Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

leaks with tent ends?

So the wife and I love camping! We have been tent camping for about 3 years and every time we go it rains. So we are looking at a TT, we really like the hybrids. But we have one big question do the tent ends leak? When raining if you touch the fabric will it be wet? We really like the hydrids because the are so roomy and have lots of sleeping space. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Had our 05' now in it's 7th season (380 nights camped)....The top of our bunk ends and sides are a vinyl like material called (Cavlar 2000) which is over the canvas layer. Never had any leaks. In the cool season when your running the heater, you will get condensation on the inside of the bunk ceiling. I will make it a point to wipe off the bunk ends before it gets closed up. Also where the seams / stitching is on the outside, I will make sure any dirty or tree debris is wiped clean.

We also tent camped for 10 years before we moved up to a pop-up, and then a hybrid. If you can afford to skip the pop-up step, get a hybrid....just so much more storage room.

I actually don't mind when it rains. I lay on the couch and read or watch TV.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Red face

We have a Shamrock hybrid and it's never rained inside !!

It's not really canvas, more more like vinyl, similar to a heavy plastic tablecloth: outside is vinyl, inside is weaved fabric.

We love it - yes it will be noisier than a standard TT but then we only camp in quiet provincial parks, surrounded by trees.

I say it's like sleeping on a cloud in the forest.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

I have a coachman hybrid, it will get condensation but venting the moist air out by leaving roof vents open or a dehumidifier should take care of most of it....it does not really bother me....i like the feeling of sleeping outside
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

We have weathered many bad storms in our Coachmen hybrid with no water problems.
One thing to consider: You are much more a part of the weather when in the hybrid bunk, much like a tent.
Be careful with the awning! One night an unexpected storm came up in the middle of the night. We had the awning out and a wind gust broke the awning hardware, the awning flew over the top of the camper. The broken awning pole stabbed through the bunk end my two girls were sleeping in. A very scary moment! We now always roll up the awning at night.
trevstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Be careful with the awning! One night an unexpected storm came up in the middle of the night. We had the awning out and a wind gust broke the awning hardware, the awning flew over the top of the camper. The broken awning pole stabbed through the bunk end my two girls were sleeping in. A very scary moment! We now always roll up the awning at night.
If I know there is a chance of any bad weather, I'll use those spiral awning stabilizers. I'll also make sure one side of the awning is tilted down to drain any rain water that might collect. Even in gravel I'm able to screw in the stabilizers.

During the cooler season when your running a heater, you will get moister in the bunk ends. Just got to wipe them down before packing up.

Were presently selling ours, and looking to buy the same brand hybrid....We have been very happy with the 7 years of use with about 340-350 nights in those 7 seasons....I think with a hybrid you get the most bang for your $$$ and get the most storage and square footage.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #7

I used the screw down stakes from Walmart for my awning also. I have a Thermos Fire and ICE grill 2 go for my gas grill and it's awesome. Cooler on bottom and grill on top and love it.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8omt
I used the screw down stakes from Walmart for my awning also. I have a Thermos Fire and ICE grill 2 go for my gas grill and it's awesome. Cooler on bottom and grill on top and love it.
Hit send before I finished typing lol, my only prop with my hybrid is after a while the snaps on mine break and I have to replace a few a year but no water other then like what everyone else has with heat on and the drops inside every once in a while
Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaltapls1 View Post
So the wife and I love camping! We have been tent camping for about 3 years and every time we go it rains. So we are looking at a TT, we really like the hybrids. But we have one big question do the tent ends leak? When raining if you touch the fabric will it be wet? We really like the hydrids because the are so roomy and have lots of sleeping space. So any help would be greatly appreciated
hybrids have vinylized canvas. they are pretty waterproof.
but if you don't use PopupGizmos or solar blankets and don't allow air to move inside, you'll get condensation.
that's when water forms on the inside of the canvas and will drip.
other than that, you can't touch the fabric and draw water through it. that's what plain canvas does or tent fabric.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
We've weathered a few decent storms in our former popup, and never had an issue with leaking. Touching the tenting has no effect on water intrusion (I remember the days as a kid with a cheap tent having problems such as you are concerned about).

We were also fortunate (?) to have a pretty good downpour on the innaugural trip with our new hybrid. No true leaking (although the stitched seems wept a bit as they were "seasoning"), and we stayed dry and comfortable. Lightning and thunder is a little more obvious when you are under tenting as compared to hard walls, but not that big of a deal.

We experienced a little bit of condensation on the tenting interior when we were in Texas (we weren't using PUGs or other like covers), and I attributed it to the higher humidity than we're used to (we are normally in AZ).
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
During high usage of AC in the summer or a heater in the spring and fall we will wipe down the inside bunk ends with one of our old bath towels before packing her up. I notice more condensation more from the fall camping we do....no big deal...Even in lower 30 degree nights I sleep on the outer side of one of the bunks and feel warm in our beds.

Tags
leaks