Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
CD

And the 7500lbs was probably the dry weight. My 28' has a 10400lb GVWR.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I was trying to be real nice about telling him just how over loaded he was...I just feel sorry for that V-6 engine...Usually 5k is about the limit for a V-6. Except the Toyota Tecoma 4.0 V-6 is rated at 6500 lbs according to my Trailer Life towing guide. I think the Ford Ranger V-6 is also well over 5k towing.

I'm thinking about a truck next...besides towing my tt, there have been so many situations where I wish I had a truck. I think what is holding me back is that my last three 4-Runners SUV's fit in my garage. A truck will not. And it's going to have to be parked in front of the garage (2 car garage) blocking my wife's car from using the garage....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
My personal experience is that as soon as you upgrade your tow vehicle and you expand your tow capacity, you will begin to look at all the "bigger and better" trailers and maybe even fith wheels that you can now pull and that will soon lead to a trailer upgrade....that is unless you are just tickled pink with the unit you are looking at now and wouldn't "move up" to a larger unit even if you could...either way, you will have a blast in whatever you get!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothy
I have an Equalizer and I can tell you it works great. I feel no sway even with tractor tractor trailers pass me. As far as weights the hitch is heavy so that is going to add tongue weight. Also keep in mind the added cargo you will add to the TV itself when figuring your weights. It might be a hassle but you might want to see if you can pull it to a scale before your purchase. I purchased my hitch from PPL Motorhomes and set it up myself.
My equalizer hitch is new and I just got setup for my F 150 pickup.
The L brackets are noisy in the factory says that will go away after a while. Is that true?
My neighbors had his for over a year in it still makes of a helluva noise.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #19

Mine still makes noise and it has been over a year. I think this is somewhat normal.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
My equalizer hitch is new and I just got setup for my F 150 pickup.
The L brackets are noisy in the factory says that will go away after a while. Is that true?
My neighbors had his for over a year in it still makes of a helluva noise.
getting the Bracket Jackets and greasing the recommended areas should get rid of most of the noise.
i just grease mine correctly and i get some noise occasionally.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #21

Factory CS said, don't grease L bracket. Everything else is good to go. Would graphite be a solution?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
Factory CS said, don't grease L bracket. Everything else is good to go. Would graphite be a solution?
that's why i mentioned the Bracket Jackets.
check out the manufacturer's website for them:

http://http://www.equalizerhitch.com...31b1sm7c6k6gu3

i didn't say grease the L-brackets, i said the recommended areas, which are other places on the hitch, including the ball.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #23

Thanks for your help.

I called the factory today and ask them about graphite they said it would reduce the noise and the stabilisation. They are designed to be on a metal on metal. They said the jackets would give about a 5 percent noise reduction. I ordered a couple sets, one for my neighbor.
Finding out Wednesday when they come in.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #24

Have a look at the trailer designs used in Europe! Their wheels seem to be much farther afield that most of the designs in the US! Making their tongue weights much lighter, they tow larger trailers with smaller vehicles at same or higher speeds! A simple car has higher towing limits there than the same car here in our litigious country. I believe only Volvo keeps the limits the same here and there, and then there was SAAB but the rest of the nut turners cut the towing limits by 30 to 50 percent for the US market aaAAArrrRRrGGGG. Those countries are just as safety conscious etc etc, its just barriers placed there to protect the US automakers from the old days. Those same rules delayed the US conglomerates from bringing their European models here quickly to save themselves when the imports were eating their lunch. Some day the standards will be unified and we can have some of the superior technologies being used in Europe at the same time they get em. Shameful that GM and Ford cannot bring their smaller diesels here to the states and take over the market here for them. Where as in Europe they are all the rage. Check out Gulfstream Visa models you might like them, they are light and crossover and minivan tow able as per specs. The lightweight Reese weight distribution hitch or equalizer hitch will help a little but is not absolutely necessary for the Visa, while being towed by a V6 fuel injected suv. The mpg while towing is not much to write home about 10 to 11 ish at 63, but when the same set up was towed by a diesel powered import SUV the mpg went up to 14.5 to 16 depending on speeds with the 16 coming in at 63 and similar terrain as the gas v6 tow trip. On both vehicles the trailer did not feel like it was impeding the vehicle in any way, but the torque of the diesel sure felt good and the transmission did not shift out of top gear majority of the time. Oh the hitch was a plain old Uhaul NO weight distribution or stabilization, just a brake controller. The diesel 4 runner that the rest of the world has available would be such an awesome vehicle here, same goes for the GM and Ford variants but perhaps with the new CAFE rules that have been negotiated in place we may get them sooner rather than later and make us more of an energy exporter rather than keeping us under the gun in the middle east.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Have a look at the trailer designs used in Europe! Their wheels seem to be much farther afield that most of the designs in the US! Making their tongue weights much lighter, .
I don't know what you mean by (Their wheels seem to be much farther afield that most of the designs in the US! Making their tongue weights much lighter). If that means the axles are farther foreward to make the tongue lighter, that is a recipe for bad handling. Have you ever seen a semi trailer with the axles near the center of the trailer? I have an equipment trailer that has the axles back closer to the rear and it is the best handling trailer I have had and it doesn't need (or do I use) sway control bars.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #26

HI CD,

There seems to be some difference in the design logic in US and Europe. Check out the "semi" trailers pictured here.
Kögel Euro Trailer*:: Kögel - einfach mehr drauf
Not the dumper but the semi types.
Now check out these campers there also have multiaxle but in a rush I could only find this one.
Kendy Caravans

Check out the auto/equipment trailer in this pic
Kendy Trailers

I am not sure which system is better, but do see how a tow
vehicle will not have to be a monster truck to tow trailers
as it will not be bearing weight at the tail end tip plus therefore
requiring a super heavy front and a beefy rear suspension!