Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Tv is a Chevy 1500 Crew Z71 5.3/3.73
Max tow 7,500 GCWR 13,000
Max tow times 80% = 6000
TT that I'm looking at has a sticker weight of 3350
Add 1200 to that for ready to camp weight to get 4550 and that leaves me with 1450 buffer
Plan on going all over the country east to west
north to south.
Any thoughts?
jay31ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Tv is a Chevy 1500 Crew Z71 5.3/3.73
Max tow 7,500 GCWR 13,000
Max tow times 80% = 6000
TT that I'm looking at has a sticker weight of 3350
Add 1200 to that for ready to camp weight to get 4550 and that leaves me with 1450 buffer
Plan on going all over the country east to west
north to south.
Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #3

You should be fine with that much of a buffer, though I'm betting that the trailer that your looking at reall weighs more than that. Mine was about 900lbs heavier than the listed weight. Apparently MFG weight doesn't inlude things like the airconditioner, awening, batteries, propane tanks, water in water heater, etc. That all adds up pretty quick!

The only problem I could see with your truck though may be going through the mountains. You might find that it'll go up and down the mountain, but more power and brakes would be nice.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bingo, most TT mfgs list only the stock wt - awnings, ac, etc are usually add ons that can easily add up to several hundred lbs. Also not included are the batteries, LPG tanks and LPG. which can also add nearly 100 lbs depending on their size.

You might try looking at the GVWR of the TT as well as the GVWR of your truck. Add them together and see if it is less than the CGWR of your truck. If it is then you should be OK. However, what you might also find is that MFGs tend to use one set of axles on all rigs up to a certain size and then switch to higher rated axles. The result can be small TTs with huge payloads and as you approach the upper end of the models you have less payload to work with. Your TV has a CGWR of 13,000lbs and probably has a GVWR of 7,000 or so so your TT should have a GVWR of 6,000 lbs or less. There are probably lots of lightweight TTs out there that will fit this bill.

Also remember that the tow ratings are figured by taking the curb wt of the truck + a 150lb driver and subtracting that from the CGWR. This means that your 7500lbs of towing does not include anything other than the driver in the truck.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Randy is right o.

The "dry weight" or UVW is exactly that...the base trailer and nothing that is listed as an option such as Awning, A/C, microwave, batteries and certainly not propane and water. Add all of your camping gear and such and it is not uncommon to weigh 1000# over the UVW.

The same for trucks. To MAXIMIZE the apparent towing capability of a vehicle, the manufactures use the lightest weight possible which is a base model, no options, no hitch, a 150# driver and minimal fuel. For this reason, you need to weigh the vehicle, with a hitch, full fuel and normal passenger cargo and work from the GVWR and GCWR of the vehicle.

It all goes back to the macho thing..."My xxxxxx is bigger than yours!"

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for your replies. From this forum and others it appears that my next step is to add some traveling weight to my TV and go over to the scales. I'll get it weighed and go from there.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #7

Weighing the pickup as it would be ready to camp is the absolute smart thing to do!

Pickups often weigh more than their listed dry weight, too, and the little tools and other stuff add up too.

When you look at the trailer, if they will let you run it over to a scale full of propane and water before you buy, then you would have a much better idea of exactly what your total weight would be.

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you are well on your way to making sure your RVing will be safe and enjoyable.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote