Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Need advice on how to choose a dealer

Hubby and I are shopping for our first RV. He will retire soon, and we plan to be ready!

We think we should find a dealer who can give us a lot of attention at the start since we are so inexperienced. We have decided on a manufacturer, taken a factory tour, and now we should pick out a good dealer. We visited the only dealer in our state who handles this manufacturer. Turns out, the dealer's first business seems to be used cars. The day we visited, there were 2 pop - ups and 2 travel trailers on the lot. There were several - well a lot - of utility trailers and some used cars. I have my doubts.

I could use some advice about how to evaluate a dealer and what questions to ask when I visit the dealer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

You didn't say what type of RV you are looking to buy. However, I would want a dealer that would be able to service whatever type of RV you buy. Someone who deals in pop ups or small TTs is not likely to be of much help if you buy a large diesel pusher and have problems. I would look for a dedicated RV dealer whose sole business is RVs. The manufacturer of your RV should be able to give you some dealers relatively near you. Visit them and talk to the service people. You'll soon figure out what's really important. Good Luck!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

We are looking at maybe a 16-foot or 21 - foot hybrid trailer.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I assume your talking about a new hybrid tt? I too would be highly suspect of a dealer who sells RV's as a side business. And very few at that.

What part of the country are you from? Two years ago when we bought our new hybrid (Aerolite) we traveled 2-1/2 hours to get a much better deal, but the few items we needed done under warranty were performed at my local Aerolite dealer 15 miles away.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #5

We have a house in Indiana, but we have an apartment in Chicago for a temporary job. We will retire to Southern Indiana when my husband retires.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We have a house in Indiana, but we have an apartment in Chicago for a temporary job. We will retire to Southern Indiana when my husband retires.
Interesting, You are not far from where I got a great deal on my hybrid. I drove to Western Ohio (Findlay). I don't believe they sell the Aerolite's anymore, not sure what hybrid's they sell. All I know is the price they quoted me was 50% less than the dealer I was dealing with for 6 months ($19,000 + trade verse $9800 + trade)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #7

since you live in the Midwest, you are in the best area for prices.
i drove all the way to Chicago, from California, to get my hybrid from House of Camping. a great family dealership.
also, you're near RVWholesalers in Lakeview, Ohio.

both offer great support and have some of the best prices on the Roo hybrid line. find a floorplan you like and get quotes from both.

since you don't mention the brand of trailer you're looking at, i don't know other dealers to recommend.
is it a secret? because you talked about deciding on a manufacturer, taking a factory tour and then seeing a dealer, all without mentioning the brand.

you should have no problem getting some of the best prices in the country, in your region.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy used from a private party. The price delta to new and/or dealer is jot worth their support. IMHO
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We think we should find a dealer who can give us a lot of attention at the start since we are so inexperienced
If any dealer that senses you are a newbe, they may take advantage of you. You and only you will have to know if a deal is "good" and if the "after sale" attention will complete the whole purchase process. Say a RV has a MSRP of $23,500 and they say "we got this Special offer just for this weekend" We're taking an extra $1000 off our already low price of $19,999. So is this a good deal? How do you know? Is 19k good, 17k even, yet 15k is far better.

Ours retailed for $26,500 (MSRP) Ended up getting it out the door, tax and everything for $16,300. So basically when my hometown dealer was offering $19,500 plus my trade ($6500) They were selling it for it's MSRP price. I had thought my saleslady knew me better....It was if a had a letter "S" stamped on my forehead for stupid.

For 6 months they really didn't move on the price. She would call me every month or two, but not much movement on the price.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

We are looking at Camplite trailers made by Livin Lite. Wasn't sure about mentioning brands. We are interested in the lack of maintenance for these trailers - just greasing the wheels and buying new tires as the old ones wear out. We hope to travel a lot when my husband retires. Camplites seem to hold up well. Camplite owners say that if problems show up, it is when they take delivery of their new trailers. I think it is a quality control issue, not limited to just the Livin Lite factory.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's some information that has not been shared. Buying your Camper is just the first phase. Determining if they will properly service your unit if needed is the real question.

IMHO !! Since a MH is the only RV that is built on a chassis made by companies that make their living by making a truck chassis the MH is the only one that has a better guarantee on that frame,drive line and engine.

If you do have a frame or suspension issue on TT's there is not as good a chance that it will be resolved without a lot of grief. There are only a few frame companies that are made for the TT end of the RV business. I'm stating this from reading a lot of posts that concern frame/suspension issues that are very difficult to resolve.

Now how do you determine if you can get good service from a dealer? Before you let them know you are really interested in buying try talking to some people who are getting their units serviced. Catch them in the waiting room or parking lot and strike up a conversation with them. If you ask the dealer to give you some references they won't tell you about the bad ones. Try to find out what the wait time is when getting a coach serviced or repaired. Find out if they have a separate shop for body work. It's been my experience that paint and grease don't mix well. Ask if they have a painter. Do they do the body repair or do they send it out?? Good paint and body repairmen are hard to find. If they only do some then the guys probably are not to good. It takes special artistic talent to do that kind of work well and occasional work won't keep a good body/paint guy at a shop.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #12

Great idea -talk to people who are having their campers serviced. And I didn't know about the issues with the frame. Hmmm....

I think I should hire one of you old hands to help me negotiate!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was our experience with our last TT. It was 29' long and had three slides. The unit was very liveable for it's size and was decent on the inside fit and finish. In fact on our maiden voyage on our return to home the TT was broadsided in a Pilot service area (less than 1,500 miles on the unit) and totaled. Nobody was hurt and we liked the TT enough that we ordered another one just like it.

On our next trip in the Spring (with the new TT) we went to FL set up the camper for a month at a CG. I put down the 4 Equalizer-jacks, put two scissor jacks under the center of the frame ahead of the TT axles. Then I installed two support jacks under the long slide. There were 8 support jacks under the frame. The trailer still bounced like a trampoline. I had my wife jump around inside as I looked underneath the unit and noticed that the Equalizer support jacks on each corner were actually flexing as she jumped. Sooo the support jacks were actually not properly supporting the frame.

About a week after we arrived home we began looking for a motor home ( MH ). We will never have another TT. I can list other objections, concerns or faults with a TT but won't unless you really want to know.
Am I an expert in this area??? Not exactly but with 35 years of teaching automotive repair and having owned three TT's and three MH's I can share my experiences, insights, and evaluations.

TeJay
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

There are advantages and problems to consider when going with trailers or motorcoaches.

But to get back to the dealer discussion, I am thinking that the time of year might well affect how much of a discount the dealer will give. Right now, at the beginning of camping season, dealers are less likely to cut a deal. Where we are, we are gathering information. I want to buy the TV before the tt. It will be several months before we are ready to put money down on the trailer.

I do not want to rush into this, no matter how anxious I am to stop staying in hotels and get into camping. We leave tomorrow for a long weekend trip, and I just made hotel reservations for a vacation next month. Money goes much further when camping!

Tags
advice, dealer