Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
My parents used to trailer camp a lot. Now that I'm of the same age (and doing the same thing) I have followed his advice. "Never scrimp on your tow vehicle." I bought a 2 year old Toyota Tundra with the big V8 and maxed out for towing. It pulls my Jay z17a with ease. Don't even know the trailer is attached.
That is why I also went with a Tundra. Planning a trip to Alaska in 16' or 17' and wanted the most reliable vehicle possible.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #16

The original post was awhile ago so you may have figured things out. I have the 2013 x17a. Love it. Tent ends get chilly but the bed warmers solve that. Clip on fans are good also.

Towing? I had a mazda cx9 which is just like the ford edge. 3.6 L v6. I would say, It would pull the trailer but not tow it well. It lagged on hills and the weight too close to max.

I just but the bullet and got a Toyota tundra. My stress on towing is gone. The small v8 would be great but I went for the bigger v8 so I could upgrade trailer in future with no issue.

That's my story.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsundin View Post
The original post was awhile ago so you may have figured things out. I have the 2013 x17a. Love it. Tent ends get chilly but the bed warmers solve that. Clip on fans are good also.

Towing? I had a mazda cx9 which is just like the ford edge. 3.6 L v6. I would say, It would pull the trailer but not tow it well. It lagged on hills and the weight too close to max.

I just but the bullet and got a Toyota tundra. My stress on towing is gone. The small v8 would be great but I went for the bigger v8 so I could upgrade trailer in future with no issue.

That's my story.
your "story" is very common. many are determined that they should be able to tow at least the smallest of hybrids, with their v-6 SUV/CUV/minivan, only to find that in the real world, it's NOT a pleasant experience.

frontal area resistance, hills/mountains, windy weather, poor torque are just a few of real world things that quickly show the weaknesses of such vehicles for towing a full height HTT/TT.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Went from a V-8 4Runner (2005) to a V-8 (5.7L) 2014 Tundra. Just finished a 1000 mile trip and got 10.8 MPG. towing the tt thru the mountains of SW. PA. and NE. WV.

** IF your plans ever take you thru Route 50 in the northeastern section of West Virginia, for get it. It was one of the worst / white knuckle drives I have ever taken...On a return drive from Blackwater State Park in WV we checked out two other WV. state parks along route 50 ( Tygart & North Bend). The roads to get to those two parks are so narrow and twisty, there should have been a sign saying "any RV over 6' wide and or 15' long turn around and go home".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #19

I am late to the party when I review the dates but this post is at the top of the forum so I will jump in.

A lot of good information but also a lot of people avoiding part of your original query.

I camped with my family in a pop-up as we grew from 3 people to 5 people. We towed it all over the place and camped typically for week long stays.

Yes, there is not a large water tank, but we had a collapsable 5 gallon jug we used to refill as needed and all of our drinking water was in gallon jugs, not from the camper.

We camped in many environments and used it for 10 years, we made sure it was dry when it was put away and washed it after every use. I never did anything to the canvas and never had a leak. Not one. Condensation was managed the same way it is in your house- fresh air, air movement, etc. and was never an issue for us. I covered the unit with a simple tarp for the winter.

I towed it with everything from a minivan to a full size SUV, including into the Appalachian mountains, the Catskills and Poconos and never once had an issue or felt unsafe.

Can't say this enough - we LOVED our pop-up.

We graduated into a hybrid only because the kids were turning into teenagers and were unwilling to share bunks and needed their space, etc.

I think a pop up makes a great first camper.