Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Smile Need reviews on hybrid tt

I have been tirelessly researching hybrid tts and hearing so many reviews on them and can't decide. I am leaning toward the 2014 Jayco x17a because I like the floorplan the best. I wanted to know what your experiences are with the tent ends, heating and cooling, condensation, and overall opinions. Would you get a hybrid tt again? My tv is a 2013 Ford edge limited with the towing package and I can tow up to 3500 lb. so I am looking for something manageable. My sister and her family got me into all of this and I am excited, we have 4 trips planned for next year already, now all I need is my tt......thanks!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy233 View Post
I have been tirelessly researching hybrid tts and hearing so many reviews on them and can't decide. I am leaning toward the 2014 Jayco x17a because I like the floorplan the best. I wanted to know what your experiences are with the tent ends, heating and cooling, condensation, and overall opinions. Would you get a hybrid tt again? My tv is a 2013 Ford edge limited with the towing package and I can tow up to 3500 lb. so I am looking for something manageable. My sister and her family got me into all of this and I am excited, we have 4 trips planned for next year already, now all I need is my tt......thanks!!!!!!
IMHO, i wouldn't tow a hybrid with any vehicle with just a 3500lbs. towing capacity.
there are a number of reasons why.
1. that 3500 number is rated with only a 150lb. driver in the Edge. any additional passengers or stuff in it, will reduce that 3500 number.
2. the frontal area of the hybrid will exceed Ford's frontal area limit. that should be in the manual's towing section.
3. nearly all hybrids with the GVWR of 3500lbs., will have VERY LOW cargo carrying capacity numbers. and you have to subtract the weights of the options(awning, oven, microwave, a/c, spare tire, etc...), battery, water, propane before you can even think about cargo.
this is from Jayco's website: "Sometimes referred to as "Dry Weight." UVW means the typical weight of this trailer as built at the factory. The UVW, as used in product literature and other promotional materials, does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, options or dealer-installed accessories."
the 17A has a CCC of 685lbs. so subtract about 250-300lbs. for "options, 35lbs. for battery, 40lbs. for propane, 232lbs. for a full tank of water and
what do you have left over for cargo: 122-172lbs.
and that's what you have with only a 150lb. driver in the Edge.
4. not knowing where you live, any mountains/hills will tax the Edge and hasten wear and tear between the weight and the air resistance of a full height trailer.

since you have a very marginal vehicle to tow with, you should really be doing more research into towing, than into reviews of hybrids. IMO, you should be considering a popup or teardrop type trailer.

i won't go into the other stuff except to say that i would buy another hybrid in a heartbeat. BUT you need to have a decent tow vehicle to be able to safely and efficiently tow something like a hybrid.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

Well the one I looked at had a weight of 3000 with all the dealer add ons and full propane tanks. I don't plan to dry camp so I won't need a full water tank. I was under the impression (I know they are salesmen) that they would not to to sell you something that is not safe.... Maybe I am just naive... Is this not possible to tow with my car with those additional facts? Also, i live in nj and plan to keep my travels within a few hours from home so I don't plan to go out west.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy233 View Post
I was under the impression (I know they are salesmen) that they would not to to sell you something that is not safe.... Maybe I am just naive...
YES, your are naive cause this happens all the time.

how much weight will be in your Edge, over a 150lb. driver?
what is the Edge's GCWR, or Gross Combined Weight Rating? this is the max the car/trailer combo can weigh.
also, have you read the Towing section in your manual, regarding frontal area limits? any HTT or TT will exceed that for your Edge.

if the trailer's yellow sticker weight is 3000lbs., that only gives you 500lbs. left over for cargo and battery in the trailer, IF you only have a 150lb. driver in the Edge.

bottom line is that even scrimping on cargo, you'll be at the Edge's max towing capacity.

IMO, i never want to be towing at a vehicle's max amount. it is a strain on the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

The manual says do not exceed 30 feet squared.... The max trailer weight is 3500 lb and the max gcwr is 8400 lb
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #7

Also. There will likely be two ppl in the car, over 150 lb
Old 12-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #8

well, the frontal area of a hybrid or a TT will exceed that limit that Ford states.

i've presented reasons why not to do what you want to do. but you can do what you want and it's your car.

you might want to post on some other more active Hybrid forums, where you'll get way more opinions than here.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I was under the impression (I know they are salesmen) that they would not to to sell you something that is not safe.... Maybe I am just naive... Is this not possible to tow with my car with those additional facts?
Simple fact...they are in sales...Only you will know what is safe. Their there to make a sale. With that said...Most RV trailers should have a decal either in the first cabinet or like mine by the door that says "this RV weighs xxxx delivered with options".

We are on our 2nd hybrid. The first one was a 2005 Aerolite 24' and the 2nd is a now a 2013 Aerolite 25'. Love the hybrids, but only if they have a slide..I don't think I would buy one that didn't have a slide. The first one only had the couch in a small slide, the 2nd has the couch and the kitchen. The slide just opens up the whole thing.

One thing I noticed on the Jayco's are the tiny fresh water tanks. 28 gallons which includes the 6 gallon hot water tank. So now your really at a 23 gallon tank. We have a 54 in the Aerolite, the old 05' one had 46. You can get by on 23 for a weekend and maybe two quick showers. We do a lot of 7 night stays where 23 gallon tank is a joke. That is why Jayco hybrids for us were deal killers off the bat. The poster above also said the cargo capacity on that unit was a tiny 680 lbs. That again is without options...We have like 2400lbs...cap. The positives on that x17A is the tub shower which I like better that the corner ones. And you actually have some counter space. And that "U" shaped dinette you can use as a place to eat or relax in the evening. We have a U dinette in our new unit and my wife sit and do her Ipad, my son will lay out and do his thing and I get the couch...

I just think your pushing it with the Ford Edge. Remember that is a 8' wide trailer. There are 7', 7-1/2' and 8' wide hybrids. So your going to be pushing a bunch of air, most likely needing a weight distribution hitch which again will add 75+ pounds.

Our 2013 is 4350 dry,loaded I'm at 5100 and tow with a Toyota 4Runner ( V-8) rated at 7200. The Toyota is a medium sized SUV and even with the 7200 tow rating I don't thing I would want to tow any larger of a tt than I do now. I do have a new Tundra on order with the 5.7L V-8 that will let me tow up to 10k.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #10

It seems I am now going in a different direction. I spoke with my dad and he has a 2005 F250 that I will be using for the time being and I am looking to go bigger. I have settled on the Jayco 21FBS. This is a total 180 but I am now in the research phase of the new tt that I am looking to purchase. I am back at the drawing board..... I will use that tv for the time being and then upgrade my tv to a dodge Durango in 2014. Any knowledge about the Jayco 21FBS?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #11

well, since it's not a hybrid nor an expandable, i think you'd get more responses in the TT section here, since it's a conventional TT.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Jayco 21FBS
It does have a much larger fresh water tank....and the cargo capacity is triple what that hybrid you first posted.

The F-250 will give much more options to shop for a RV. Still find out exactly what the 250 can tow. My 2010 Trailer Life Magazine Towing guide has the F-250 towing anywhere from 8300 up to 12,500. All depending on cab, engine, tranny, rear end gears....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #13

My parents used to trailer camp a lot. Now that I'm of the same age (and doing the same thing) I have followed his advice. "Never scrimp on your tow vehicle." I bought a 2 year old Toyota Tundra with the big V8 and maxed out for towing. It pulls my Jay z17a with ease. Don't even know the trailer is attached.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #14

The F250 sounds like a good decision.

Many small SUVs and mini vans have a 3500lbs tow rating, so many small trailers claim to fit that 3500lbs market segment, but the reality is that many of the vehicles with the 3500 tow rating can't tow these vehicles but a short distance.

My Isuzu Trooper claims 5000lbs tow, and I have a trailer that claimed 2000lbs dry. Reality is the trailer is about 2500 dry, and I would not want to tow much more weight with the Trooper. Honestly I suspect I'll kill my transmission trying to tow my 17 foot hybrid.

I have been pretty impressed with the Jayco trailers. They seem to be well built, and my research seemed to find many devoted owners.

Enjoy!

-Wayne