Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Light weight with a slide?

Hi all,
I am looking for advice on Light Weight TT with a slide, maybe? My main tow vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Frontier, crew cab with 4.0 V6/Auto tranny, 4x4. From what I have read, it should have around 6300 lb tow rating. I prefer to stay in the 3-4k range for the RV. We are in our late 40's-early 50's and own an a Vintage/Antique store. So this TT will be used for out of town trips shopping for goodies. I want something that is easy to pull, easy to stop, I do not want to even approach the capacity of my tow vehicle and tent trailers are out, been there, done that. I want a TT that is a fast load and hook up, get to location, unhook, drop stabilizers and go shop. I want big bed and big bathroom....we are not Ken and Barbi.., small dinette,stove..microwave a must. I am located in Texas, but will travel for the right trailer if not available in Texas.
For the record cuz I hate this part of an RV website. I am well versed in towing. I have many years experience in over the road trucking, I also own cattle and equipment trailers from 16-40', I understand matching trailer to tow vehicle and being able to stop it.....sorry had to get that out the way. I really would like sound advice and ideas on the camper to fit our needs. Its been awhile since I have been on the RV hunt. Thank you
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

I would look for one of the enclosed trailers that has living quarters in the front and a fold-down ramp in the back for toys. Getting furniture into the rig will definitely determine what kind of trailer you can get. Most passenger doors won't allow big furniture to be loaded.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

Haven't been inside one, but this floorplan looks like it might be a possibility, and the GVWR about 3800 lbs.

Jayco Hummingbird 17RB
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

We just purchased a 2010 Heartland Edge
3100 pounds
our slide holds a sofa (converts to bed) and there is a coffee table for it - or us that works as a dinette
two burner stove, no oven, two sinks, micro, good size fridge
queen bed
bunk over bed which we use for storage
bathroom I would say average not large but might be ok

we also looked at a mini light (or micro light) by forest river
it had the kitchen on the slide out which worried me a little more - lots of working parts moving but might just be rookie worries
and a dinette with which converted to a bed and a bunk over it

have fun shopping!
shannonkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

I have not found a toy hauler that is small, with the big bed/ bathroom. I think if we buy furniture, i can haul in truck bed at this point. I just have not found the right TH for us...open to mfg suggestions though. I like the jayco 17b and i will research the other. Thx again for any and all suggestions
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
All depends on what your willing to pay. You can get a entry level tt for $10 - $11k (16' -17' no slide) mid to high $teens for the middle of the road 18' - 24' length some with a small slide. Or mid-$20's for a double slide unit in the 22' to 25'. Or a Winnebago trailer in the upper $20's and so forth. I agree, a slide really opens up any floorplan.

So you need a "couples" RV trailer:

~What comes to mind is the Winnebago Micro Mini 2106FBS 22' 3700 dry only down side is the smallish fresh water tank at 31 gallons.

~
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

If you want quality, look at Lance or the new tiny Airstream looks really nice.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Oh geez...I can only dream of owning an airstream right now unless I get a really old one. I was drooling over one at a local RV show last week.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

I own a hybrid camper that is rated 3500 lbs dry wgt.

I towed it with a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab manual transmission.

It do 'OK'. But my transmission could not really handle backing it up. Burnt out one transmission and started on the next.

Even though I had only owned the Frontier one year, I traded up to a Titan. MUCH BETTER.

All of that said, your frontier is capable of towing a 3500 camper, esp if it is in flat country. I think you would be at max for weight BEFORE you went shopping.

You have to consider the weight capcity of frontier with fuel, passengers, tongue weight of trailer, weight of weight distribution hitch, truck cap, etc.

We absolutely LOVED our Frontier. I have been a Nissan person exclusively since 1983. But the little guy was just not up to the challange of towing our camper.

I will note - We now LOVE the Titan.
cmcdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

As usual with smaller vehicles, you will reach your tow vehicle payload limit before you get to the towing limit. For most small trucks, the trailer tongue weight plus passengers is all it takes to be fully loaded. Aside from that, I can't offer anything that hasn't already been said. The Hummingbird would probably be as good a possibility as any you will find.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #11

Y'all Are Making Me Feel Nervous

Hi,

I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 and tow a 2015 KZ Spree Escape E204S. I'm looking for something bigger. Most all trailers I like are 5400 lb area. I struggle with getting the KZ up hills and it's about 3300 lbs or so I think. I can tow 6100 lbs according to the truck manual and Nissan per phone call. But I want more because that trailer has no oven, outside shower for my dog (And I'm afraid to wash her in the trailer because of all her shedding. She's a Bassett Hound), no two sides to the sink and small restroom. I've always wondered how I would know if I tore up the truck while pulling a trailer. I pray pray pray it never happens because I'm not sure I would know what to do and it's just me, lil man and Abbey the Bassett. So, I'm happy someone is talking about a similar Nissan. I have thought about upgrading the truck but then I will have to pay more money for that gas tank and I think if I can stay small on a trailer, my payments will be small which if I can't use the trailer as much as I want is a good thing. But I want a trailer for winter as well just in case I'm in it for cold months. It's all scary! We also have a small 4 wheeler but I believe a toy hauler would be bad for winter and never work with a Nissan.
Gina
Gina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Check out these lightweight campers. I saw one the other day and they appear to be quality made as well as light weight.

Retro Lightweight Travel Trailers | Riverside RV

CAUTION - I have pulled a 3500 lb (dry weight) camper with a Nissan Frontier and trust me the Frontier struggled. Forget that Nissan says it can pull more.

I am totally a Nissan LOVER and I did LOVE my Frontier. But, it was just not up to the challenge. Even though I had only owned the Frontier for a year, I knew I had to get more vehicle to tow my camper.

I moved up to a Titan and absolutely love it. It rides and drives like a Cadillac and I get around 12 MPG towing.

NOTE: If all you want to do is tow a camper back and forth to a local campground - you could do it with the Frontier. But if you want to tow any distance with the Frontier - stay with a light weight camper around 3000 or below.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #13

[QUOTE=cmcdar;3417166]Check out these lightweight campers. I saw one the other day and they appear to be quality made as well as light weight.

Retro Lightweight Travel Trailers | Riverside RV

CAUTION - I have pulled a 3500 lb (dry weight) camper with a Nissan Frontier and trust me the Frontier struggled. Forget that Nissan says it can pull more.

I am totally a Nissan LOVER and I did LOVE my Frontier. But, it was just not up to the challenge. Even though I had only owned the Frontier for a year, I knew I had to get more vehicle to tow my camper.

I moved up to a Titan and absolutely love it. It rides and drives like a Cadillac and I get around 12 MPG towing.
I will second this answer as I too had a 2014 Frontier PRO4X Crewcab and traded up to a 2017 Titan PRO4X Crewcab. All the difference in towing, driving, and riding. The Frontier is a great truck, I have had four (4) over the years but when it comes to pulling a heavy load, such as a Big Boat or Travel Trailer it just doesn't do it very well, especially in the Mountains.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #14

Jayco hummingbird
copwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, slide, weight