4-5 days the following weekend (Halloween Campout weekend....) It's been a rainy Sept, but the next week looks great...just in time for the fall colors...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That Halloween Campout looks like some fun....Hope you have a great time.
cubbycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

Superslif,

Your halloween pics are amazing and your display is fantastic!

We live out west in the rocky mountains and October is pretty hit or miss here; 80's last weekend, winter storm watch tomorrow. So, I'd love to do something like your display if we get another nice weekend before the snow flies in earnest.

I searched for your trip from last year and see you make a lot of things yourself which is just awesome. What do you make your headstones out of? If you don't mind sharing some of your secrets, I'd love to hear more about your materials, how you power your display, etc.

Thanks and I hope to see more pics from your trip this year!
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I work in a large warehouse where we get all kinds of corrugated cardboard in. From 1/4" up to 6" thick. Most of my head stones are made of some very strong 3/4" and some 3". I'll cut them out. Use a glue gun to fill in the sides. Paint the background any gray, black or speckled paint I find at yard sales. I especially like paint called "stone". Then my wife will paint on the Halloween epitaphs. Some I thought of, some my wife, some a fellow jokester at work and others on Halloween websites. We will paint it with "black light" paint. After it drys I'll put a few coats of clear paint over everything. Under each headstone I'll drill two 6" holes up into the gravestone and hot glue 1/4" thick by 12" bamboo sticks into them. So 6" is into the gravestone and to set up I'll drive with a 1/4" thick steel rod two holes in the ground to slip the gravestone in with the remaining 6".

Then I'll hide about 10 florescent (18" to 36" long) black lights behind the fence I make or hide them behind other gravestones behind trees. I try to make it so a person cannot see the blacklights, so the gravestones really pop. It make it look like they are back lite or just glowing. I'll even paint the straw and leaves I place in front of each grave.

My last effect is the best.....It's hard to explain....At a garage a few year back I picked up this thing called "Lighting FX" What ever you plug into it will correspond to the spooky CD they give you. So what I do is I put 3 lamps into my RV trailer windows on that side. I put the CD into a remote cd player, I set my 2 JVC speakers under my trailer and the FX thing in front of one of the speakers. So if it is playing a lighting and thunder track, the lights in my trailer windows will react to each sound. Another track is squicky doors and loud footsteps...There is a sensitivity dial on the FX to adjust the effect. You can stand on the campground road and clap your hands and the trailer lights I had put in the window will react to each clap. Here is a Youtube of someones display using the . I think new it was only $25...I got it for $5 brand new....

Or this one
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #6

Wow! That is just fantastic.

Thanks for taking the time to share your secrets. I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure if we'll be able to do any more camping this year. Wolf Creek pass got 3 feet of snow yesterday. They're actually opening the ski area this weekend. Absolutely crazy.

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for the foothills west of Denver for up to 6" tomorrow. The continental divide and Vail pass could see up to 10".

We're excited for ski season because this is shaping up to be another La Nina year, but we were also hoping to get back out for one last camping trip before Halloween.

We'll see.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't want to tease ya, but I'm sitting in my lounge chair in shorts / 80 degrees out playing with my iPhone. One of the best fall camping weekends in a while. Even saw a few people tubing in the river here at Mohican State Park, here in North Central Ohio. The leaves are very close to peak. Last weekend (we stayed home) was rainy, where the Mtn. of WV. (Snowshoe Ski Resort) received 6" to 8" of snow.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #8

Wow! Tubing? That is amazing.

Thanks for the tease. We ended up getting 6" here at the house. The last three nights have been in the 20's too. Looks like we're going to warm up this week. So, we're thinking a short trip up to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park will be fun later this week.

Keep enjoying what's left of the good fall weather!