Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
need basic advice

I need basic advice. I'm looking for something more comfortable than tent camping that will accomodate 2 people for long weekend camp trips. My husband isn't into camping and wouldn't be of help for set-up, my kids are often busy, so I need a camper I can manage alone; easy hook up and set up, light-weight, etc. (My Toyota will two no more than a total of 3500 lbs.) I'm small built (5' 2 and 105 lbs) and I have endurance, but not much upper body strength. I want something small that is comfortable, would sleep 2 or 3, but that has storage for tents for kids and their friends to join me. I like the idea of a pop up because of the roominess, but I don't know what kind is best, if I can hook them up alone, (please consider that - I can't count on someone always being there to help me). Teardrop? Egg camper? Most appropriate pop up? I would like roof air, and I do need something affordable, perhaps a used model. (Less than 4K.) Thanks ahead; just tired of setting up tents and packing tons of stuff in my van!

birdlistener is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy birdlistener and welcome to the forum. Boy, I sure can't help on a recommendation of a light weight rig but if you post over in Expandibles, Hybrids and Lightweights Discussion I'm sure you'll get some help. Hope you find the rig that fits you so you can enjoy the experience. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Just be careful when deciding on what to get , that you don't catch the same disease that most of us get. I believe the formal name of the disease is " I want a bigger unit syndrome" if your not careful you will contract the disease and it can be very expensive.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
I've seen a lot of people with pop-ups and they seem to like them. Watching them put them up and take them down sure looks like a pia though, especially if only one short person involved. There seem to be a good number of smaller trailors (you mentioned a few) that have bunk bends and slides. May be out of your price range though.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your thread here where you'll get far more views from those equipped to answer your questions.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Triple E Owners Club
We had a pop-up for a couple of years, but I'm not sure that would meet your needs. Take a look at A-Liner products. They are easier to set up IMHO.
2010 Triple-E Regency GT29DBS
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3385 RL
(On Permanent Site in N. Georgia)
JohnJoanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
i would look at popups or something like the R-pods. some have a slideout or a expandable canvas bunk end, like a hybrid.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
I understand the bigger unit syndrome, and I already have it! The comments here have been very helpful. The more microcampers I look at, the more I want to own one and all of the "stuff" that goes with it! First things first.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Thank you folks for the advice for this beginniner. Wildtoad, you said that you had seen people setting up a pop up, and you saw some challenges that might be hard for short people. (My kids jokingly call me "the tiny little gnome".) What challenges did you see with folks setting up the pop up camper? If they had had a crate or short step stool, would it have been mor manageable? I have watched the videos, and they make it look so easy, but of course most are with the intention to sell a product. I have looked at several micro-campers, and of course the ones that appear most interesting to me are those that are more expensive! The R-pod, A-liner and other similar micro-campers or hybrids look appealing.

Does anyone know about the electrical pop up campers? As in, do they often give any trouble? Of course the more complicated the system, the more trouble I might have. I've rethought the Teardrop, because in case I did have people join me, we'd have very little space; they are so tiny! I keep coming back to the idea of a pop up because of the space, convenience of travel, and basic amenities I'd need.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went the tent, pop-up, Classs A route. My little Coleman TAOS pop-up went coast to coast 3 times when my kids were young. Simple, light weight and 1 man (or woman) 10 min job to set-up. Pop-ups have lots of room, an electric ceramic heater is all you need to keep the unit reasonably warm - I never used the AC - I traveled during the day and the big windows all the way around was all I ever needed to stay cool at night. I bought mine used for $2500 and sold it 10 years later for $1000.
I hope this helps.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Being short, the bulk doors on a hybrid might be hard to close up by yourself. My wife does ours, but with the help with our 5' son. My wife is 5' 2"....

We also tent camped for 12 years before we bought our pop-up in 99'. We went with a new Coleman pop-up with the front storage trunk. I would say the pop-up a short person there would be no problem setting up and closing up by yourself.

Next we were going to buy another pop-up, but once we popped our heads into a hybrid that was were I see the most bang for your $$$$. Our first hybrid was a 24' model (2005) and we just bought another one this spring.

But with only 3500 towing capacity the lightest Aerolite hybrid is 2900 lbs. ( a 16 foot model). By the time you add AC and belongings, you would be maxed out...Our 2013 25' hybrid is about 4800-4900 loaded....Our 2005 24" hybrid was about 4400-4500 lbs loaded

The 1999 Coleman pop-up we had was a medium sized one with that front storage trunk. Trust me, if you go with a pup, get one with that front storage trunk. Here is a pic I think it weighed a hair under 2000 dry. Loaded we were at about 2400 lbs.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
For me the positives of pop ups ( had 3 of them) very easy to tow and park. Now the negatives...... we did not have air...... you are getting air so forget that one...... setting up wasn't bad, packing up I always hated because everything had to be below table level before you could lower the canvas. Also hated how they rocked in the wind..... and the biggie.... no bathroom/ other then that we enjoyed many years of camping in pop ups........
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
We had a popup for several years (and it served us well) before we upgraded to a hybrid. Ours was towards the bigger end of popups (Starcraft Centennial 3612 - in the 3800 GVWR range), but it had all the amenities you'd like (and probably then some). Ours had electric lift (which was a little bit of a pain to maintain, I would have preferred a manual lift), wet bath/toilet, AC, heater, stove, double sink, microwave, two queen beds, etc (you get the drift). It had plenty of room for the two of us (and a few dogs), but we outgrew it when we ended up with an entire pack of akitas (4!).

There are definitely pros and cons to the popup, and I would prefer the smaller R-pod type trailer for your use. But, it sounds like you prefer more room rather than the convenience of a quicker setup. Half the fun is researching to find what will work best; we spent a lot of weekend days visiting RV sales lots and RV shows before we decided to go with our Roo 233S (hybrid). Have fun and enjoy the search!
2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
Biken, you said that you would prefer the R-pod type for my use. Specifically what would you look at? Of course I like the spaciousness of a popup, especially now that I think about my two dogs who would often come along, and my large border collie is non-negotiable. She's my buddy! So, for times when my kids came along, and I have my border collie, and maybe the other dog, I do have to think of the room, but I also want something manageable.

I have had a ball looking at all of the options! They all appeal to me for different reasons. When you suggested the R-pod, was there a specific model you thought would be good? Is it because of the ease of use and travel that you would suggest an R-pod? I met a couple who were camping in a parking lot the other evening, and they were so kind and invited me to see inside of their fifth wheel! I fell in love with it, but of course, that's a little much for now. I thank you for your suggestion, and now I'm checking out he R-pod.