Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Need tow vehicle advice

My wife and I are looking at buying a hybrid TT. The dry weight is just under 4200 lbs with the gross weight being just under 5400 lbs. I have been looking at all the towing articles, tow rating charts etc etc. My wife would like to stay away from a truck because the tow vehicle will be her work vehicle (I drive 70 miles round trip to work, she drives 1 mile round trip.) She is just not into driving a truck as her everyday vehicle. All that to say, I have a couple of questions. 1) If we went with a truck what is the best truck to get? Make, model awd, 2wd and we are looking to buy used and 2) if an SUV, what would be a good sub? Is there a simpler way to figure out what would be a vehicle that would tow a 4200 lbs trailer? Thanks for the I put.
gjacobs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjacobs12 View Post
My wife and I are looking at buying a hybrid TT. The dry weight is just under 4200 lbs with the gross weight being just under 5400 lbs. I have been looking at all the towing articles, tow rating charts etc etc. My wife would like to stay away from a truck because the tow vehicle will be her work vehicle (I drive 70 miles round trip to work, she drives 1 mile round trip.) She is just not into driving a truck as her everyday vehicle. All that to say, I have a couple of questions. 1) If we went with a truck what is the best truck to get? Make, model awd, 2wd and we are looking to buy used and 2) if an SUV, what would be a good sub? Is there a simpler way to figure out what would be a vehicle that would tow a 4200 lbs trailer? Thanks for the I put.
you won't get far asking "what is the best truck to get?"
every brand and type of truck has very LOYAL owners and fans.
you'll get recommendations for everything that's called a truck.

you need to go out and drive some different ones and see what YOU like, not what others like.

that said, one big thing i found out, when i was shopping for a new tow vehicle for my HTT, that the newer and larger v-8 trucks, get almost the same gas mileage as the smaller v-6 trucks.
for example, the Silverado 5.3 v-8 truck gets about the same mpg as a v-6 Frontier, Tacoma or Ridgeline.
and it has way more tow capacity and interior room.

there's a misconception that the smaller and lighter v-6 trucks get much better gas mileage than the v-8 full size trucks and it's just not true.
unfortunately, other than the Ford Ecoboost, v-6 engine technology has not progressed like v-8 engine technology, over the past 5-7 years.

figure on a truck/SUV with a towing capacity of at least 6000lbs. since using "dry" weight numbers is useless.
remember you're going to pulling a 5000lbs. giant brick through the air and torque is really needed to overcome the air resistance.

no need for 4x4 or AWD to tow, unless you need it for where you live. it lowers the mpg numbers and towing numbers.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
PEJ

I echo the 6000Lbs since the trailer dry weight 0n the glossy does not include battery, propane tanks, or any factory options. Assume the trailer is at least 5000 plus water, etc. and...You really need a safety factor. If you are tempted by a smaller SUV tow vehicle look at its cargo capacity as well as its tow capacity. I bought a Ford Escape (not an SUV, but 3500Lb tow capacity) to tow my 1900 Lb pop-up. No problem right? ... The Escape cargo capacity is ONLY 1015 lbs. My actual trailer tongue weight is 300 leaving only 700 LBs for people and gear in the Escape. The older teens are not interested in camping (with us) otherwise we would be at the max.

Read the max weight and cargo labels on the door pillars of the vehicles you test drive - do not rely on glossies. Do the math before you buy.

Peter
PEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you won't get far asking "what is the best truck to get?"
every brand and type of truck has very LOYAL owners and fans.
you'll get recommendations for everything that's called a truck.

you need to go out and drive some different ones and see what YOU like, not what others like.

that said, one big thing i found out, when i was shopping for a new tow vehicle for my HTT, that the newer and larger v-8 trucks, get almost the same gas mileage as the smaller v-6 trucks.
for example, the Silverado 5.3 v-8 truck gets about the same mpg as a v-6 Frontier, Tacoma or Ridgeline.
and it has way more tow capacity and interior room.

there's a misconception that the smaller and lighter v-6 trucks get much better gas mileage than the v-8 full size trucks and it's just not true.
unfortunately, other than the Ford Ecoboost, v-6 engine technology has not progressed like v-8 engine technology, over the past 5-7 years.

figure on a truck/SUV with a towing capacity of at least 6000lbs. since using "dry" weight numbers is useless.
remember you're going to pulling a 5000lbs. giant brick through the air and torque is really needed to overcome the air resistance.

no need for 4x4 or AWD to tow, unless you need it for where you live. it lowers the mpg numbers and towing numbers.
I have ruled out any v-6. That is what I explained to my wife. She as well was under the misconception that a v6 would get much MPG than a v8. She really does not want a truck. It has nothing to do with the driving as it is with just not wanting a truck to be her everyday vehicle. So we are looking at an SUV. possibly a expedition, but am not locked into a particular make/model. I really appreciate the input. Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

the '07 and newer Tahoe and Suburban models have the AFM/DOD 5.3 engines with the v-4 feature.
they and my '7 Avalanche(Suburban with a pickup bed) can get 20mpg on the highway.
the newer ones now have a 6-speed tranny and get a mile or two better, than the ones with the 4-speed tranny.

the new Grand Cherokee/Durango has the Hemi with the same v-4 feature.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
We bought a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7l Hemi MDS. Tows our Keystone Bullet 246RBS Like a dream. We wanted this truck for the MDS feature of the Hemi. When towing we have all the power we want but when using as a daily driver we are averaging over 20 mpg's! The MDS Hemi is only in the 1500's so you lose a little payload compared to the 2500's but if you match you TT to the truck you should be okay. We have the factory tow and brake control package as well. Tow rated at 8500lbs so we wanted to keep or TT as close to 5000lbs as possible. The Bullet fit our needs perfectly with its weight,length and floor plan.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow a 4200 (dry) / 4900 (wet) hybrid tt (25') with a V-8 Toyota 4-Runner.....The V-8 4-Runner gets great MPG. as a every day driver. Going to work (city driving I get 17 MPG and hy-way I get 23-24 MPG). The ride is very smooth for a medium sized SUV. Even after 8 seasons the ride on my 05' Toyota is like new....I'm looking for a replacement vehicle, but as of about 2 years ago Toyota does not offer the V-8 in the 4-Runners.

The V-8 is rated to tow 7200lbs.

I have had this vehicle since new (2005) and about 425 nights of camping...Yes that is 425 nights over 8 seasons...

Our first hybrid tt was a 05' Aerolite 3900 (dry) / 4500 (wet). The new 2013' Aerolite hybrid tt is 4376 (dry delivered) and about 4900 lbs wet.

The old 05' tt we got 12 to 12.5 towing. The new tt get 11 mpg because it is 7" taller.....I'm OK with that...

I'm in the same boat where I want a new tow vehicle...I'm thinking about a Tundra with the 5.7 / V-8....My other choose would be full sized SUV's but they are just too $$$$$
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We tow a 4200 (dry) / 4900 (wet) hybrid tt (25') with a V-8 Toyota 4-Runner.....The V-8 4-Runner gets great MPG. as a every day driver. Going to work (city driving I get 17 MPG and hy-way I get 23-24 MPG). The ride is very smooth for a medium sized SUV. Even after 8 seasons the ride on my 05' Toyota is like new....I'm looking for a replacement vehicle, but as of about 2 years ago Toyota does not offer the V-8 in the 4-Runners.

The V-8 is rated to tow 7200lbs.

I have had this vehicle since new (2005) and about 425 nights of camping...Yes that is 425 nights over 8 seasons...

Our first hybrid tt was a 05' Aerolite 3900 (dry) / 4500 (wet). The new 2013' Aerolite hybrid tt is 4376 (dry delivered) and about 4900 lbs wet.

The old 05' tt we got 12 to 12.5 towing. The new tt get 11 mpg because it is 7" taller.....I'm OK with that...

I'm in the same boat where I want a new tow vehicle...I'm thinking about a Tundra with the 5.7 / V-8....My other choose would be full sized SUV's but they are just too $$$$$
I'm with you, Jim . I would prefer a truck with a super crew cab and a short box. I see that as more practical, however my wife just doesn't want to drive a truck everyday. I didn't think about a 4 runner. That would be a possibility for me. The one thing I do have is time. We are in no rush to get either a tow vehicle or new ( to us) tt, but would like to have one for next summer for our trip to myrtle beach. So the 4 runner made a v8 up until 2010? Is that what your saying, because I've been looking at suv's from 2 to 4 years old.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

Go through the some of the other threads.....this question gets asked literally once every few weeks. Plenty of good advice there.

Get a Jeep. You'll thank me later.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

Why a Jeep, Jon? I've not loyalist to any brand but would like to know what makes Jeep a good tow vehicle.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep GC is not a good tow vehicle due to a high center of gravity and a short wheelbase.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had a TT we used the DW's 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ to pull it. The TT weighed in at close to 5000#. The Tahoe had a towing capacity of 7,500#. The set up worked great, however I think a Suburban would tow even better due to the longer wheel base. Tahoe is 208" Suburban is 222"
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjacobs12 View Post
Why a Jeep, Jon? I've not loyalist to any brand but would like to know what makes Jeep a good tow vehicle.
i'd like the answer to that, especially when most RV forums feel the Jeeps are very poor tow vehicles, except for the Grand Cherokees.
especially the new ones.

maybe Jon Mopar is thinking of a Jeep "Toad", instead of a Jeep as a tow vehicle, since he owns a Damon.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #14

^ this is true. I just breezed through, and thought you needed something to tow...not tow with.

My neighbor just bought a new Durango (a Citadel version actually) to tow a 27travel trailer. Having driven them, I can say that they have a nice wide/low stance, and a lower center of gravity vs. tall truck-like Tahoes....and my neighbor agrees, it tows like a charm. Prior to this, he towed with a Yukon. The V6 towing capacity of 6200lbs, but he opted for the V8. Great MPG for a V8, and it can pull a house.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote