Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #15

dog lover, seeing now that you're looking at a Livin Lite trailer, i really don't know how to advise you.

Livin Lite is a niche brand that very few dealers will carry. they are very expensive for what you get and only appeal to a limited amount of people.

so, you will have a very difficult time finding a good dealer.
there's a Livin Lite Facebook page that you may want to visit and ask other owners about a good dealer.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #16

I visit other discussion groups. I can also ask there. It seems irv2 has more members, and also more who are wanting to be of help to other campers.
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As far as getting a good price. You have one advantage, that being you don't have a trade (right?) and if you did your not under-water like most people. If you see something, it costs you "$0" to ask for a price.

Back in the summer of 2011, I believe June, the new floorplan just came out as a 2012. The price we got in June was crap. Doing more research, I found out come Sept. they were going to completely change / update the exterior from white on white trim to Light gray with black trim and upgrade the windows to "frameless" style. Much more modern look. So it was not till after the RV show in Jan of 2012 I Googled the trailer I wanted ( Aerolite #232E) for a much better price. And then we took delivery of a 2013 in March of 2012
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #18

I have been looking at websites for several dealers. Some list sale prices that are as much as $9,000 less than MSRP. These dealers are definitely worth a look. However, with such a discount, will they be able to handle any problems that arise upon delivery?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have been looking at websites for several dealers. Some list sale prices that are as much as $9,000 less than MSRP. These dealers are definitely worth a look. However, with such a discount, will they be able to handle any problems that arise upon delivery?
It's hard to deal off internet prices because what one dealer is selling maybe not the same tt but with different options. I always get an "Out The Door Price". I'll write you one check.

The dealer I bought from was 2-1/2 hours away. I made sure all systems were working before I signed final paperwork. I even had them fill the fresh water tank to pressurize the waterlines to check for leaks. I think I had them take care of 3 things. Took about 30 minutes...

As in all new RV's you are going to have a punchlist of things to take care of the first year under warranty. Unless it is a major item like the frig not working or a major leak you can't fix yourself, I'll wait till the end of my camping season which is Thanksgiving weekend for me and then take it in for any warranty stuff. When my near by dealer found out I bought it somewhere else, the owner stated " Don't bother bringing it here for any warranty work " I understand in the spring and summer they are going to deal with their customers first. Sure enough, come fall I called and they were more than happy to do my 6-7 warranty items in Dec.

Did the same with my new Tundra which did include a trade (05' 4Runner). In the past my local Toyota dealer two blocks away would never deal on SUV's or trucks. I was 95% sure the "Out the door price" I received across town was not going to be beat. So just for the heck of it I had my wife call the local dealer and say. Hey, Peter I think Jim is just about to sign for a new Tundra at a out of town dealer, I really want to buy from you since you sold me my last two Coralla's" Two minutes later I got a call from the salesman who wanted to see my trade again. Three managers were now looking it over. He came back and said what will it take to get your business? I wrote a price on a piece of paper that was $200 less than the other dealer. Really didn't thing they would come down $2500 more he had quoted me a week ago. But he did....I was kind of shocked....
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #20

Confirms my thoughts that the time of year can affect the willingness of the dealer to give discounts. Well, we are going to do diligent research for both the tv and tt, and not be pressured to sign anything on the day of our visit.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #21

i agree about time of the year for discounts.
we found that many dealers in cold winter areas, discounted inventory in the fall. after the summer season and before the winter because they know that sales will be way down and they don't want to have to maintain all the inventory during the harsh winter.
plus the new year models will start coming in at the end of winter.

we bought a new 2007 hybrid in October 2006, from a dealer in Chicago that they had drastically reduced.
they started getting 2008 models the following March.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Need advice on how to choose a dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
since you live in the Midwest, you are in the best area for prices.
i drove all the way to Chicago, from California, to get my hybrid from House of Camping. a great family dealership.
also, you're near RVWholesalers in Lakeview, Ohio.

both offer great support and have some of the best prices on the Roo hybrid line. find a floorplan you like and get quotes from both.

We also drove across the country (from Arizona) to buy our Roo 233S from George at House of Camping. He sent us the spec sheet and ordered one exactly how we wanted it. His price was comparable to the best we could find, and the ease of working with him made it a great experience.

If he sold Northwood products (current: Arctic Fox), we would have driven there to purchase from him again!

Happy Hunting!

2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes the time of year will affect the price discounts the dealer may give but there will also be less selection on the lot.

If you wait until fall you may get a better deal but depending where your dealer is would you consider pulling your purchase home on icy roads. Especially if you have to order a unit that is delivered in Jan or Feb.

Service is the big thing. I am not aware of anyone without a punch list. Some are small but most seem to have more than a few items. So can the dealer fix the unit he sold you or is there good warranty service closer. You don't have to get warranty work where you bought your unit. However I have observed that a lot of dealers service their customers on a priority basis. I have upon occasion used my salesman as an intermediary with the service department.

Sometimes you just have to go out and pay the price. If you wait until they are selling it at fire sale prices you may lose time.

Get in your mind a price you would like to pay. Keep in mind the dealer has to make overhead, wages and have a bit for his family. If you are satisfied that you got a reasonable price you can go away happy and get on with the travel you have worked so hard for.

Remember - hearses don't have trailer hitches to haul your money to the cemetery.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Regarding service:

I've read about service departments putting non-customers at the end of the line and delaying repair, but my experience was different. As stated, we bought from a dealer WELL out of state from where we live. There were, of course, a few warranty issues that needed to be addressed, but our dealer facilitated them without issue. Some of the problems were resolved by Forest River sending me the replacement parts directly (i.e. radio) and I swapped it myself; while others required a service department do the work. The one time I needed to bring it in for warranty repair, I was provided a list of local repair shops and told I could use the one I choose. My unit was accepted and repaired without delay, and all under warranty. I'm guessing a repair is a repair when they are getting reimbursed.

I don't doubt others have had a different experience, but mine was pretty good.

Our recent purchase was from a local dealer, but given the same circumstances when we bought our Roo (a MUCH cheaper price out of state), we would make the drive again. Saving several thousand dollars (AFTER the cost of the trip was added in), made our decision easy. Fortunately you live where you'll have multiple options within a reasonable drive for the best price. Enjoy!

2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Old 05-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #25

May I suggest that you explore different TTs first, then decide on a dealer?
Not all dealers carry every brand.

First-some TTs have an all-metal construction, while others are wood and tin construction. Quality is paramount if you are gong to live in it. I recommend the former.
Second-the floorplan is the most important in my opinion. Find what you like, THEN find a manufacturer/model that is close(est) to what you like. This will dictate your choice of dealers.

A PDI (pre-delivery inspection) list is on most camping forums. Almost all forums I am on have an entire board devoted to pre-purchase questions and dealer reviews.
I sincerely wish I had known about these before we bought our trailer... Sigh.

Have fun shopping, and remember, used car salesmen don't trust most RV salesmen! (joking)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many, many issues when trying to determine a quality service facility. Do keep this fact in mind. In the automotive world when vehicles started going towards computers in the last 70's somebody decided that mechanics should be called technicians and there should be some sort of licensing body to in a small way measure the technicians ability. That's when ASE was born. There are 8 areas of ASE certification. I taught 5 of the ASE areas at the HS level and was required by our state to be certified in those areas. I did not have to teach Air conditioning, automatic transmission and engine repair. Back in the 70-80's we did teach engine repair but dropped that for Alignment. Today's engines being mostly aluminum have become very specialized.

I was certified in 6 of the 8 areas and believe me the tests were difficult. I also would go to the Ford dealer and would log in to their off-sight training seminars during the summer for extra credit. Today there are many ways of learning this stuff and it does take extra time to want to do the training. Most good technicians study almost every night. I know I had to if I wanted to stay even close to the top of my game.

RVIA or the Recretional Vehical Industry Association does have a technician certification process. From what I have heard there are about 3,000 RVIA certified technicians in the country. For a dealer to try to follow these certification guidelines will take some extra commitment, money and concern on the part of the dealer. If a dealer does not want to or have any RVIA certified technicians on staff I would be concerned.

Don't get me wrong. Just because a technician is certified does not mean they are great or perfect etc. It does mean that they are wanting to learn. Most of this type of training takes place in the dealership, on-line or going to off-sight classes. I'm not to familiar with their set-up.

Searching for a good dealer IMHO you should also ask if they ascribe to the RVIA technician certification process of have any certified RVIA technicians.

TeJay
Old 05-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If buying a RV a good distance from home you should think about where you will take it for warranty work. Yes, a near by dealer will service their buyers first. And on any new RV there WILL be things to fix and adjust.

On two of my three RV tt purchases where I didn't purchase locally the items to repair were not major, so I just had the local dealer do them at the end of the season...They were glad for the work....Just have to remember that local dealer may drop that line / brand of RV at any time.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #28

I can't thank you enough for your input. We are reconsidering our original game plan. We have visited 2 dealers and are looking at visiting a 3rd one. My list of questions is growing. I enjoy hearing your war stories. LOL

Tags
advice, dealer